HTTPS Connection in Email Notifications Can't be Made

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
BuddhaNature

HTTPS Connection in Email Notifications Can't be Made

Post by BuddhaNature »

I subscribe to some of the forums here. Because I do so I get email notification informing me of new posts. A few minutes ago I got such a notification. I clicked on a link in the email to view the newest post. However, on connection I get the following in Firefox:
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to forums.mozillazine.org:80. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.
Seems that the links in the email are for HTTPS but the site/Firefox won't let me connect because there is some problem in using HTTPS.

Anyone else having this problem with notification emails and connecting?

Also if this is a persistent problem (for now) then emails, I would think, should just be using the HTTP for links in the notification emails.
BuddhaNature

Re: HTTPS Connection in Email Notifications Can't be Made

Post by BuddhaNature »

Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Use HTTP instead which fix's the problem, as i posted the other day about it http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14932266
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Yes, I understand that and did work that out quite quickly. However it is nonetheless the case that the notification email did contain HTTPS links. So I was thinking that someone somewhere had made this change to notification emails. So who did that and why?

In any case, I got a notification email this morning and the links were back to using HTTP and those links work just fine.