[COMPLETE] Knowledge Base Upgrade - November 28th 2022

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

[COMPLETE] Knowledge Base Upgrade - November 28th 2022

Post by osuadmin »

Hello all,

Over the last several months we have been trying to work out what went wrong with the previous attempt at upgrading the forums. We believe we have worked out the issues at this point and are doing some final tests before deploying the upgrades.

As part of the upgrades, we found that the Knowledge Base is running on a pretty old version of MediaWiki. While the forum upgrade will take a little more time before it is ready, we are prepared to upgrade the MediaWiki to a far more recent version (1.6.8 -> 1.26.4). In particular, this will alleviate some technology limitations on our end that result from needing to support such an old version.

The upgrades to MediaWiki for the Knowledge Base are planned to occur November 28th, 2022 at 10am GMT-8. There will be a short downtime as the upgrades are performed. I will post here to announce when the upgrade is beginning and when it is complete.

We will inform you when we are prepared to upgrade the forums as well.

Have a great day,
OSUOSL Sysadmins

---

UPDATE:
The MediaWiki upgrade is complete. Please inform us of any issues with the Knowledge Base so we can resolve them. We will post another announcement thread when we are ready to begin the forum upgrades. Have a wonderful day!
Last edited by osuadmin on November 28th, 2022, 1:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Snake4

Re: Knowledge Base Upgrade - November 28th 2022

Post by Snake4 »

Goodluck with upgrading the forums, lets hope the 2nd time goes well
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

OSUOSL, thank you for your careful attention to the well-being of the SeaMonkey board.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Peter Creasey wrote:OSUOSL, thank you for your careful attention to the well-being of the SeaMonkey board.
its anything Mozilla, its not just Seamonkey ya know Peter
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

Post by osuadmin »

UPDATE:

The MediaWiki upgrade is currently in progress. We will update again when it is complete.
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

Re: [IN PROGRESS] Knowledge Base Upgrade - November 28th 202

Post by osuadmin »

UPDATE:

The MediaWiki upgrade is now complete. All that's left on our end is some cleanup. We will post another thread when we are ready to begin deploying the forum upgrades.
Snake4

Re: [COMPLETE] Knowledge Base Upgrade - November 28th 2022

Post by Snake4 »

just took a look, Great Job :), an goodluck upgrading forums
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

osuadmin wrote:UPDATE:

The MediaWiki upgrade is now complete. All that's left on our end is some cleanup. We will post another thread when we are ready to begin deploying the forum upgrades.
I don't seem to be able to login to the KB with my usual KB password and it's not sending me a new one under the 'Forgot password?' option.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Frank Lion wrote:

I don't seem to be able to login to the KB with my usual KB password and it's not sending me a new one under the 'Forgot password?' option.
this might be a dumb question but would it have something to do with the current phpbb version not being https ? where as the KB is
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

Post by osuadmin »

Frank Lion wrote:

Interesting. I will investigate, but if anyone else can corroborate having similar issues as well as any specific details, that would be helpful.

Thanks,
OSUOSL Sysadmins
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

hopefully this dont happen when Forum is upgraded . is the KB password the same as the forum or seperate? i wouldnt know since i have never used the KB
James

Post by James »

The KB account is separate from the forum account. Was able to login to my KB account (under a slightly different name) even though I had not logged in for some years.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

James wrote:The KB account is separate from the forum account. Was able to login to my KB account even though I had not logged in for some years.
ok thanks James, i was unsure as i did try with forum password
Tin Smith

Post by Tin Smith »

Snake4 wrote:
James wrote:The KB account is separate from the forum account. Was able to login to my KB account even though I had not logged in for some years.
ok thanks James, i was unsure as i did try with forum password

Does anyone know? Just how out of date the KB information might be today?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

osuadmin wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:I don't seem to be able to login to the KB with my usual KB password and it's not sending me a new one under the 'Forgot password?' option.
Interesting. I will investigate...
Thanks for the KB update and your reply. Other people have confirmed to me, via PM, that they can login into the KB with their old KB details. So, the only problem remaining is fixing why webmasterATmozillazine.org is not sending out KB password reset emails.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)