[COMPLETE] Knowledge Base Upgrade - November 28th 2022

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Tomatoshadow2

Re: [COMPLETE] Knowledge Base Upgrade - November 28th 2022

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

@Frank Lion I was also able to use my KB login details to login there also, as it has a separate password from my forum account
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

A FWIW...
I just logged in using the same original/mozillaZine info.

For the "osuadmin."
But....I still cannot "MOVE" any errant posts anywhere. (ie; Posts in the wrong forum/spam ...etc., etc.)
I have to ask the other Mods to do the deed.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Tomatoshadow2 wrote:@Frank Lion I was also able to use my KB login details to login there also, as it has a separate password from my forum account
Thanks, you ol' tomato, it is what it is. I've tried my KB password from 4 years back to zero effect and Admin still haven't sent a password reset out. So, no editing from me. :)

Still, saves me having to bring some 4 years out of date KB articles up to date, I suppose.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

Post by osuadmin »

Hello,

We have deployed an update to the Knowledge Base which we are hoping will fix the failure to send password recovery emails. Please let us know if issues continue to occur.

Thanks,

OSUOSL Sysadmins
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

osuadmin wrote:Please let us know if issues continue to occur.
KB still not taking my KB password. So, did the 'forgot password?' routine and now get this (same on http version) -
https://kb.mozillazine.org/Special:PasswordReset

Internal error

Code: Select all

[2e2e2508] 2022-12-10 21:42:28: Fatal exception of type "MWException"
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

Post by osuadmin »

Frank Lion wrote:
osuadmin wrote:Please let us know if issues continue to occur.
KB still not taking my KB password. So, did the 'forgot password?' routine and now get this (same on http version) -
https://kb.mozillazine.org/Special:PasswordReset

Internal error

[2e2e2508] 2022-12-10 21:42:28: Fatal exception of type "MWException"
Apologies for the delay. We have updated the Knowledge Base configuration to show more specific errors. If you could please let us know what particular errors are being reported, this would be very helpful.

Thanks,
OSUOSL Sysadmins
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

any News on the Forum Update?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

osuadmin wrote:If you could please let us know what particular errors are being reported, this would be very helpful.
Entering details on 'Forgot your Password?' page now gives this -

Internal error

[e5aa85bc] /Special:PasswordReset MWException from line 291 of /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/mail/UserMailer.php: PEAR mail package is not installed

Backtrace:

#0 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/User.php(4279): UserMailer::send(MailAddress, MailAddress, string, string, array)
#1 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/specials/SpecialPasswordReset.php(276): User->sendMail(string, string)
#2 [internal function]: SpecialPasswordReset->onSubmit(array, OOUIHTMLForm)
#3 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/htmlform/HTMLForm.php(580): call_user_func(array, array, OOUIHTMLForm)
#4 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/htmlform/HTMLForm.php(503): HTMLForm->trySubmit()
#5 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/htmlform/HTMLForm.php(518): HTMLForm->tryAuthorizedSubmit()
#6 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/specialpage/FormSpecialPage.php(154): HTMLForm->show()
#7 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/specialpage/SpecialPage.php(384): FormSpecialPage->execute(NULL)
#8 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/specialpage/SpecialPageFactory.php(553): SpecialPage->run(NULL)
#9 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/MediaWiki.php(281): SpecialPageFactory::executePath(Title, RequestContext)
#10 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/MediaWiki.php(714): MediaWiki->performRequest()
#11 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/MediaWiki.php(508): MediaWiki->main()
#12 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/index.php(41): MediaWiki->run()
#13 {main}
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

Post by osuadmin »

Frank Lion wrote:
osuadmin wrote:If you could please let us know what particular errors are being reported, this would be very helpful.
Entering details on 'Forgot your Password?' page now gives this -

Internal error

[e5aa85bc] /Special:PasswordReset MWException from line 291 of /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/mail/UserMailer.php: PEAR mail package is not installed

Backtrace:

#0 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/User.php(4279): UserMailer::send(MailAddress, MailAddress, string, string, array)
#1 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/specials/SpecialPasswordReset.php(276): User->sendMail(string, string)
#2 [internal function]: SpecialPasswordReset->onSubmit(array, OOUIHTMLForm)
#3 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/htmlform/HTMLForm.php(580): call_user_func(array, array, OOUIHTMLForm)
#4 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/htmlform/HTMLForm.php(503): HTMLForm->trySubmit()
#5 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/htmlform/HTMLForm.php(518): HTMLForm->tryAuthorizedSubmit()
#6 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/specialpage/FormSpecialPage.php(154): HTMLForm->show()
#7 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/specialpage/SpecialPage.php(384): FormSpecialPage->execute(NULL)
#8 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/specialpage/SpecialPageFactory.php(553): SpecialPage->run(NULL)
#9 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/MediaWiki.php(281): SpecialPageFactory::executePath(Title, RequestContext)
#10 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/MediaWiki.php(714): MediaWiki->performRequest()
#11 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/includes/MediaWiki.php(508): MediaWiki->main()
#12 /var/www/kb.mozillazine.org/htdocs/index.php(41): MediaWiki->run()
#13 {main}
Ok, this lines up with what I expected. It seems that the Knowledge Base has been unable to send emails for a long while as nothing on the server was set up to support that feature. It's possible that feature was never functional. We have made a few more updates which should set up the server to permit recovery emails on the Knowledge Base. It is possible that one more error may pop up - while everything works in our testing environments, upgrading software through 10 years of updates can have unexpected effects as we have seen. Please let me know if you are finally able to successfully get a recovery email sent, or if not what error is being reported.

Thanks,
OSUOSL Sysadmins
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

Post by osuadmin »

Snake4 wrote:any News on the Forum Update?
It is coming as quick as we are able. The Knowledge Base's software was sufficiently out of date that it was holding back our technology stack on the Mozillazine server, preventing the upgrades to the forum from occurring. As such, making sure the Knowledge Base is relatively up-to-date and functional became a priority. We have the infrastructure set up to enable relatively quick testing of the forum upgrade, but whether we are able to deploy it in the near future depends on what issues come up in testing. We will update you when we have further news.

Thanks,
OSUOSL Sysadmins
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

osuadmin wrote:Ok, this lines up with what I expected. It seems that the Knowledge Base has been unable to send emails for a long while as nothing on the server was set up to support that feature. It's possible that feature was never functional.
It was working right up to at least 2018, which is when I last requested a new KB password.
Please let me know if you are finally able to successfully get a recovery email sent, or if not what error is being reported.
Tested using http and https versions and both return this -

Error sending mail: false authentication failure [SMTP: STARTTLS failed (code: 220, response: 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS)]
Thanks for your help so far.
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

Post by osuadmin »

Frank Lion wrote:
osuadmin wrote:Ok, this lines up with what I expected. It seems that the Knowledge Base has been unable to send emails for a long while as nothing on the server was set up to support that feature. It's possible that feature was never functional.
It was working right up to at least 2018, which is when I last requested a new KB password.
Please let me know if you are finally able to successfully get a recovery email sent, or if not what error is being reported.
Tested using http and https versions and both return this -

Error sending mail: false authentication failure [SMTP: STARTTLS failed (code: 220, response: 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS)]
Thanks for your help so far.
I have resolved this issue. Please try again, I am expecting success this time.

Thanks,
OSUOSL Sysadmins
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

osuadmin wrote: I have resolved this issue. Please try again, I am expecting success this time.
Page now claims to have sent Email (without errors) but no Email is ever received. (maybe OAuth2 problem at your end as this, in my case, is a Gmail address?)
osuadmin
mozillaZine Admin

Post by osuadmin »

Frank Lion wrote:
osuadmin wrote: I have resolved this issue. Please try again, I am expecting success this time.
Page now claims to have sent Email (without errors) but no Email is ever received. (maybe OAuth2 problem at your end as this, in my case, is a Gmail address?)
I am currently investigating, but to make sure all bases are covered - you have checked all folders, including spam?

Thanks,
OSUOSL Sysadmins
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

osuadmin wrote:... you have checked all folders, including spam?
Yep.