MozillaZine

Not remembering which topics have not been read...

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
ksheka

User avatar
 
Posts: 102
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 5:46 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA

Post Posted November 23rd, 2002, 7:19 am

Is it just me, or has the forum index forgotten which topics have been read, and which have not? Right now it shows all messages have been read by me, even though that's not even close to being true. :-) This is on Mozilla Build 2002112108 and IE6 under WinXP (Just to make sure it's not a bad build. :-) )

tve
Moderator
 
Posts: 3275
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 12:07 pm
Location: Federal Republic of Germany

Post Posted November 24th, 2002, 9:41 am

same here... works perfect on Invision Board's BBS though :P

*wishs that MZ converts to very very server-friendly and ultrafast IBF*

:D

zipo13

User avatar
 
Posts: 60
Joined: November 8th, 2002, 8:03 am
Location: Israel

Post Posted November 24th, 2002, 2:48 pm

Seem fine to me with
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021115

kerz
mozillaZine Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 1799
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 2:04 pm

Post Posted November 24th, 2002, 4:26 pm

Works fine for me. If your cookies file is getting trashed, that could be the reason.

jason

ksheka

User avatar
 
Posts: 102
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 5:46 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 8:23 am

ksheka wrote:Is it just me, or has the forum index forgotten which topics have been read, and which have not? Right now it shows all messages have been read by me, even though that's not even close to being true. :-) This is on Mozilla Build 2002112108 and IE6 under WinXP (Just to make sure it's not a bad build. :-) )


Just as an update:

It seems that messages are getting read if they were not today. Anyone else seeing this?

It's not a cookie problem, I think, since I'm seeing the same behavior with IE 5.x and 6 and multiple builds of Mozilla on three different computers (Current using Build 2002120308).

nicubunu

User avatar
 
Posts: 675
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 4:55 am
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 1:07 am

If the information is kept in cookies then is valid for one browser on one computer. If you use the forums from two places (two browsers on the same computer or two computers with the same browser) you got some cookies in one place and some on another.
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>

ksheka

User avatar
 
Posts: 102
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 5:46 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 5:54 am

nicubunu wrote:If the information is kept in cookies then is valid for one browser on one computer. If you use the forums from two places (two browsers on the same computer or two computers with the same browser) you got some cookies in one place and some on another.


Well, I guess the question is: Is information kept in cookies on the client computer (easier but not as flexible) or on the server associated with the user name (more complex to set up the site, but more flexible)?

nicubunu

User avatar
 
Posts: 675
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 4:55 am
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 6:01 am

kerz wrote:Works fine for me. If your cookies file is getting trashed, that could be the reason.


jason


Jason is admin , so if he says cookies, probably that is the situation. And you can check in the Cookie Manager.
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 7:36 am

kerz wrote:Works fine for me. If your cookies file is getting trashed, that could be the reason.

jason


One problem I'm seeing is that if you log in, you may have 50 or so unread messages. Then you accidentally close the browser and login again and all messages are marked as read. Why? Can't it remember which message I've read between the sessions?

This also happens if the browser crashes and I have to restart it because of that. I've set Phoenix to automatically log in to the MozillaZine forums.

Stefan

User avatar
 
Posts: 2051
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 2:46 am

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 8:02 am

ksheka wrote:
nicubunu wrote:If the information is kept in cookies then is valid for one browser on one computer. If you use the forums from two places (two browsers on the same computer or two computers with the same browser) you got some cookies in one place and some on another.


Well, I guess the question is: Is information kept in cookies on the client computer (easier but not as flexible) or on the server associated with the user name (more complex to set up the site, but more flexible)?


It's cookies on the server.
Otherwise the read/unread would not persist if you visited from different comps (which it does).

It's not working 100% though :/

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:18 am
Location: London

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 10:02 am

nicubunu wrote:If the information is kept in cookies then is valid for one browser on one computer. If you use the forums from two places (two browsers on the same computer or two computers with the same browser) you got some cookies in one place and some on another.


I'm pretty certain they're stored on the server as I frequently read the forums on several different computers.
Alex

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 3:18 am
Location: London

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 10:06 am

djst wrote:One problem I'm seeing is that if you log in, you may have 50 or so unread messages. Then you accidentally close the browser and login again and all messages are marked as read. Why? Can't it remember which message I've read between the sessions?


I don't know. It's possible that phpBB only records the times you log in and out. Then when you log in it displays all the new messages since you last logged out (with a close or crash being counted as a log out). But that's just a guess. Don't quote me, I haven't looked into it at all.
Alex

BartVB

User avatar
 
Posts: 23
Joined: November 11th, 2002, 4:32 pm

Post Posted December 10th, 2002, 1:36 pm

phpBB checks your last session time (on the server) and it keeps track of individual forums in the cookies.
Because the capacity of cookies is very limited keeping track of read status is limited too. In phpBB 2.2 we're going to take a completely different approach that perfectly tracks what you've read and what not. Using it already on my own forum and I works pretty sweet (if I say so myself :D).

Anyway, because it's a combination of server/client at the moment you will have an approximately correct status when you switch computers but it's not perfect because it's partially client based and because the capacilty of cookies is limited.

Stefan

User avatar
 
Posts: 2051
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 2:46 am

Post Posted December 10th, 2002, 10:38 pm

BartVB wrote:phpBB checks your last session time (on the server) and it keeps track of individual forums in the cookies.
Because the capacity of cookies is very limited keeping track of read status is limited too. In phpBB 2.2 we're going to take a completely different approach that perfectly tracks what you've read and what not. Using it already on my own forum and I works pretty sweet (if I say so myself :D).

Anyway, because it's a combination of server/client at the moment you will have an approximately correct status when you switch computers but it's not perfect because it's partially client based and because the capacilty of cookies is limited.


Sounds like a greate improvment (even if it gets partially clientside) :)

ksheka

User avatar
 
Posts: 102
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 5:46 pm
Location: New York, NY, USA

Post Posted December 12th, 2002, 1:15 pm

BartVB wrote:phpBB checks your last session time (on the server) and it keeps track of individual forums in the cookies.
Because the capacity of cookies is very limited keeping track of read status is limited too. In phpBB 2.2 we're going to take a completely different approach that perfectly tracks what you've read and what not. Using it already on my own forum and I works pretty sweet (if I say so myself :D).


Any idea if Mozillazine is going to use the new version soon?
*grin*

Return to MozillaZine Site Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests