Not remembering which topics have not been read...

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
ksheka

Not remembering which topics have not been read...

Post by ksheka »

Is it just me, or has the forum index forgotten which topics have been read, and which have not? Right now it shows all messages have been read by me, even though that's not even close to being true. :-) This is on Mozilla Build 2002112108 and IE6 under WinXP (Just to make sure it's not a bad build. :-) )
tve

Post by tve »

same here... works perfect on Invision Board's BBS though :P

*wishs that MZ converts to very very server-friendly and ultrafast IBF*

:D
zipo13

Post by zipo13 »

Seem fine to me with
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021115
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

Works fine for me. If your cookies file is getting trashed, that could be the reason.

jason
ksheka

Re: Not remembering which topics have not been read...

Post by ksheka »

ksheka wrote:Is it just me, or has the forum index forgotten which topics have been read, and which have not? Right now it shows all messages have been read by me, even though that's not even close to being true. :-) This is on Mozilla Build 2002112108 and IE6 under WinXP (Just to make sure it's not a bad build. :-) )

Just as an update:

It seems that messages are getting read if they were not today. Anyone else seeing this?

It's not a cookie problem, I think, since I'm seeing the same behavior with IE 5.x and 6 and multiple builds of Mozilla on three different computers (Current using Build 2002120308).
nicubunu

Post by nicubunu »

If the information is kept in cookies then is valid for one browser on one computer. If you use the forums from two places (two browsers on the same computer or two computers with the same browser) you got some cookies in one place and some on another.
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>
ksheka

Post by ksheka »

nicubunu wrote:If the information is kept in cookies then is valid for one browser on one computer. If you use the forums from two places (two browsers on the same computer or two computers with the same browser) you got some cookies in one place and some on another.

Well, I guess the question is: Is information kept in cookies on the client computer (easier but not as flexible) or on the server associated with the user name (more complex to set up the site, but more flexible)?
nicubunu

Post by nicubunu »

kerz wrote:Works fine for me. If your cookies file is getting trashed, that could be the reason.

jason

Jason is admin , so if he says cookies, probably that is the situation. And you can check in the Cookie Manager.
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>
djst

Post by djst »

kerz wrote:Works fine for me. If your cookies file is getting trashed, that could be the reason.

jason

One problem I'm seeing is that if you log in, you may have 50 or so unread messages. Then you accidentally close the browser and login again and all messages are marked as read. Why? Can't it remember which message I've read between the sessions?

This also happens if the browser crashes and I have to restart it because of that. I've set Phoenix to automatically log in to the MozillaZine forums.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

ksheka wrote:
nicubunu wrote:If the information is kept in cookies then is valid for one browser on one computer. If you use the forums from two places (two browsers on the same computer or two computers with the same browser) you got some cookies in one place and some on another.

Well, I guess the question is: Is information kept in cookies on the client computer (easier but not as flexible) or on the server associated with the user name (more complex to set up the site, but more flexible)?

It's cookies on the server.
Otherwise the read/unread would not persist if you visited from different comps (which it does).

It's not working 100% though :/
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

I'm pretty certain they're stored on the server as I frequently read the forums on several different computers.
Alex
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

djst wrote:One problem I'm seeing is that if you log in, you may have 50 or so unread messages. Then you accidentally close the browser and login again and all messages are marked as read. Why? Can't it remember which message I've read between the sessions?

I don't know. It's possible that phpBB only records the times you log in and out. Then when you log in it displays all the new messages since you last logged out (with a close or crash being counted as a log out). But that's just a guess. Don't quote me, I haven't looked into it at all.
Alex
BartVB

Post by BartVB »

phpBB checks your last session time (on the server) and it keeps track of individual forums in the cookies.
Because the capacity of cookies is very limited keeping track of read status is limited too. In phpBB 2.2 we're going to take a completely different approach that perfectly tracks what you've read and what not. Using it already on my own forum and I works pretty sweet (if I say so myself :D).

Anyway, because it's a combination of server/client at the moment you will have an approximately correct status when you switch computers but it's not perfect because it's partially client based and because the capacilty of cookies is limited.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

BartVB wrote:phpBB checks your last session time (on the server) and it keeps track of individual forums in the cookies.
Because the capacity of cookies is very limited keeping track of read status is limited too. In phpBB 2.2 we're going to take a completely different approach that perfectly tracks what you've read and what not. Using it already on my own forum and I works pretty sweet (if I say so myself :D).

Anyway, because it's a combination of server/client at the moment you will have an approximately correct status when you switch computers but it's not perfect because it's partially client based and because the capacilty of cookies is limited.

Sounds like a greate improvment (even if it gets partially clientside) :)
ksheka

Post by ksheka »

BartVB wrote:phpBB checks your last session time (on the server) and it keeps track of individual forums in the cookies.

Any idea if Mozillazine is going to use the new version soon?
*grin*