Forums Upgraded - Post Issues Here (2.0.21)

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That happened after the forum issues with the Fx 2.0 release.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=478250 High Server Load Mode

It would be nice if there was a solution for the maximum size for the mzforum_t cookie (4096 bytes). Maybe delete the oldest site from that cookie if it is not possible to add another entry. Now you have to clear that cookie and that resets all visited flags.
flanagan

Post by flanagan »

kerz wrote:I still can't figure out the cause of this, more info very much welcome.

jason

Even at phpBB's own Community forum ( http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/search.php?s ... unanswered ), if you try to go beyond page 1 of "View unanswered posts" you encounter the "No topics" bug. Seems to me to be a problem inherent in phpBB itself.
Freee!!

Post by Freee!! »

Very well possible. You might want to look at some other forum software. One of the largest European forums ( http://gathering.tweakers.net ) uses React and if I am not mistaken, there is also a (limited capability) free version of it.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

Thanks, dickvl! Didn't know myEgo has been cut off as well.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

flanagan wrote:Even at phpBB's own Community forum, if you try to go beyond page 1 of "View unanswered posts" you encounter the "No topics" bug. Seems to me to be a problem inherent in phpBB itself.
Here's their bug report. Less than 1 month old. Status: New [Not reviewed]
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/viewreport.php?b=4820
Charlie.

Post by Charlie. »

I can't post a new topic under "Firefox Support". Every time I hit "submit" I get a "preview" instead. There are no messages or anything telling me why it won't actually create the post.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

I thought it was only me. That sometimes happens even a few times consecutively. If you keep hitting submit however stubbornly, you'll conquer the machine. :mrgreen:
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

If you post too quickly, the spambot blocker will catch you. Slow and steady wins the race.
Charlie.

Post by Charlie. »

Uh - it was my first post in months.

Don't you think a message saying that the spambot was blocking you "for another n minutes" would be useful?
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

It calculates the amount of time you've had the page loaded prior to the comment submission. I think it's looking for 10 seconds.

jason
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Charlie. wrote:I can't post a new topic under "Firefox Support". Every time I hit "submit" I get a "preview" instead. There are no messages or anything telling me why it won't actually create the post.

You will get this if you have Javascript off. Either turn it on or quote the post above, edit out the post, put your stuff and submit.

Works for me.

It's the old 'When you point a finger at someone, there are three pointing back at you' type stuff. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Charlie.

Post by Charlie. »

I don't have Javascript turned off.

What's all this about fingers and stuff? That made no sense.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

The next time you get the preview, sit back for a few seconds. Then try to post again. If it fails that time, copy your message from the post box and go back a couple of pages (to the page before you got the first preview). Hit CTRL+F5 and wait for the page to reload. Paste your message into the post box (clear it first if neccessary) and then try posting it again. It's been my workaround for a the last couple of months.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

I cannot seem to be able to change my avatar uploading from my box. Instead I'm presented with
Unable to upload file

DEBUG MODE

Line : 269
File : usercp_avatar.php

Pointing to a file online seems to work fine...
phkhgh

Post by phkhgh »

JRSellers wrote:I'd suggest either fixing the EMail Notification Of Replies feature, or just switch over to vBulletin.

I'm assuming the email notification of replies to posts is no longer working, at least for now? Cause I'm not getting any notices.

And more categories is always good. Just don't get too specific w/ the labels, like some forums. You have to read down a list 3 pages long to try & decide which category fits best.