Updating the read-status not working!?

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
johann_p

Updating the read-status not working!?

Post by johann_p »

It seems the icons are not reflecting the read status of a forum correctly, not after
actually reading the forum messages and not after using the function "mark all forums read".
Only logging out and a relogin will change the status.
shoestring

Re: Updating the read-status not working!?

Post by shoestring »

Johann_P wrote:It seems the icons are not reflecting the read status of a forum correctly, not after
actually reading the forum messages and not after using the function "mark all forums read".
Only logging out and a relogin will change the status.

Worse yet, I just noticed that a bunch of topics (nearly all of them in fact) with <I>new</I> messages in them are not flagged as such ... I was amazed by the lack of new postings, and then I saw that there were plenty of them and it was the flags that were wrong.

Otherwise (barring other problems I haven't seen yet), the forums are really good!
asa

Post by asa »

worksforme. I notice that if I crash reading the forums that it wipes out cookies gathered during that sesson and the new forums reset your cookies everytime you visit. You might have spotted a cookie bug or you're rejecting cookies in some way which is affecting the read/unread status.

--Asa
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

asa wrote:worksforme. I notice that if I crash reading the forums that it wipes out cookies gathered during that sesson and the new forums reset your cookies everytime you visit. You might have spotted a cookie bug or you're rejecting cookies in some way which is affecting the read/unread status.

--Asa

Ah. This would not surprise me, as things are crashing here all the time ;-) ... so that could easily explain the problem. I'll just have to learn not to rely on the read/unread icons ...
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

shoestring wrote:Ah. This would not surprise me, as things are crashing here all the time ;-) ... so that could easily explain the problem. I'll just have to learn not to rely on the read/unread icons ...

Hrrmf.

<I>Something</I> seems to be setting <I>nearly</I> (but perhaps not quite) everything to "read" status every time I come in here from a fresh browser (Phoenix) start. I've been doing this a lot ove the past hour or so, trying to get some tweaks to work ...

:(
leoz

Post by leoz »

shoestring wrote:
shoestring wrote:Ah. This would not surprise me, as things are crashing here all the time ;-) ... so that could easily explain the problem. I'll just have to learn not to rely on the read/unread icons ...

Hrrmf.

<I>Something</I> seems to be setting <I>nearly</I> (but perhaps not quite) everything to "read" status every time I come in here from a fresh browser (Phoenix) start. I've been doing this a lot ove the past hour or so, trying to get some tweaks to work ...

:(

I also have this problem - that's what made me post the other post in this forum. I hadn't
realized that it was due to me starting a new browser, but I did start a new browser. Could it
be that the problem is that the cookies that phpbb is using are session only?

I checked and found a cookie called
phpbb2mysql_t
from mozillazine, which seems like it could be the culprit - and it does expire at end of session.
Is this a customizable thing? It certainly seems as if the forum status should not expire at
end of session.

Thanks!
johann_p

Sorry for the spam

Post by johann_p »

somehow mozillazine.org got into my list of hosts for which to reject cookies ... I dont know how this could happen :oops: