exclamation point[s] on every sentence = gak!

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

exclamation point[s] on every sentence = gak!

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

am i the only one who boggles when confronted with posts that use an exclamation point [or two or three or more] on every danged sentence? i just stumbled across the 2nd poster this week and i'm still wincing from the implied three year old squeal.

Url auto-complete bug
Javascript Code Not Working (Latest versio of Firefox)
downloads hang when downloading >500 MB files

ok, i feel better now that i have had this little rant. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Grammar Freak

Re: exclamation point[s] on every sentence = gak!

Post by Grammar Freak »

Not at all; to that, I add such things as "I have problem?", which indicates that the poster does not even know if he/she/it has a problem, over-use of all-caps and bold, and the truly silly use of such things as ".... please help me!" in a forum devoted to helping people, and one that really irritates me, "Urgent", indicating that the poster is more important than other users.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Grammar Freak wrote:Not at all; to that, I add such things as "I have problem?", which indicates that the poster does not even know if he/she/it has a problem, over-use of all-caps and bold, and the truly silly use of such things as ".... please help me!" in a forum devoted to helping people, and one that really irritates me, "Urgent", indicating that the poster is more important than other users.

[*grin*]
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Lee_Dailey wrote:am i the only one who boggles when confronted with posts that use an exclamation point [or two or three or more] on every danged sentence?

Says the guy who starts every post with 'howdy', types everything in lower case, adds a good smattering of [*grin*] to every post and always ends each post with 'take care, lee'.

:-k Makes the odd excess ! look pretty tame, I think.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Frank Lion wrote:
Lee_Dailey wrote:am i the only one who boggles when confronted with posts that use an exclamation point [or two or three or more] on every danged sentence?

Says the guy who starts every post with 'howdy', types everything in lower case, adds a good smattering of [*grin*] to every post and always ends each post with 'take care, lee'.

:-k Makes the odd excess ! look pretty tame, I think.

howdy Frank Lion,

yes, i do have a _few_ observed peculiarities. [*grin*] i did admit that it might be a case of pot-kettle in one of my posts to moltres_rider. plus, i occasionally end a post with "hope that helps".

i know i'm not the most appropriate critic of other folks writing. that has never stopped me from being blatantly opinionated, or from expressing said opinions.

i used to hang out at one of the delphi forums [the commport] many, many moons ago. the one time i met one of the denizens of that group in real life he was flabbergasted that i really talk like this. "howdy", "g'day", "take care" and alla that stuff. i don't talk in lower case, tho ...

take care,
lee
Case Manager

Post by Case Manager »

Someone should get on Lee's [lower] case.

I wore out quite a few red pens correcting student papers, including grammar istakes, repetitiveness, and, of course, the use of "Texican."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Lee_Dailey wrote:... the one time i met one of the denizens of that group in real life he was flabbergasted that i really talk like this

Yes, I bet his flabbers have never been so gasted. Good job you haven't got a stutter as well.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Case Manager wrote:Someone should get on Lee's [lower] case.

I wore out quite a few red pens correcting student papers, including grammar istakes, repetitiveness, and, of course, the use of "Texican."

howdy Case Manager,

i use lower case cuz i'm so danged lazy. the _huge_ extra effort to use proper sentence case is simply more than i can manage. [*grin*]

down here in texas the use of texican is for hispanic loan words. or, to be more honest when speaking of english and its variants, words heisted from other languages - spanish in this case.

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Frank Lion wrote:
Lee_Dailey wrote:... the one time i met one of the denizens of that group in real life he was flabbergasted that i really talk like this

Yes, I bet his flabbers have never been so gasted. Good job you haven't got a stutter as well.

[*grin*]
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Guys, guys, be thankful you haven't encountered BeeFree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yet.
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/beefree/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/5070542/
BeeFree!!!!!! wrote:Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, yeah, i always download Certificate Patrol without waiting for the review process at AMO!!!!!!! The review process here, is very too slow and also very useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I quickly look at the source code of addons i use, so i don't have to wait for their reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the page to download all the versions, including old versions and versions pending for approval, of CP: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sions/6415

CP 1.3.1 has a bug!!! And i can't use it, because it doesn't work!!!!!!!!!!
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getBoolPref]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://certpatrol/content/CertPatrol.js :: anonymous :: line 424" data: no]

I think that you forgot to add the default preferences in defaults/preferences/CertPatrol.js !!!!!
Well, I reverted to CP 1.2.4!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it works!!!!!!!!!!!

~bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Philip Chee wrote:Guys, guys, be thankful you haven't encountered BeeFree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yet.
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/beefree/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/5070542/
BeeFree!!!!!! wrote:Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, yeah, i always download Certificate Patrol without waiting for the review process at AMO!!!!!!! The review process here, is very too slow and also very useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I quickly look at the source code of addons i use, so i don't have to wait for their reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the page to download all the versions, including old versions and versions pending for approval, of CP: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sions/6415

CP 1.3.1 has a bug!!! And i can't use it, because it doesn't work!!!!!!!!!!
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.getBoolPref]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://certpatrol/content/CertPatrol.js :: anonymous :: line 424" data: no]

I think that you forgot to add the default preferences in defaults/preferences/CertPatrol.js !!!!!
Well, I reverted to CP 1.2.4!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it works!!!!!!!!!!!

~bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

howdy Phil,

oh. my. god. i _have_ seen that abuser of innocent exclamation points. my memory gave me grace and lost track of the abomination. i'm uncertain if you deserve a thanks or a nastygram for resurrecting that memory ... [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Philip Chee wrote:Also how do you talk in lower case anyway?

Phil

howdy Phil,

i aint figured that one out, and pro'ly won't. [*grin*] if i ever find a _really_ easy to use case correction doohickey i will likely think about using it. dunno if i will _actually_ use it, tho.

take care,
lee
Silliness Exemplified

Post by Silliness Exemplified »

Lee, just for you, !?!?!?!?

Another of the idiotic absurdities that I see entirely too often on-line, one that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever under any conditions whatsoever at any time whatsoever anywhere.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Silliness Exemplified wrote:Lee, just for you, !?!?!?!?

Another of the idiotic absurdities that I see entirely too often on-line, one that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever under any conditions whatsoever at any time whatsoever anywhere.

ttthhhpppttt! [*grin*]