MozillaZine

Logged in or not? Notice to questioners?

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Odin2
 
Posts: 153
Joined: March 10th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Post Posted May 3rd, 2012, 4:16 pm

I've been using this very helpful site for years, but now I find it really hard to see whether I'm logged in or not and, if not, where to log in. Is there a log-in page I should bring up first?

Also, it seems that even when I am logged in I no longer receive a notice and link when my question has been answered. Is this a new policy?

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 41971
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Aus

Post Posted May 3rd, 2012, 4:47 pm

Nothing has really changed in a number of years. Occasional forum gremlins are still at work but to my way of thinking you may just need to clear the site cookies and perhaps your cache
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Odin2
 
Posts: 153
Joined: March 10th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Post Posted May 3rd, 2012, 5:11 pm

Thanks, malliz. I've cleared cache and cookies. Hope that will fix things.

makaiguy

User avatar
 
Posts: 15701
Joined: November 18th, 2002, 6:44 pm
Location: Somewhere in SE USA

Post Posted May 3rd, 2012, 5:20 pm

In the top of that column over there --> you'll see either of two links. If you're logged in, it says "Logout [your user name]". If you're not logged in, it says "Login".
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win7 Home Prem (64bit): FF 39.0, TB 38.1.0 ║ Android 4.2.2/4.4.2: FF 9.0, no Android TB available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Odin2
 
Posts: 153
Joined: March 10th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Post Posted May 4th, 2012, 10:43 am

Makaiguy (and anyone else), what you say is consistent with my recollection of what I used to see -- but it's not there now. Where could it have gone?

Also...

I recall a search option for finding my own posts. I can't find it now.

Franadora

User avatar
 
Posts: 1563
Joined: July 18th, 2004, 8:52 pm
Location: Wi

Post Posted May 4th, 2012, 11:06 am

Check your screen resolution (slider?) or are you using an aggressive Stylish modification to Mozillazine?

The column where you write and read comments should be only about 80% of the window; the remaining 20% would be an additional column with links to "Logout ', # New Messages, User Control Panel, View Your Posts. Under this is another box with links to Search: Board(Advanced) and Knowledge Base.

Below that is a box with other options, but I've never gone there...

With my screen resolution, all of these appear directly under the Mozilla blimp.
Wenn es nicht spassig ist, ist es nicht richtig gemacht.
--Windows7 Starter, Home Premium & Pro; Android Jelly Beans 4.1.1; WindowsXP (disappearing)

Odin2
 
Posts: 153
Joined: March 10th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Post Posted May 4th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Thanks, Franadora.

The elements you describe are all completely missing. There is no horizontal scroll bar visible on the screen. I've never changed my screen resolution or noticed any change (except on this site as I reported). My resolution is at the Windows maximum of 1024X768. I installed Stylish at one time but don't even know how to do the modification you speak of. I uninstalled Stylish some time ago, well before I became aware of this issue. I do use the RIP extension but have confirmed that it has not made any changes to Mozillazine pages.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 107736
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the East Coast

Post Posted May 4th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

Odin2
 
Posts: 153
Joined: March 10th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Post Posted May 4th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Solved (I hope!!).

For the heck of it, I instructed Adblock Plus to disable all blocks on this site. Sure enough, the phantom elements became viewable. I have no idea how this block came about, but I sincerely thank all of you for your input.

Gingerbread Man

User avatar
 
Posts: 7412
Joined: January 30th, 2007, 10:55 am

Post Posted May 8th, 2012, 6:27 am

Odin2 wrote:I have no idea how this block came about

Press Ctrl+Shift+V to see what's blocked on the current page. If the fault is with a filter subscription, file a report as described on the following page.
:arrow: What if Adblock Plus blocks too much?

If you have Adblock Plus, then I don't see why you also have Remove It Permanently. If you're having trouble composing hiding filters, try Element Hiding Helper.

Return to MozillaZine Site Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests