IP Ban

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
LoudNoise

Re: IP Ban

Post by LoudNoise »

VanillaMozilla wrote:LoudNoise, did you read what tsunami just wrote?

Yep. The same thing has happened to me at work. When I get home and log in the problem goes away at both places. I have briefly taken control the accounts (with permission) of folks who George has a real screw lose about and solved the problem by logging in from my IP. While I don't maintain that I understand George (but I would like to point out that I find him a fine example of his group and a really charming fellow (really and truly George)) it seems to work.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

"Crawler".
It won't help you, you know.

He's probably having dinner, gathering his strength for next round.
ImageImage
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

I got ask is "george" a person or some AI like program controlling the forums?? lmao

I had this issue with these forums for YEARS. I just rarely come here unless Mozilla mucked somthing up in FF i can find info about my self
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

George is our resident Gremlin. Not a person, not an AI.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
tsunami231

Post by tsunami231 »

So george dont exisist, cause that pretty much makes no sense. If i not person not ai or some forums script running etc.

Either had this issue with these for forums for years and reloading/refreshing browser fixes it Most time this happens when i not logged in and i only log in to post. never seen it happen when loged it but then i dont start logged in on these forums
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I take it humour and jokes are not your strength?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

There have been George sitings.
It is assumed this is him, description from Zman - George c. Gremlin
However the theory is Kerz established the 'zine with original servers powered by a 1973 Gremlin and though there have been upgrades, a symbiotic relationship seems to continue.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I like "The zman's" version better than the other, more dangerous one, eL Grumpo.
More in standing with what he does.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

If the forum is actually run by a stoned elf, that would explain quite a lot. Including Kerz's avatar.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mart44

Post by mart44 »

I think George ought to change his name to Dan. He could then be nicknamed, 'Dan the ban'. Hmm.. on second thoughts, that might make him really angry.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Err, considering that George bans folks arbitrarily you might be on danger money now....
Post wrangler
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Just got a ban message! :roll: :wink: :D
HAPPY NEW YEAR George! :lol:
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

It would seem that "George" likes to roam about on other forum hosts too. I signed up for a distro forum once, and was totally IP banned upon creating the 1st account. Admins where nice enough to resolve this.
Seems all forums seem to have a naughty backbone to them, somebody must have forgotten to feed George ;)
Browsers: Firefox ESR , Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Chromium (testing purposes).
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

George rejects any attempt to feed him. He prefers dinners on the hoof. You might want to consider a proxy.....
Post wrangler
DVB

Post by DVB »

Apparently George is still grumpy. I was just banned. Fortunately the "anything" workaround worked. Thanks for putting that up front.