IP Ban

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
LoudNoise

IP Ban

Post by LoudNoise »

If you have gotten here your IP has not been banned. You are a victim of our local forum gremlin. His name is George.

Say hi to George....

Anyway, just ignore it.

If he is being unusually grumpy put the word anything in the Search Boards text box and click on GO. Click on any result and then click on Board Index. The problem should go away.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
darkrats

Re: IP Ban

Post by darkrats »

I got the ban notice today! Didn't know about George.
Clicked the Main Index link a couple of times and got to the board.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Hmm I just got the ban by IP message (I just cleared all my cache, cookies, etc.) Anyway, I just clicked the login link on the side and logged in fine. First time I've ever seen it LOL.
willarson

Post by willarson »

got the same thing. immediately tried it again and, well, here I be. shame on you George. if that is all you do, then I'd be disappointed if you didn't if you didn't show up again in the future. cheers runt.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

George decided to notice me yesterday (and I was logged in). Clicked on "My Posts" and he decided to forgive my sins.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
PatMob

Post by PatMob »

oh so George is the reason. I got my IP banned and after a few days i got in here.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

George must be having a bad day: Not overly unusual for me to see the "Go away, you've been banned" message, but a few minutes ago things were a bit different. This is the first time that I had to log on to get around the ban; usually, a single click on 'Board Index," or whatever the ban message shows, will bypass George, but several clicks a short while ago did not placate him. I was able to log on, and after logging off, was able to see the forums without having to log on again.

Would someone please pet George, give him a "Meanie Treat," have his soothsayer placate him, or perhaps just make him a moderator?
krzysiektbg

Post by krzysiektbg »

I got IP ban too
Dave Kimble

Post by Dave Kimble »

I got the ban when using a VPN server, and not when I'm using my own IP. Understandable, I suppose, but does anyone here tell the VPN server ops, so they can track down the real culprit, or does everybody using that server have to suffer till December 30?

The clear cookies and "anything" workaround didn't work for me - and surely if it can be so easily worked around, how does it protect you from the banned ones?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Because if the IP number is actually banned (i.e., the IP is listed on the forum's banned IP list), you cannot get around it.

As far as we can tell, George has a problem with specific computers rather then the actual IPs. The last time I got the ban message I left it up on the computer at work that I was using and went to another computer. I was able to log on from the second computer (same IP) without a problem. Odd enough, I could then log on the site from the first computer without a problem.

Can you PM me the ISPN for the VPN? In the old days (200x) entire IP blocks were banned on occassion. This was a dumb idea but some of these bans might still exist.
Post wrangler
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

MarkRH wrote:Hmm I just got the ban by IP message (I just cleared all my cache, cookies, etc.) Anyway, I just clicked the login link on the side and logged in fine. First time I've ever seen it LOL.

Yep.

Login fails about half the time. My Firefox always starts with cleared cookies and cache, so the login error message is not only useless, but incorrect. Just tell people to try again with the login button on the upper right. I've never seen that fail.
Ideation_at_M

Post by Ideation_at_M »

In case it might be useful for troubleshooting I have two screenshots of the "You have been banned from this board until December 30th, 2013, 7:00 am." page/notice. I can't really remember activity before the notices that might have been a trigger.

First time I did clear the cache and no problem after; second time I tried just closing the window and returned and no problem.

So it seems there's something glitchy and it might be a problem for a new person to the Net, if they sort of panic.

I am active on a lot of forums and run a couple and this is the only one that I recall I've had this "You are banned." problem. At least, I don't have a recent memory of the problem. Lets see, forum platforms I have or am active on are ASP, phpBB, and some corporate proprietary coded types, so it is a broad range of platforms.

Anyway, just in case the information might be useful, there it is.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Apparently it has something to do with load balancer at OSU. This is way you can often get in simply by clicking on search or board index. Folks are trying to get to the bottom of it.
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It's been going on for at least 3 years now, as far as I can recall. There's also a weird bug where sometimes it forces you to type in the Captcha 3 times after correctly entering your login and password. I've learned to just not even try on the first two Captchas because the 3rd always works.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Yeah, I just got it again after clearing all my history, cache, and cookies after upgrading to FF25. All I did was click the Login link and back in business.