IP Ban

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
kj2o3j29048

Re: IP Ban

Post by kj2o3j29048 »

That's funny OP. Got it twice, last two times I've visited. Seems clearing cookie/cache works without the "anything" search term.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Clearing the cache and cookies didn't work for me. I suspect a different gremlin actually put the ban in place for my home IP address., Sitting at the local library now.

Will a moderator please look into lifting the ban?

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Yes, cache and cookies have nothing to do with it as far as I can tell. No special procedure or search procedure is needed either. You just try again and it works. The directions ought omit the black magic procedure and just say to try again.
trolly

Post by trolly »

At my company i got a similar problem. A connection could get shared between multiple proxies when one one knew the connection was allowed. This was solved by constraining a connection to one proxy. Maybe the problem is something similar.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
trolly

Post by trolly »

the-edmeister wrote:Clearing the cache and cookies didn't work for me. I suspect a different gremlin actually put the ban in place for my home IP address., Sitting at the local library now.

Will a moderator please look into lifting the ban?

Ed

Should be done.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It happens to me regularly at home, where I have no proxy and a static IP address.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I meant the load balancer could have split a connection. One knows you are logged in, the second does not.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You mean one thinks I'm banned? Or maybe they forgot to ban me on the other one. :)
trolly

Post by trolly »

Something like that ...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Got it, thanks. I think I was locked out by someone I pissed off over at SUMO. The ban here appears to have happened (per the time of the ban expiration) 1 minute before I received a angry PM from him in the SUMO forum, along with having a thread I started over there disappear. I don't think it was a coincidence - my "gremlin" has a name.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

That which happens at SUMO stays at SUMO please.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Yes, cache and cookies have nothing to do with it as far as I can tell. No special procedure or search procedure is needed either. You just try again and it works. The directions ought omit the black magic procedure and just say to try again.

The suggestions works for most people. You might need to talk to George.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It works, but so does spinning around three times in your chair. So does doing nothing. Do you have any reliable reports that any of the voodoo is actually necessary?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Personal experience.
Post wrangler
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Cache and cookies cannot be the whole story, because a second try always works for me without clearing either. I'm not convinced it's even part of the story. You can verify it with my account if you want.