Archived Moderation Requests (Vol 53)

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
James

Re: Moderation / Spam / Login Activation Requests

Post by James »

trolly wrote:Well, I assume that they use the account only for one sweep.

Usually yes.

Good thing I went through list anyways as there was a spammer creating multiple accounts under mainly two different variants of user names with several more still waiting in inactive list.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

If I remember correctly from my playing around deactivating the account wouldn't keep them from coming back -- if it is a human they can simply ask for a reactivation email. May be wrong since it has been a few years.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

viewtopic.php?p=12482303#p12482303
Can this be stopped please? Next thing he will be recommending formatting the HD
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Commented and watching. I am trying to figure out who gottabesomebodyelse is....
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

James split it moved it to locked. I hate it when that happens... :)
Post wrangler
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Inarticulate and Idiotic sort of narrows the field down to eight or nine million facebook users :D
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

LoudNoise wrote:Commented and watching. I am trying to figure out who gottabesomebodyelse is....

One of these may help in your search...
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

According to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2617559 posts made by new users who just registered have to be approved now (it's definitely much more quite here in the spam thread now 8-) ).

Can someone amend the sticky at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2616449 with that information so that affected users aren't surprised that they don't see they post right away, assuming this policy will stay for a while?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

That policy has been around for around for at least three months maybe more
"Terry Pratchett"
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Interesting, so guest posts were displayed immediately whereas new regular users had to wait for moderator approval?

Anyway, if it's not an issue and that isolated post the exception of the rule, never mind...
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Guess those spammers heard me :doubt:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2618009
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It's pretty standard policy on many boards (and blog comments) that first-time posts/users must be reviewed before being shown. Without a review process there would be no difference between guests and registered users, and spammers would be free to create 500 accounts and post the same garbage in each one. As it is, we still get "trojan" users who create fake questions to try to appear legitimate before unleashing their spammy attack.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Ok, thanks for the explanation.
James

Post by James »

rsx11m wrote:According to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2617559 posts made by new users who just registered have to be approved now (it's definitely much more quite here in the spam thread now 8-) ).

Can someone amend the sticky at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2616449 with that information so that affected users aren't surprised that they don't see they post right away, assuming this policy will stay for a while?

malliz wrote:That policy has been around for around for at least three months maybe more

This has existed since March 29, 2011 and not about to be discontinued.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

rsx11m wrote:Can someone amend the sticky at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2616449 with that information so that affected users aren't surprised that they don't see they post right away, assuming this policy will stay for a while?

Apparently LoudNoise has done so despite that not being news any more, looks good! :roll: