Moderation / Spam / Login Activation Requests

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Moderation / Spam / Login Activation Requests

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yep. Still using a trinitron clone here for graphics and photo retouching work. I have yet to see an affordable flat screen with anything that resembles good color and even then if you tilt your head everything changes. And I realize many people in the graphics world have switched over, and pick up any print media and you can tell because QA on color has gone completely down hill in the last few years and nobody seems to give a squat. Even the very nice late model Panasonic tube television I have I had to reduce color saturation down to about 20% for it match my CRT (via a color test swatch) and the really real world.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Likely off topic here folks.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
kukla

Post by kukla »

This topic I started was in Builds (for at least a day and a half), then was suddenly moved to General. Curious to know why, since there are other CSS/themes topics in Builds--I thought it was the appropriate location. After some searching, I eventually found it again, but would have been "useful" (aka "nice") for me, as well as for those who had already replied, if the mod who did this left a link with its new location, since it seemed to disappear without a trace.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You could click on "View your posts" on the upper right.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
kukla

Post by kukla »

LoudNoise wrote:You could click on "View your posts" on the upper right.

What I did eventually, but doesn't answer my question about why it was moved, nor about why a link wasn't left to the new location--the usual policy, so maybe explained as a simple oversight by the mod involved.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I didn't move it but probably would have if I found it in Builds because version 40 was available as the release version, not a beta/pre-release version. As to why a link was not left, that's a check box the mod has to click when moving the topic and it's easy to forget or click quickly not activate as intended. It's something that happens occasionally but as rule most moves of that sort are done with a "Shadow Topic" in the original forum.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

A guess but It is likely moved because you started a thread about a released version in a section devoted to the pre-release versions. Leaving a moved link isn't policy per se, it is something most mods do when we move a post from a newbe who likely does not know about "View your Posts".
Post wrangler
kukla

Post by kukla »

OK, may have been misled into thinking I was in the right place because I saw several topics re. FF 40 (one of them directly related to CSS in 40), which I'm now seeing were first posted on 8/10, just one day before the official release on 8/11. Maybe the reason they stayed put.

Btw, not sure if it's just me, but initial posts, not edits, are getting posted successfully after a few seconds, but without any notification of success, and with the progress indicator still churning forever. Can easily lead to making unnecessary duplicates.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Our admin has a trouble ticket in place about the issue with the OSL at OSU. The Open Source Lab is lightly staffed during the summer months. Since classes have, or will shortly, restarted the problem should be fixed within a week or two.

We don't move posts about what was a pre-release version from builds once it is released since it would not make much sense. A lot of the discussion about the pre-released versions deal with problems that might very well no longer exists and the suggested work arounds and fixes are likely very preliminary in nature. Newbes are not likely to post in the Builds forum and we assume that folks with a substantial number of posts have at least a basic understanding of how the forums are organized.
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Move to Firefox Support?
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2954369
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

viewtopic.php?p=14281895#p14281895
hugely wide images breaking forum layout
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

^Fixed
Post wrangler
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2954423
Can this be locked please? I am getting way to old to revisit the Google Toolbar fiasco with yet another deluded slob
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Padlock on.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Thank you :)
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"