Archived Moderation Requests (Vol 56)

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
kgbme

Re: Moderation / Spam / Login Activation Requests

Post by kgbme »

Hi PPLZ!..;) :)

Regarding teh topic, "Change Default Search and how to use the New Search Bar." @

Code: Select all

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2895275

& it being locked; can't see a discussion link 4 it, other than:

Btw, complaints about this should not be directed here. Use Help->Submit Feedback to submit your feelings to Mozilla.

.. Which wouldn't be a *suitable* place to comment, on finding this solution @ Mozilla Add-ons Blog, in the comment section, posted by Fleming wrote on December 16, 2014 at 12:45 am

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/search-bar-add-change-manage-search-engines-firefox

about:config -> browser.search.showOneOffButtons -> double click to set to false -> restart browser

If Mozilla is going to continue to change aspects of the user interface that are clearly in contrast of what Firefox’s target user base typically has and SHOULD be, power users, two things should ALWAYS be adhered to:

1. Ensure a relatively easy way of reverting the changes to how things were prior to the “improvement” without requiring something as drastic as an extension being programmed just to get back lost functionality. Seriously, MOST changes should be able to be reverted with the standard options dialog or about:config. Open source software is about freedom of choice not the shill bullshit Mozilla has been pulling as of lately.

2. Explicitly disclose the setting(s)/method(s) for reverting ALL changes so that people can have it their way without having to jump through hoops on Google and reading through endless posts. Even though power users should be the focus, we (open source community) don’t want to discourage less technically inclined users into switching to a browser with a Fisher-Price interface and customization options like Chrome.

.. tnx! =)
pls disregard my (previous) disillusioned ff => 4.x posts, tnx. I've embraced it; apologies.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

What's to discuss? We aren't Mozilla, we didn't change the searchbar, and the solution you posted is *exactly* the same as the one posted in the sticky. There are also half a dozen active threads already "discussing" (read bitching about) this change. Am I missing something?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

If you want to comment on the post, there is a link at the bottom of the first post where the conversation thread can be located. If you want to complain about it, then it the feedback method is as good as any other. There isn't much of a point to do it here.

I seem to be missing something too. We do you suggest that we direct people to complain to/at?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

kgbme wrote:Hi PPLZ!..;) :)

Regarding teh topic, "Change Default Search and how to use the New Search Bar." @

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2895275

& it being locked; can't see a discussion link 4 it, other than:

Other than this ? -

The conversation thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2890187

Next time, base what you write on what is written and not on what you presume not to have been written.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
kgbme

Post by kgbme »

Right, right.. Plus I'm blind - the date on the post and date on the comment, sheesh (that comment came waay after). Tnx for the replies, maybe what I needed was - going to bed, rather than making a post, pfft. =)
pls disregard my (previous) disillusioned ff => 4.x posts, tnx. I've embraced it; apologies.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

No problem :)
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Bumped thread... heck it doesn't even appear to be on topic:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2734967
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Commented and locked. Thanks, Patrick.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2898473
Another attempt by Antic to come across as clever...... yet again he failed :-" No doubt I will soon have enough browie points for a hate thread of my own...... somewhere
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

malliz wrote:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2898473
Another attempt by Antic to come across as clever...... yet again he failed :-" No doubt I will soon have enough browie points for a hate thread of my own...... somewhere

Heh...
amrad

Post by amrad »

Large images breaking forum layout:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2898473

Regards,

Dave.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

It wasn't breaking it by that much Dave, but fixed anyway.
Ta.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

KWierso wrote:Heh...

Firefox seems to make it very hard for the average person to update Flash.

Why do sub average people always assume that they're average? Who are they comparing themselves with, gorillas or something?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Who are they comparing themselves with, gorillas or something?

Perhaps amoebas?
trolly

Post by trolly »

That would be an insult to the amoebas.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.