Keep Having new accounts go down

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Breviceps

Keep Having new accounts go down

Post by Breviceps »

To Whom It Concerns: do not know what happened to my post done earlier today in this forum so I'm re-posting. My original account [user name of Cheirtor1, not sure what e-mail address I used] went down sometime within the last few weeks.
You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below.
So I register another new account, get e-mail to activate it and comply getting notice the account is now active. However, when I try to log into it, I get the same message:
You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below.
Unknown as to why.

So I register another new account using a different e-mail address, get another e-mail to activate it and comply getting notice the account is now active. However, when I try to log into this new account, I get the same message:
. Yet again, I register another new account using a different e-mail address, get another e-mail to activate it and comply getting notice the account is now active. This time I log in to the account successfully Yesterday at appoximately 11:10 am and the account remains O.K. until today sometime after I posted in another forum at 6:45 am. Then I get the infamous statement You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below. Once again, I register another new account using a different e-mail address, get another e-mail to activate it and comply getting notice the account is now active. But [of course] when I attempt to log into it, I once again get the infamous statement You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below.

Please help me get this issue resolved as I'm running out of e-mail addresses to use to register new accounts and cannot figure out what the problem is.
Also, is there any way you can reinstate my original Cheirtor1 account? Finally can you advise as to why all of the new forum accounts registered within approximately the last 1 1/2 day have all been trashed [for lack of a better word]? Almost forgot, is there any way a Moderator and/or Administrator can PM me with advice in this matter?
LoudNoise

Re: Keep Having new accounts go down

Post by LoudNoise »

Since you don't have an account to PM to no. That said, it should be fixed now. However, I had to change the password so don't try to get in that account yet.

The Cheirtor1 account has an aol email account. Can you still access that email account?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

LoudNoise: thanks so much for the quick response and YES I can still access the AOL email account. Do I need to provide it to you right now? If so, I believe it is Bintaur1 - at - aol.com. Hope providing this info doesn't cause any Gremlin activity.
Breviceps

Post by Breviceps »

LoudNoise: Thanks and if possible, I would appreciate your blocking the actual e-mail address from showing in the forum.
Breviceps

Post by Breviceps »

LoudNoise states:
...It should be fixed now. However, I had to change the password so don't try to get in that account yet...
Please advise when I can get into the account. Also forgot to ask how I can change the password you assigned if I choose to? I think it has something to do with the User Control panel:Profile -> Edit Account Settings but am not sure as to where it's located. If not the correct location to change my forum password, please let me know where/how to do it. Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Sent an email to your aol account. To change the password, which you should. You will find the user control panel in the upper right hand corner. Profile -> Edit Account Settings
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Breviceps

Post by Breviceps »

LoudNoise: got the e-mail and using the info given, attempted to log in and get the infamous statement:

What gives? Apparently our Gremlin beat me to signing in and then changing the password. Can you do anything to help me? Apparently, the Gremlin is monitoring things very closely and at the rate things are going, seems I'll never get to have an active account again.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Breviceps wrote:
What gives?

Clear cache and cookies before trying again.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Breviceps

Post by Breviceps »

Frank Lion states:
Clear cache and cookies before trying again

I use Custom Privacy Settings which clears cookies when I exit from Firefox. Does it also clear the cache? If not, how do I clear the cache?
Breviceps

Post by Breviceps »

Frank Lion: As previously stated, I use Custom Privacy Settings when exiting Firefox and note that I have Cache checked to be automatically cleared as well. So I cleared the History, shut Firefox down, re-booted and tried to sign in only to get the infamous statement: You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below. So once again, I'm at Square 1 and need help in restoring my Username and a Password so I can log in and then change the password.

Post by Guest »

Make certain that you don't have any mozillazine cookies. If I am not mistaken, if you accepted one before you selected "Clear at close" it would still be around and used.

Also, that account is from 2006. It worked for me but it might also just be broken.

-LN (at work)
Breviceps

Post by Breviceps »

-LN: made sure no mozillazine cookies were in evidence before I selected Clear at close. And yes the account is from 2006 but I changed the Username to Cheirtor1 in May of 2014 leaving the password the same and had no problem logging in until sometime within the last few weeks. I don't understand how it worked for you but might also just be broken. I take it you're a moderator on the board or you wouldn't have been able to test the login.

Again, I need to get this issue resolved and have an active account so I can log into the board to perform certain functions that can only be done when logged in. Hope a moderator will be able to assist me to accomplish this.
Breviceps

Post by Breviceps »

-LN: states:
Also, that account is from 2006. It worked for me but it might also just be broken.

If something is broken in Firefox, would it cause the Login issue being experienced? If so, would uninstalling Firefox and performing a Clean Install be beneficial? I already know what files/profiles to back up, etc. Thanks!
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Ok, try again with the same password I sent you before. If that does not work let me know and we will try something else.
Post wrangler
Breviceps

Post by Breviceps »

-LN states:

Breviceps asked -LN:
If something is broken in Firefox, would it cause the Login issue being experienced? If so, would uninstalling Firefox and performing a Clean Install be beneficial? I already know what files/profiles to back up, etc. Thanks!

I've had no response to my question as to whether uninstalling Firefox and performing a Clean Install would be beneficial. Could a moderator or some knowegable person please respond to advise me on this. I'm willing to uninstall Firefox and do a clean install if guaranteed it will work. I know the clean install will give me a new profile but then I should be able to add the 2 saved profiles as well.