MozillaZine

Not receiving activation email

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
2014Seahawks

Post Posted August 22nd, 2015, 6:42 pm

I signed up so I can post in the Thunderbird section but I never got any activation email. It is not in my spam filter either. I check that regularly. I signed up using the username SeahawksXLVIII. Which I didn't use for this post because I didn't know if it would error as taken or not.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 22nd, 2015, 8:03 pm

I did a Forced Reactivation so watch for another email.

gild

Post Posted August 28th, 2015, 5:19 am

Do you have 'black lists' on your provider? Maybe they are blocking the email.

On my providers POP3 server, regular spam filters assess the message and may mark it, or place it in a spam folder on the server. Another type of filtering is 'white/black' list. If an item is on the 'white list', it is always allowed to pass. If it is on the 'black list', the message will NOT be allowed to pass, and will NOT placed in any folder in my web account. This type of filtering can have some unexpected consequences as it may block mail coming from legitimate senders.

For instance, I used to receive a lot of spam from addresses that contained 'bounce@' somewhere in the senders address ( for example 'random.bounce@randomisp.xyz '). The domain name and IP address varied with each message. I created a 'black list' entry to block addresses that contained 'bounce@'. This reduced spam significantly. I had to create a 'white list' to allow messages from a specific address to pass (example 'specific.bounce@specific.xyz' is allowed, even though it contains the offending segment.)

When I expect to receive messages from a website, I usually 'white list' their domain, especially when registering. However, sometimes the site does not use that domain to send out its activation codes, and may use an address that is on a 'black list'. Now you will NEVER see the activation email. I can inspect a list on my server that shows the last time that a filter was used, and the address. The activation message for my 'support.mozilla.org' account actually came from domain 'mx...4.email-od.com'. All other messages come from '...mozilla.org'. Go figure!

Return to MozillaZine Site Discussion