MozillaZine

Can't log in after my thread was moved

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
StarkmanAlive
Guest
 

Post Posted May 19th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Well, I can't log in now since my thread was moved from Firefox Support to MozillaZine Support.

Thanks.

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted May 19th, 2016, 9:29 pm

StarkmanAlive wrote:Well, I can't log in now since my thread was moved from Firefox Support to MozillaZine Support.

Thanks.


Forgot to say as well that trying to have it reset my password simply takes me to the Support site. I'm offered no option get get my password reset.

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27114
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted May 19th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Your thread was moved from Firefox Support to MozillaZine Tech viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3006347

You need a forums.mozillazine.org account http://forums.mozillazine.org/ucp.php?mode=login to post in all sections as only the Mozillazine Site Discussion section still allows Guest posting.

If you forgot the password for your mozillaZine forum account you can use the "I forgot my password" link on http://forums.mozillazine.org/ucp.php?mode=login

Note accounts on support.mozilla.org and forums.mozillazine.org are completely separate.

It looks like you changed password for your Starkman account here. You need to check the @hotmail.com you used to register with for a email sent for password change.

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted May 20th, 2016, 8:51 am

I don't believe I was very clear. Let me try again.

James wrote:Your thread was moved from Firefox Support to MozillaZine Tech viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3006347

I did not post to Mozilla.org. My thread was posted at viewforum.php?f=38, which, according to the Website, is MozillaZine, Firefox Support, not Mozilla.org.

James wrote:You need a forums.mozillazine.org account

I have one; it's how I posted my original thread. I've even gone back to my bookmark that took me to where I posted my original thread, and the bookmark shows the address as mozzilaZine.org.
Here is the URL in the properties of the bookmark: viewforum.php?f=38
So I never went to Mozilla.org to post my thread.
And since you folks moved my thread, I cannot log in to MozillaZine.org.

James wrote: If you forgot the password for your mozillaZine forum account you can use the "I forgot my password" link

Trying to use the "I forgot my passoword" link takes me to the page to give my username and email information. Doing so takes me right back to the forum site and never sends anything to my Hotmail account. It's simply a repeating circle: click "I forgot my password," fill out the information, back to the MozillaZine.org forum site.

I hope this is clearer.

Thanks,
Starkman

Starkman
 
Posts: 27
Joined: May 9th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Post Posted May 20th, 2016, 9:02 am

With regard to my post just above this one, I tried the "I forgot my password" about three more times, and it finally took.
I think all is well now.

Thanks.

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27114
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted May 20th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Guest wrote:I don't believe I was very clear. Let me try again.

James wrote:Your thread was moved from Firefox Support to MozillaZine Tech viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3006347

I did not post to Mozilla.org. My thread was posted at viewforum.php?f=38, which, according to the Website, is MozillaZine, Firefox Support, not Mozilla.org.

James wrote:You need a forums.mozillazine.org account

I have one; it's how I posted my original thread. I've even gone back to my bookmark that took me to where I posted my original thread, and the bookmark shows the address as mozzilaZine.org.
Here is the URL in the properties of the bookmark: viewforum.php?f=38
So I never went to Mozilla.org to post my thread.
And since you folks moved my thread, I cannot log in to MozillaZine.org.

*Mozillazine.org is independent http://www.mozillazine.org/about/ as it is not a part of nor is it run by Mozilla.org as Mozilla has their own support forum at support.mozilla.org/questions/

Your thread was created in the Firefox support section of http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php yes and your thread is still there in Firefox Support as a shadow link there as the thread was moved to the MozillaZine Tech section of this forum.

The thread being moved from one section to another had nothing to do with you not not being able to login into your account as you just forgot your password to login or mistyping. Now that you can post with your Starkman, you can posts threads/replies in ALL of index.php including the Firefox Support section.

The mozillaZine site was started back in 1998 and the forums part was started Nov 4th, 2002. Due to the Mozilla in name and people not being aware of Mozilla's own forum at support.mozilla.org/questions/ that has existed for some years now, people still occasionally mistake mozillaZine as Mozilla. Also there are no mozilla.org links on top or bottom like a typical mozilla.org page to also show it is not a Mozilla.org site.

Starkmann
Guest
 

Post Posted May 20th, 2016, 8:00 pm

James wrote:*Mozillazine.org is independent http://www.mozillazine.org/about/ as it is not a part of nor is it run by Mozilla.org as Mozilla has their own support forum at support.mozilla.org/questions/

Your thread was created in the Firefox support section of http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php yes and your thread is still there in Firefox Support as a shadow link there as the thread was moved to the MozillaZine Tech section of this forum.


I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Mozzila.org. That site, as I noted, has nothing to do with the issue. Why is this even part of the discussion?


James wrote:The thread being moved from one section to another had nothing to do with you not not being able to login into your account as you just forgot your password to login or mistyping.


Not true. I had logged in order to posted my thread, the login having gone just fine. It was only after the thread was monkeyed with (i.e., "moved") that my login would not work. I tried over and over at various times. I neither forgot my password nor mis-typed it nor had my Caps key nor had any other interference on my side.
As I stated, even the "Forgot my password" link wouldn't work; after allowing me to fill out my username and e-mail it did nothing but take me back to the forums, without sending me a link to renew my password. That was not a fault of mine; it was something screwy with the system. Clearly! And it happened over and over. Only this morning, after several attempts again, did it finally work. And, as I said, and I say again, I did nothing different than any other time I've logged in. On the third time requesting a new password it finally worked.

James wrote:Now that you can post with your Starkman, you can posts threads/replies in ALL of index.php including the Firefox Support section.


James, are you not reading my posts? I've been a member for some time now, and it was never an issue of "Wow! Now that I can log in, I can post elsewhere in the forum." Please pay attention to the posts I've posted! (Didn't the fact that I've already posted here clue you in that I'm quite aware of how forums work?)

James wrote:The mozillaZine site was started back in 1998 and the forums part was started Nov 4th, 2002. Due to the Mozilla in name and people not being aware of Mozilla's own forum at support.mozilla.org/questions/ that has existed for some years now, people still occasionally mistake mozillaZine as Mozilla. Also there are no mozilla.org links on top or bottom like a typical mozilla.org page to also show it is not a Mozilla.org site.


Again, I'm not sure why you keep harping on this? Mozilla.org is neither here nor there. If it didn't exist right now, there'd be no change in anything I've said. I even gave the URL for the bookmark I have for this site, not Mozilla.org. Why do you keep going back to that site?

Anyway, the solution has been found. I'm finished with the topic at this point.

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27114
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted May 20th, 2016, 8:45 pm

Starkmann wrote:Not true. I had logged in order to posted my thread, the login having gone just fine. It was only after the thread was monkeyed with (i.e., "moved") that my login would not work.

Look the only thing the Mod did was just move your thread to another section of http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php. The Mods do thread moves several times a week here and the OP is still able to login and continue to post in their thread over time just fine. You are the first I have ever seen here if your claim was true that a simple thread move somehow affected your ability to login to your account.

Starkmann wrote:As I stated, even the "Forgot my password" link wouldn't work; after allowing me to fill out my username and e-mail it did nothing but take me back to the forums, without sending me a link to renew my password.

Oh you did change the password alright, four times in almost three minutes at last attempts. Did you check for new emails in Hotmail account before trying again. You were the only one that did any changes to the Starkman account due to the password resets.

Starkmann wrote:I even gave the URL for the bookmark I have for this site, not Mozilla.org. Why do you keep going back to that site?.

You gave me the url of the Firefox support section of this forum which is one of the five parts of the Firefox part of this forum. The url was not to the thread itself. Also as I said your thread was still listed in Firefox Support as a shadow link as the Image shows so you would still have found your thread.

You mentioned the mozilla.org as if you thought the MozillaZine Tech was a separate mozilla.org site and not simply one of the sections on http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php (scroll to bottom to see it) as it is just below MozillaZine Site Discussion.

Guest wrote:
James wrote:Your thread was moved from Firefox Support to MozillaZine Tech viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3006347

I did not post to Mozilla.org. My thread was posted at viewforum.php?f=38, which, according to the Website, is MozillaZine, Firefox Support, not Mozilla.org.

In case you forgot as it was you that that mentioned mozilla.org to my reply when I never did.

amrad
 
Posts: 2225
Joined: May 29th, 2004, 9:01 pm
Location: UK

Post Posted May 21st, 2016, 1:55 am

James wrote:In case you forgot as it was you that that mentioned mozilla.org to my reply when I never did.

Actually, you did mention support.mozilla.org in your post: viewtopic.php?p=14607743#p14607743 before the OP did.

James wrote:Note accounts on support.mozilla.org and forums.mozillazine.org are completely separate.

Regards,

Dave.

Starkman
 
Posts: 27
Joined: May 9th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Post Posted May 21st, 2016, 11:26 am

james wrote: Oh you did change the password alright, four times in almost three minutes at last attempts. Did you check for new emails in Hotmail account before trying again. You were the only one that did any changes to the Starkman account due to the password resets.


Yes, I changed my password a few times, both before the login issue and after, but clearly not during the login issue (I mean, obviously, we wouldn't be having the conversation if I were able to have changed my password after my post was moved!). It wasn't until yesterday when, again, after several attempts to get the "I forgot my password" function to work that it finally kicked in. And until then, as I told you, I never got an email, not a one in all the other attempts except the last attempt.

james wrote:You gave me the url of the Firefox support section of this forum which is one of the five parts of the Firefox part of this forum. The url was not to the thread itself. Also as I said your thread was still listed in Firefox Support as a shadow link as the Image shows so you would still have found your thread.


Yes, the URL I gave you was not to the thread itself—that should have been clear—but to this site in general; to demonstrate that I have both an understanding of the difference between Mozilla.org and MozillaZine.org. Further, I've had an account here for some time and have posted here before. That was the point of the URL.

If you go back in this thread, you'll see that your initial answer to my matter includes your statement, You need a forums.mozillazine.org account ucp.php?mode=login to post in all sections as only the Mozillazine Site Discussion section still allows Guest posting.. Why would you write such a thing if I had a thread that was moved? Wouldn't that have been clear enough that I already have an account? Perhaps your statement was included in a canned text answer. If so, then it should have been edited out in order to avoid creating confusion by telling someone that they have to have an account to post when they've already posted.

james wrote:You mentioned the mozilla.org as if you thought the MozillaZine Tech was a separate mozilla.org site and not simply one of the sections on index.php (scroll to bottom to see it) as it is just below MozillaZine Site Discussion.


and....

james wrote:In case you forgot as it was you that that mentioned Mozilla.org to my reply when I never did.


and...

amrad wrote:Actually, you did mention support.mozilla.org in your post: viewtopic.php?p=14607743#p14607743 before the OP did.


Again, here's my original post that was moved: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3006347. Where in here did I say anything about Mozilla.org? I can't find anything of the sort. And as to this thread (in which I'm posting right now), same thing: where did I mentioned Mozilla.org first? Would you mind cutting/pasting my mentioning of Mozilla.org for me? Perhaps that will clear up some of this on my side.

Otherwise, as I said, the issue has been cleared up.

Return to MozillaZine Site Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests