Not receiving email alerts about board responses

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
eager to learn

Not receiving email alerts about board responses

Post by eager to learn »

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 with Firefox 36.0.1 (soon to upgrade) with Thunderbird (ver 12.0.1).

I used to get auto email alerts whenever anyone posted a response to my post. Then, they suddenly stopped for some reason. I don't have any junk filters set. A moderator posted a while back in response to this lack of e-mail alert that the forum was having a problem e-mail alerting. Is there someone in admin who could help? Up until about Sept 2015 I was receiving e-mail alerts with no problems and I haven't changed any settings since.

In User Control Panel under Board Preferences - I have a dot in a circle next to the following: 1. Users can contact me by e-mail 2. Notify me on new private messages and 3. Allow users to send you a private message. At the bottom of this topic forum I have a check-mark next to - Notify me when a reply is posted. However, I still do not receive any e-mail alerts when a reply has been posted. I'm using Thunderbird and I'm receiving e-mail alerts from other lists I'm subscribed to when someone posts a response to that list. Can you please help me decipher what's amiss here? Thank you.
tanstaafl

Re: Not receiving email alerts about board responses

Post by tanstaafl »

I clicked on your email icon to test if the email address associated with your account is still valid. Did you get that message? I didn't uncheck the checkmark to send a copy to myself, and got a copy of the message.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Hi I never got the message. I don't get messages alerts for Private Messages or any posts to a board either.

Can you explain the difference between my Outbox and my Sent Messages in User Control Panel?

I click Submit for a PM but it does not end up in my Sent Messages but is in my Outbox. Does that mean it was not sent?

How do I make sure a PM is sent/received?

Can I cc or bcc PMs in the User Control Panel?

Than you for your help.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The outbox contains private messages that have been sent but not read by the recipient yet. Once they've been read, they're moved to the sent messages folder.

Check that user control panel -> board preferences -> edit global settings has "users can contact me by e-mail" etc. set to yes

Check what email address is listed in user control panel -> profile -> edit account settings. I used http://validateemailaddress.org/ to validate your email address and it claims its valid, but you never know.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Thanks for the ca;clarification re: Outbox -vs- Set,.

The "users can contact me by e-mail" etc. set to yes is and always has been set to yes since I subscribed.

The e-mail address is also correct.

It's so weird barbecue I used to get e-mail alerts until about Sept 2015 and then they suddenly stopped.

I changed no settings, no passwords, no e-mail address - nothing changed on my part.

Should I unsubscribe and then re-subscribe?'

Thank you.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

It's so weird barbecue I used to get e-mail alerts......
What's a barbecue got to do with this?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Should I unsubscribe and then re-subscribe?'"

I don't know if it will do any good but its worth trying.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Any other further thoughts/suggestions about ensuring response alerts are e-mailed to me besides unsubscribing and re-subscribing?

Will I lose all my prior posts or recent responses to my posts in private messages if I unsubscribe?

Thanks.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It should have no effect on your posts or any existing private messages.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Interesting. I now get a couple of e-mail alerts but not to all replies. Weird.