Languages translation thread?

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
LuvKomputrs

Languages translation thread?

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a languages translation thread here at the forums.
Seen many other forums that have threads for members who speak other languages other than English e.g. French, Russian, German, etc.
While most members write in English here, however not everyone is fluent in it.
I myself am fluent in both English and German. I live in Canada and was born in Canada and I when I was growing up I learned to read, write and speak in German in a German immersion school in addition to the Canadian public school where I learned to read, write and speak in English.
I spoke to my parents in German at home and in English with my friends and family members born here in Canada that don't speak German at all and going to school and most of my relatives live in Germany.
I have dual citizenship German and Canadian. My parents felt it was very important that I learned about the German culture and the customs and my German heritage.
One family member that now lives here in Canada born and raised in Germany, my Onkel Hans, my Mother's cousin, and I speak in German when I talk to him.
I've noticed that sometimes an online translator is used here, however, those translators aren't always accurate in the translation.
e.g. German to English.
Some cultures do differ in many ways from those in Canada and the US and Germans as an example can come across as rather blunt/rude at times, not intentionally, but that's part of the culture. My Mother was always very blunt. She was born and raised in Germany and my Father as well(he was more soft spoken). LOL
I would be willing to help moderate such a thread(with other members who speak other languages fluently (other than German) as co-moderators) if the admin/moderators think this is a good idea.
DanRaisch

Re: Languages translation thread?

Post by DanRaisch »

There are forums for the support of Mozilla products in other languages and that's probably the best way for folks requiring such support to obtain it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LuvKomputrs wrote:While most members write in English here, however not everyone is fluent in it..
That includes most of the members here whose first language is English as well.

Anyone who really cannot make themselves understood here at all, I just assume that they are either #1. Grumpus or #2. Must be Japanese and send them here - https://mozillazine.jp/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Not my fault we're separated by a common language. :lol:
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
trolly

Post by trolly »

Even if two people speak the same language they may not understand each other.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

trolly wrote:Even if two people speak the same language they may not understand each other.
Something we see repeatedly on these very forums. :shock:
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grumpus wrote:tNo ym uatlf e'erw artpedaes yb a oonmmc genlgaau. :lol:
Nope, beats me as usual.

Perhaps try here? - https://mozillazine.jp/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)