How many letters in Mozilla

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Philip Rayment

Re: How many letters in Mozilla

Post by Philip Rayment »

When is this going to be fixed? Thanks to this stuff up, I've been delayed in (hopefully) sorting out a problem with my e-mails.

It was said above that "This is not news. It's been an issue for a while now."
That was nearly two years ago (that it's been an issue for a while)! So why isn't it fixed?

It was also said that "A new version of forum software will be introduced soon so I doubt anyone will worry about that letter count right away."
So when WILL they worry about it? Next century?

"Don't over think it. The correct answer is 6."
Utter nonsense. That is simply downplaying that the required answer is incorrect, not "correct".

"So nothing else occurred to you what it was really about?. It did not say "How many total letters in Mozilla" It asked how many letters there are in the word Mozilla as you counted the l twice to make it 7"
No, it asked how many letters, not unique letters nor different letters. And no, I did not count a letter twice. I counted {i]each[/i] l once. This is called blaming the victim.

"Thank you, I understand. English is not my mother tongue and I interpreted the question differently."
English IS my mother tongue, and the required answer is simply incorrect.

"its part of an intelligence test here - nevertheless you have been registered to write this as a first posting? impressive "statement""
I'm not sure how much this was meant as a joke, but if it's an intelligence test, the tester has failed. Similar to others, I put in the correct answer "7", then "seven", then 9 (wondering if the mistake was in counting non-letter characters as letters), and one or two more before I was no longer allowed to try. So I had to leave it, go off and do something else that took most of the day, and only now have I got back. To find this level of incompetence in a CAPTCHA is bad enough, but to then find people downplaying or denying the obvious error and blaming the victim is infuriating.
Last edited by Philip Rayment on June 29th, 2020, 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Philip Rayment wrote:Thanks to this stuff up, I've been delayed in (hopefully) sorting out a problem with my e-mails..
But not so delayed that you still had time to write this wall of text first.
Philip Rayment wrote:It was also said that "...
You're quite selective in your choice of quotes, I note. Conventionally, totally missing out the ones that tell you what is going on -

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14834614

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14840264

The answer to your next question is never.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
James

Post by James »

Philip Rayment wrote:"Don't over think it. The correct answer is 6."
Utter nonsense. That is simply downplaying that the required answer is incorrect, not "correct".
If the question was say "How many combined letters in Mozilla" or "How many combined total letters in Mozilla" then yes the 6 would indeed be incorrect. I guess it never occurred to you that it could be about say how many unique letters in Mozilla as in M o z i l a = 6. Even if kerz had put in the word unique there to make it more clear there would likely still be complaints about 6 being incorrect.

Anyways I guess you also missed this Announcement http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3059877
Philip Rayment

Post by Philip Rayment »

Nonsense. The delay was in the order of half a day, i.e. 12 hours. That's far, far, more time than it took me to write my comment.
You're quite selective in your choice of quotes, I note. Conventionally, totally missing out the ones that tell you what is going on -
Still trying to excuse the inexcusable. My "choice" of quotes are the ones that blame the victim and misrepresent that the required answer is incorrect. I could just as readily accuse you of being quite selective in your choice of quotes, totally missing the ones that point out that the required answer is incorrect.
Philip Rayment

Post by Philip Rayment »

If the question was say "How many combined letters in Mozilla" or "How many combined total letters in Mozilla" then yes the 6 would indeed be incorrect.
And as it stands it is also incorrect. Proposing other versions of the question for which 6 is also incorrect doesn't change that.
I guess it never occurred to you that it could be about say how many unique letters in Mozilla as in M o z i l a = 6.
No, it didn't (obviously). Perhaps it would have before too long, but I used up the allowed number of tries before I got to that point.
Even if kerz had put in the word unique there to make it more clear there would likely still be complaints about 6 being incorrect.
That comment appears to be based on the incorrect assumption that all complaints have equal validity. They don't.
Anyways I guess you also missed this Announcement viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3059877
Yes, I did. I was Googling for a solution, came across this site, saw that part of it was specifically about "Thunderbird Support", checked that the site was active (it was; the previous last post was in the last few hours), so tried to register. I wasn't about to go looking all over the site just in case there happened to be an announcement like that one.

Given that I haven't received an answer to my question, Is there another site you could recommend that I try, to find a solution?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Philip Rayment wrote:
Nonsense.
Don't you nonsense me, you cheeky sod.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's enough. The forum admin has a full time job not involving the board. The moderators don't have access to change that captcha question. The correct answer is 6, which has been given above. Locking this as pointless.