Knowledge Base

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
smsmith

Re: Knowledge Base

Post by smsmith »

LoudNoise wrote:Anyone else having problems with the Google Custom search? I get search hits. Using the old search works fine.
Steps to reproduce
Use any of the KB searches that use Google.
Search for Profile
Results: A new page that only shows ads, no search results.

tanstaafl wrote:The google custom search has been broken for weeks, for me. I can't find any workaround (tried deleting history and cookies, different browsers), I have to use a normal google search instead.

Anybody contacted kerz to see about getting this fixed?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I sent him a email a couple weeks ago and a private message a week ago (never read) about it.

Post by Guest »

Guest as LN on Lunch.

For what it may be worth, my problem was fixed by allow by allowing googleapis.com in NoScript.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I've read similar posts. I'm not using NoScript with Firefox, but whitelisted both googleapis.com and google.com in Ghostery and uBlock Origin. I've also tried running Firefox in safe mode. It doesn't make a difference. I also have this problem if I use the PaleMoon, Vivalidi or IE browser, none of which have any extensions or ad blocking.
ryukun

Post by ryukun »

Please add following tools to Import .pst files wiki page.
cchris

Post by cchris »

Hi
I have a fair amount of extensions not listed in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyboard_shortcut_registry_for_extension_authors_%28Firefox%29, and would consider adding their default shortcuts. Two options seem to be available:
a/ let me get an account there and I do the addition myself - I'm rather familiar with MediaWiki markup language
b/ let me know where I could post the information so that someone already authorised can add it.
Please let me know which option is preferred and the associated particulars.
CChris
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Based on several experiences, which may be related to existing files in Fx profiles that seemed, overall, to work properly, I suggest a change to a Knowledg Base file so that it recommends copying an extensions folder from an existing profile to a new one before copying the files. Doing it in that order elimiates (and, again, it may only be related to my experiences), such as the failure of a number of extension-specific icons to appear in the new profile.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

In my experience that can also break things
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

malliz wrote:In my experience that can also break things

Assuming that you were referring to my suggestion, yes and no: I started a new profile on my wife's computer a short while ago, after removing Zemana, as discussed in another thread, which fixed the problem of my Fx UAS being changed when rebooting.

The first thing I did was to copy the Extensions folder into the new profile; unlike what I found on my computer when doing that, I did get the bothersome set of tabs, so I decided to see what would happen if I closed all of the tabs before doing anything else. That done, I opened the Add-oms Manager, and there I found all of the extensions there in disabled mode. The first one that I enabled was one that I had, in an earlier new-profile creation, opened from its tab, and which failed to show its icon; when I enabled it from the Add-ons list, the icon appeared. Several other extension-related icons failed to appear when I used the tabs, all of which were present when i started over in my profile and enabled from Add-ons.

Based on that, I would add to my suggested change that, if the tabs do appear upon Extensions folder copying, that the tabs be closed and the extensions be enabled from Add-ons;
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

John Liebson wrote:Based on several experiences, which may be related to existing files in Fx profiles that seemed, overall, to work properly, I suggest a change to a Knowledg Base file so that it recommends copying an extensions folder from an existing profile to a new one before copying the files.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

John, I wrote a fair bit of that article and, as it says, the point of it is to - 'selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile and provides a list of suggested files.'

People do that when they have had trouble with the old profile and 90% of the problems people get relate to their extensions or prefs.js

Really your suggestion relates to a different task, i.e. cloning a profile and that would be a very short article - create new profile, go into that new profile and then close Firefox. Delete everything in that new profile and replace with entire contents of old profile. Restart Firefox.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

True, but I had no problems with my Extensions folder in the old profile, and the results of copying that folder to a new profile vary, thus my suggestion that the instructions be changed to reflect that. I'm not arguing with the Knowledge Base article; rather, I feel that it could be improved. No need to create a new article, just add information to the existing one.

I have written, reviewed, and edited things much longer, documents that could have a very definite effect on the lives of firefighters and the saving of property; I've never been loathe to improve these items, namely structural fire protection training manuals.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

John Liebson wrote:I have written, reviewed, and edited things much longer, documents that could have a very definite effect on the lives of firefighters and the saving of property; I've never been loathe to improve these items, namely structural fire protection training manuals.

I'm guessing that was a while ago?

Can I suggest you read our articles slightly more closely next time? Like this part that is already in it? -

If you were not having any problems with the old profile, you can delete the entire contents of the new profile folder and then copy everything you wish to transfer at once, into the new profile folder.

In my previous post, I was trying to avoid mentioning that part, so as not to embarrass you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
foudfou

Post by foudfou »

Hi, I'm the developper of the FireTray addon.
I'd like to bring an update on this page http://kb.mozillazine.org/Minimize_to_s ... derbird%29:
FireTray now supports Windows, and should probably be listed along side MinimizeToTray revived.
Besides it provides a bit more functionality than MinimizeToTray revived, like message count in the tray icon.
Cheers
slimky

Post by slimky »

Hi all,

I was looking for information about Thunderbird and Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts. I find a lot of useful information in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail but not the one I was looking for. As a matter of fact, I was not able to connect properly to the outlook.com servers because my credentials were invalid. After a long journey for information coupled with trials and errors, I found out that the account I was trying to setup was using a 2 steps validation and that you must not use your account password but instead the 2 step verification password for your application (or you can also disable the 2 step validation...). More information here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... cation-faq

It would be great if this information was added to the http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail page to explain why your login might fail. I can do it if you give me access, but since I'm mostly passing by, it might be better if one of you did it.

Thanks a lot for the site, it really helped me :)
slimky
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

After a search of the Boards, I do not think anyone reported this problem. In my recent thread someone referred me to a page to download Cut MboxD; but the programmer's page to download it has broken links. So, I am not sure what to try next to repair my SeaMonkey inbox.