MozillaZine

KB wiki supplement/replacement?

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
tanstaafl

Post Posted February 1st, 2020, 6:54 pm

A lot of the KB articles need updating and its not clear when kerz (the site admin) will be reachable. I'd like to copy some KB articles to some other MediaWiki based wiki and update them. I'm thinking of initially doing this just for a couple dozen Thunderbird articles, but might get more ambitious later on and update some Firefox KB articles too. I could create a post in the existing KB thread with a link to the new wiki.

I thought about trying to find some volunteers to help move and maintain the entire wiki but I don't think that is realistic. For several years I've been the only frequent KB contributor. Most of the other editors that were fairly active such as Alice Wyman seem to do that only for the SUMO Knowledge Base now. I want to maintain fairly technical KB articles such as mail and news settings and files and folders in the profile and opinion based articles such as Keep it working which would be unwelcome there. I want to stick with MediaWiki because I'd hoping that eventually I can move the updated KB articles back. I'm also hoping that when that occurs there might be renewed interest in maintaining the KB articles. Having a prominent "The End" thread doesn't exactly encourage people to help out :)

Suggestions on where/how to create this wiki? I'd prefer to use a existing MediaWiki service rather than install the software on a web host. If the entire wiki is not being migrated it doesn't seem to make sense to use a commercial service such as HostGator or MyWikis offer. I'm thinking of one of the following:

Miraheze (free, no ads, most servers in Netherlands but three in USA and one in Singapore)
ShoutWiki (free but has ads, servers in USA)

Does anybody have any experience with them?

http://gardener.shoutwiki.com/wiki/WikiGardener is an example of a wiki created at ShoutWiki. Notice the gardener prefix. I don't think I have the right to use MozillaZine as its name (even though I'm a MozillaZine KB admin creating a supplementary wiki for MozillaZine) so I'll have to use a slightly different name. Suggestions?

I re-read http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:Rules_an ... e_problems which talks about license issues. Both of those wikis state something like "Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported unless otherwise noted." which is compatible with both what we and SUMO use.

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 3rd, 2020, 11:34 pm

I created an account at Miraheze and requested a MZLAZine wiki. That request has to be reviewed by a volunteer.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted February 4th, 2020, 12:21 am

Ok thank you tanstaafl
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

tanstaafl

Post Posted February 9th, 2020, 6:04 pm

I created the wiki and started to migrate a article and realized I had overlooked something critical. I was editing HTML for a table, not wiki markup. I had been thinking in terms of copying the source for an existing article to the new wiki, and editing it. I had been mainly worried about backwards compatibility. However, I only have access to the HTML created by the server processing the wiki markup. I forgot that when kerz put the KB in read-only mode he also disabled the side panel (which I need to view the source). Oops. Embarrassing.

MediaWiki supports extensions. There is a Html2Wiki extension that can be used to import HTML content (including images) into your wiki. However, "Only someone with administration access to the filesystem (and often the database too) on a server can install extensions for MediaWiki, but anyone can check which extensions are active on an instance of MediaWiki by accessing the Special:Version page". I only have rights for the wiki. Looking at Special:Version on the wiki I created it lists a good number of extensions but not that one.

In many cases its not that bad copying&pasting the text and adding the formatting again. But its a disaster for some articles such as mail and news settings. And the wasted time adds up quickly if I ever try to migrate a lot of the articles. https://openwetware.org/wiki/Converting ... iki_markup has a link to a demo for Pandoc, a tool to convert HTML to many different markup formats. I tried that with http://kb.mozillazine.org/Not_an_IMAP4_server . Not bad, but the demo is too crippled, it loses all of the source after the first paragraph. There is a version for Windows which I'll try. OpenOffice supports exporting a document as mediawiki so maybe I can use LibreOffice to convert HTML to mediawiki. Another possibility is to install html2wiki software (requires Perl so probably safest to do that under Linux) but it doesn't look like its been maintained for over a decade.

I'll start with Pandoc first.

Return to MozillaZine Site Discussion