The End

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

The End

Post by kerz »

Well, the time has come unfortunately. I unfortunately no longer have time to keep the site running (as you may have noticed). I'll be moving the site into readonly mode, to prepare to archive it in the next little while, starting with the KB, then the Forums. It's been a pleasure serving you for the last 21 years, but all good things must come to an end. Special thanks to the moderators who have hung on for so long, and everyone else who continues to post and chat.

jason
Last edited by tanstaafl on March 1st, 2020, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Created normal copy of original global sticky thread in Site discussion forum - Tanstaafl
Brummelchen

Re: The End

Post by Brummelchen »

oh man, please dont. is there really no one willing to continue this server? selling it?
Bac_a_sable

Post by Bac_a_sable »

First: thank you for all years.
But, any alternative to shutdown?
James

Post by James »

Oh wow .. Is it time or money or both?

hmm I guess the SUMO forums is going to get the traffic from here that is if people are willing to use a Firefox Account just to post on the SUMO site.
just

Edit: Tanstaafl butchered the original much longer The End thread in careless splits. I tried to restore the original thread from the multiple pieces he put it in but he kept making it worse in splitting off whole sections at a time over and over and ignored different measures taken to try and get him to stop but was too late. This short thread copy may seem out of place at times in sections due to the unnecessary chunks taken out. He should just stick to Thunderbird support since he admitted he did not know how to use the mod controls very well.
veryslow

Post by veryslow »

This sounds bad. Would be great to find some solution to at least keep the forums alive. Josa's daily build information is indispensable.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

James wrote:
hmm I guess the SUMO forums is going to get the traffic from here that is if people are willing to use a Firefox Account just to post on the SUMO site.
Count me out
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
bob c

Post by bob c »

Thank You-I'm sad-I understand-Wish it wasn't so. Really been a good ride.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Sorry to hear this. Been fun/educational/ and a pleasure helping others along.

Guess I'll have to find a new hobby....
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Oh no!
Please Jason.
If there's any way to keep the fora alive, we'd all really appreciate it.

Serving on here gives me the opportunity to assist, as best I can, anyone with a problem
PLUS, it keeps my old brain cells functioning.

I try my best for around 6 or 7 hours every night & don't know what I would do without mozillaZine
to stay active.

Thank you Jason.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

kerz wrote:Well, the time has come unfortunately. I unfortunately no longer have time to keep the site running (as you may have noticed).
Hi Jason,

As the site is already hosted by OSL then why not just swing over to their Managed Hosting? - http://osuosl.org/services/hosting/details/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
grahamperrin

Mozilla forums

Post by grahamperrin »

Thanks, and for people who may be unaware of this:

https://discourse.mozilla.org/
WaltS48

Re: Mozilla forums

Post by WaltS48 »

grahamperrin wrote:Thanks, and for people who may be unaware of this:

https://discourse.mozilla.org/
Discourse is not a support site.

Official support is at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/

If you want unofficial, use the newsgroups, mailing lists or archive at Google Groups. Supported by volunteers just like mozillaZine. Firefox and Thunderbird groups are moderated.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Well, the shoe has finally dropped ...

I certainly sympathize and understand, but still, what a blow. This has been a "home" to me for 17 years now, and in that time I've learned a lot and tried to pass it on by helping others as best I can. The official Moz support site just isn't the same. You will be missed, sorely.

Thanks for all the fish.

Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
therube

Post by therube »

:( .

Thank you for all you have done for the mozilla community :-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

So long and thanks for all the fish :( Josas changelogs will be sorely missed.