The End

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
lovemyfoxy

Re: The End

Post by lovemyfoxy »

error dupe
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on October 5th, 2019, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

would be great to see the site maintained an upgraded to the latest software, but its still up to Jason ( Kerz ) to hand it over, but afaik Jason did say he wasnt gonna hand over the forum?
Howdy folks, just a few answers. Unfortunately due to the size and age of the current set of forums, I'm not sure OSU is all that interested in continuing to host them without someone owning the actual software to run them. I'm working with them to host an archive of them, but need to start winding down things like databases and dynamic code, as I just don't have time anymore. I will miss you all here as well. If you're interested, I've created https://reddit.com/r/mozillazine/ which I'd be happy to open to others. I find reddit to be a much better interface these days rather than these old forums, hopefully you'll give it a try as well.
Sorry, by owning I mean someone who knows PHP, MySQL, etc who can patch both the machines and the software itself as new versions come out. Just leaving something running on the internet is a bad idea, and not something that OSU supports, which is why we're here now (I agree with them). The reason keeping MZ alive is because of how much legacy there is. If someone is interested in figuring out a new forum that they'd like me to point at, happy to do so. I can not however transfer the current data to a new owner, because of the complexities of that (user data sharing, etc)
Last edited by Snake4 on October 5th, 2019, 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Mouse4 wrote:
LoveMyFoxy wrote:i had a look at the forum, its crapola, not setup right

You mean the Firefox threads should be all together in a subforum.

How about subforums of "Internet and Mail" at virtualdr.com? or separate forums? That site has been solid as a rock since the beginning of time, and I've been there 20 years.
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/
what i mean, the forum should be laid out the same as this one is
They're using different software.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:
Mouse4 wrote:
LoveMyFoxy wrote:i had a look at the forum, its crapola, not setup right

You mean the Firefox threads should be all together in a subforum.

How about subforums of "Internet and Mail" at virtualdr.com? or separate forums? That site has been solid as a rock since the beginning of time, and I've been there 20 years.
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/
what i mean, the forum should be laid out the same as this one is
They're using different software.
yeah i see that, i know vbulletin, i just dunno phpbb software
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Reddit is more interested in social networking than being a help desk. You can actually change the sequence of replies by voting on whether you like them. :shock: :shock:
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on October 5th, 2019, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Mouse4 wrote:would be great to see the site maintained an upgraded to the latest software, but its still up to Jason ( Kerz ) to hand it over, but afaik Jason did say he wasnt gonna hand over the forum?
Howdy folks, just a few answers. Unfortunately due to the size and age of the current set of forums, I'm not sure OSU is all that interested in continuing to host them without someone owning the actual software to run them. I'm working with them to host an archive of them, but need to start winding down things like databases and dynamic code, as I just don't have time anymore. I will miss you all here as well. If you're interested, I've created https://reddit.com/r/mozillazine/ which I'd be happy to open to others. I find reddit to be a much better interface these days rather than these old forums, hopefully you'll give it a try as well.
Sorry, by owning I mean someone who knows PHP, MySQL, etc who can patch both the machines and the software itself as new versions come out. Just leaving something running on the internet is a bad idea, and not something that OSU supports, which is why we're here now (I agree with them). The reason keeping MZ alive is because of how much legacy there is. If someone is interested in figuring out a new forum that they'd like me to point at, happy to do so. I can not however transfer the current data to a new owner, because of the complexities of that (user data sharing, etc)
i hope Kerz changes his mind an hands the forum over to someone else
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
breee

Post by breee »

Hello kerz
Take a bow. Please. Jason. Thank You.
hope to see You participating in the future seamonkey forum landing page.

Hardly noticed that it has been such a great number of years that this forum has been helping us with the applications we use every day. Now reflecting on its sum upon its dissolve. Sad time after a great run. So old it was like a building block of the internet while it served help for the applications. I could get verbose and tearful.
See y'All down the line. Cheers.

bravo. kerz. handshake.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

breee wrote:Hello kerz
Take a bow. Please. Jason. Thank You.
hope to see You participating in the future seamonkey forum landing page.

Hardly noticed that it has been such a great number of years that this forum has been helping us with the applications we use every day. Now reflecting on its sum upon its dissolve. Sad time after a great run. So old it was like a building block of the internet while it served help for the applications. I could get verbose and tearful.
See y'All down the line. Cheers.

bravo. kerz. handshake.
Last edited by Snake4 on October 6th, 2019, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

"a building block of the internet"...

When I was new to computers, an instructor at my computer club warned us "Using IE is like having your electric toothbrush and circular saw on the same electric cord." And so I moved to Netscape, the precursor of Firefox and the creator of Javascript and SSL...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Like most long unlocked Sticky threads, this thread has now reached the junk post 'quote a long post and add a sentence to it' stage and so it's easy to miss the useful stuff amongst all the dross. (guess the mods are all off getting drunk or something)

So, here's a couple of links to earlier posts here that I think people should read -

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14846467

winapp2 is well known to people in the Firefox Builds forum as a former changelog keeper and the actual post is self-explanatory.

Now, on Page 4, there was a post that was easy to miss -

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14845490

So, who exactly is this IanN? Well, aside from Ian Neal being a real life IT Technical Systems Consultant / Professional, he is also the main man on the SeaMonkey Council and is the SeaMonkey code module owner (all dev coding has to be approved by him)

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/about

In addition to being involved with SeaMonkey since 2004, Ian is also a Software Dev. for Mozilla since 2003, who has been contributing and reviewing code for products built off the Mozilla code base including Firefox, SeaMonkey and Thunderbird on a voluntary basis.

If required, IanN looks very suitable to be the Admin here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

IanN would be better to contact Kerz IMO
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Mouse4 wrote:IanN would be better to contact Kerz IMO

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Well to me, given Frank Lion's research, it looks like IanN is the best positive offer so far, though with caveats requiring further information. I note that it looks like he joined the forum just to make his offer and enquiry for further information on what is involved in running the forum, so that indicates positive interest on his part.

The response from OSL to winapp2's enquiry was by my reading positive that a way is available to save the forum. However, as the response implies, and as winapp2 makes clear at the end of his post, it really is all down to Jason being approachable or even contacting IanN himself to see if there is a way forward there.

Seems to me that Jason is so focused on shutting things down that he might not be open to negotiation with IanN. That might not be the case, but here, on the forum we are none the wiser unless Jason posts and says what he is actually doing in this respect. And we really, really need that information here on the forum.

Personally, given that it looks like there is a potential way forward for keeping the forum open, I would think that Jason should call a moratorium on closing the forum down for, say, six months and gets into negotiations with IanN to see if anything can be done via that route. But I also think there needs to be a public component to this -- posting information in this thread as things progress. If there are hitches in negotiation then maybe other folks on this forum can help to solve them, but public information is needed to facilitate that. Seems to me that is the big stumbling block just now, lack of public engagement from Jason on what can be done, from his point of view, to save the forum. Have a care for the community Jason, this would be the decent thing to do.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I sent Kerz a email about Ian being a good candidate, that included a link to Franks post. In the past when I sent Kerz email about a problem with the forum or KB I rarely got a response, but he appeared to react to it.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

tanstaafl wrote:I sent Kerz a email about Ian being a good candidate, that included a link to Franks post. In the past when I sent Kerz email about a problem with the forum or KB I rarely got a response, but he appeared to react to it.
That's a positive sign. :)
Am hoping that Ian is chosen to take over and the forum is kept going. [-o<