"how many letters are in Mozilla"

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
saprobe

"how many letters are in Mozilla"

Post by saprobe »

- asks the spambot-preventer. There are 7. The prompt, though, requires the number 6. Which is a weird bug?
DanRaisch

Re: "how many letters are in Mozilla"

Post by DanRaisch »

Not a bug, just an odd decision by the Administrator. The question refers to the number of unique letters in the word, not the absolute number.
bob.briscoe

Post by bob.briscoe »

We will never know how many people have given up registering because they didn't think to keep trying different numbers (ironically as a robot might). Even when I eventually got in by trial and error (7,7,8,7,6) it didn't occur to me why 6 was correct. I just assumed it was a dumb slip by the questioner.

So, @DanRaisch, please s/letters/unique letters/ in the question. Otherwise we're just putting up an unnecessary barrier to genuine humans registering to contribute.

Thank you.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
"We" cannot alter the Log in function in any way.
For ref; > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3065755

There are a whole heap of other posts on the subject in this forum.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
bob.briscoe

Post by bob.briscoe »

I'd already read the linked thread you gave before responding (I try to research before answering), but that thread doesn't say anything about moderators not being able to alter the login function. Did you mean another link?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That link didn't specifically address your questions but see this one for more clarification -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3063618
bob.briscoe

Post by bob.briscoe »

Understood. Is it inherent that there can only be one admin? That seems like the problem here (other than the eternal problem of useful people only having as much time per day as everyone else).

BTW, I registered so that I could post the solution to a long-standing open question on the SeaMonkey support forum. But my initial post seems to still be stuck with the moderator. If you can arrange for its release, pls do.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Having just one Admin has not been a significant issue here over the years. Because of that and the way the forums were founded and maintained through personal connections it has not been something felt to be worth pursuing.

You're solution may not have been approved for the SeaMonkey forum if it was in reply to a thread that died several years ago.
James

Post by James »

bob.briscoe wrote:t didn't occur to me why 6 was correct. I just assumed it was a dumb slip by the questioner.

So, @DanRaisch, please s/letters/unique letters/ in the question. Otherwise we're just putting up an unnecessary barrier to genuine humans registering to contribute.
How many letters in Mozilla?

Interesting that some people jump to the conclusion that sentence was only about the combined total of letters (counting L twice) even though was no such mention.

m o z i l a = 6

Mods here have limited admin ability as in dealing with accounts which are always spam accounts except for the rare occasion somebody had say account activation issues.
bob.briscoe

Post by bob.briscoe »

DanRaisch wrote:Having just one Admin has not been a significant issue here over the years.
Blissful ignorance is not absence of a problem. It is often said that only a tiny percentage of people highlight a problem - the silent majority just move on. No-one knows how many people have /not/ subscribed because of the single Admin not adding that single word 'unique'. We'll never know how many of those non-subscribers might have become more active contributors.

The reason I addressed you, @DanRaisch, as moderator, was not because you could fix the problem, but because you would be more likely to know who could fix the problem.

I'm sure you don't want to have to keep responding to posts like this, so I'll shut up now.
DanRaisch wrote:You're solution may not have been approved for the SeaMonkey forum if it was in reply to a thread that died several years ago.
Would I have received a rejection email (my post elicited a welcome email, but I haven't seen any rejection yet)?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A rejection email could be involved in the process but it is optional. There are also issues of such messages winding up in spam/junk folders either in the email client or the servers.
fred42

Post by fred42 »

James wrote:
bob.briscoe wrote:t didn't occur to me why 6 was correct. I just assumed it was a dumb slip by the questioner.

How many letters in Mozilla?

Interesting that some people jump to the conclusion that sentence was only about the combined total of letters (counting L twice) even though was no such mention.

m o z i l a = 6

Mods here have limited admin ability as in dealing with accounts which are always spam accounts except for the rare occasion somebody had say account activation issues.
I've been struggling on and off for a few days to log in. I couldn't reset my password or re-register because I couldn't get past the letters question. I've asked a few (reasonably intelligent) people and all say 7. It's unhelpful and irritating, I'm afraid.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's unhelpful and irritating, I'm afraid.
Never the less, 6 is the required response.