MozillaZine

Why the site went down (also discusses future of web site)

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
ndebord

Post Posted December 18th, 2020, 11:09 am

malliz wrote:We know who the admin is we just cannot contact him

Does anyone have a clue about what is wrong with Kerz? To be such a champion of MozillaZine and then to just vanish without putting in place a successor, is wrong.

Nick
-N- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
SeaMonkey(32bit), Acer Spin, Windows 10 Pro (X64 v1909), WinPatrol, MalwarebytesPremium & Avira

WildcatRay

Post Posted December 18th, 2020, 3:29 pm

ndebord wrote:

Does anyone have a clue about what is wrong with Kerz? To be such a champion of MozillaZine and then to just vanish without putting in place a successor, is wrong.

Nick

Read: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3059877
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi

ndebord

Post Posted December 18th, 2020, 7:45 pm

WildcatRay wrote:
ndebord wrote:

Nick

Read: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3059877

Thanks, am aware of that thread. What I don't get is if someone says it is over for me, but refuses to give the admin password to others on that site, then either I'm missing something or it is just bad behavior.

Nick
-N- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
SeaMonkey(32bit), Acer Spin, Windows 10 Pro (X64 v1909), WinPatrol, MalwarebytesPremium & Avira

Rickkins

Post Posted December 23rd, 2020, 8:07 am

tanstaafl wrote:
We've been running on auto-pilot with no admin for over a year. Eventually either our dedicated hardware will die, we'll lose the domain name because it wasn't renewed, or things will become untenable with our hosting provider because they're tired of dealing with a obsolete configuration with no admin that we were supposed to have moved away from to a centrally OSL managed virtual machine.

We have a potential replacement for the admin. Perhaps its time to think about forking and submitting a request to OSL Labs as a new project. We'd have to get a new domain name and its probably not feasible to migrate the existing threads (since we don't have anybody with admin privileges for this web site). The current forums would still be alive, but meant to be used just for reference.

OSL Labs is well aware that Kerz (our admin) has been unreachable for over a year but they don't appear to want to get involved. So they might be receptive to a fork as the way for us to deal with the problem.

Thoughts?

For whatever my two cents might be worth, I would be fine with any plan to fork this site however that pans out, and would surely join the new site...

Return to MozillaZine Site Discussion