The code SELECT ALL doesn't work

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
ineuw

The code SELECT ALL doesn't work

Post by ineuw »

The code window's "SELECT ALL" option doesn't work. This glitch is in the Firefox browser, in both Windows and Linux versions. This makes it difficult to copy a long script.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Grumpus

Re: The code SELECT ALL doesn't work

Post by Grumpus »

Worked fine for me. Linux Mint 19.3 Mate/Firefox 90.0.2
Looks like the highlight goes to the area of the page in focus. ex: Text area this page click out side the text area and it highlights the text.
Used both menu and "CTL +a" not upper case A. If you used the upper case try lower case.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

ineuw wrote:The code window's "SELECT ALL" option doesn't work. This glitch is in the Firefox browser, in both Windows and Linux versions. This makes it difficult to copy a long script.

Exactly the same thing, happens to me, as ineuw says. #-o
    Pressing 'Select All' nothing is selected, and the text can't be copied to the clipboard.

And, I'm using SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1 on ArtixLinux:

BTW, in others phpBB forums, and using SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1 this option works perfectly:

Cheers!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Grumpus wrote:Worked fine for me. Linux Mint 19.3 Mate/Firefox 90.0.2
Looks like the highlight goes to the area of the page in focus. ex: Text area this page click out side the text area and it highlights the text.
Used both menu and "CTL +a" not upper case A. If you used the upper case try lower case.
Although I don't consider this a constructive response, I can understand that you are limited to your computer's work environment which is configured with a lot of experience on what, and what not to do. I can understand your being jaded by reading users' obstreperous comments, including my own. You possess the knowledge and experience to avoid Firefox issues that may plague others. But please be fair. I specifically mentioned of testing this several times in both Linux and Windows 10 before posting.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@ineuw - I realized my post was off topic after reading EITxolo's post so didn't figure to provide more input. #-o
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
morat

Post by morat »

Similar thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3035596

Alice0775's solution still works in Chrome and Firefox.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

morat wrote:Similar thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3035596
Alice0775's solution still works in Chrome and Firefox.
Which solution are referring in the post which branches into several others. Thanks for your efforts but, again it's unhelpful. I tested this now again, on a randomly selected post with a code box, and it doesn't work. I am using the FF 91.0.1 Linux Mint version, which may be important, since they also fiddle with FF. So, I'll switch to Windows and a generic version and test it there.

For user, it's an issue that's generating a lot of wasted time. I guess that this is our contribution to help training the new crop of young, kindergarten level Mozilla developers.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

@morat, I just checked in Windows FF 91.0.1 and in this case the SELECT ALL goes to the top of the page.

I think that users should be spared the time and effort, to repair defective forum or Firefox features.
therube

Post by therube »

Are you blocking JavaScript (NoScript or otherwise)?
Doing so will cause what you describe.
(And the solution there, is to Allow mozillazine.org [in NoScript].)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

therube wrote:Are you blocking JavaScript (NoScript or otherwise)?
Doing so will cause what you describe.
(And the solution there, is to Allow mozillazine.org [in NoScript].)
I don't use any blockers, and seeing how complex Firefox is under the hood, I posted the relevant contents of my about:support report on pastebin to show what is installed.
https://pastebin.com/UugSnPv2

Also:

[*]* First I disabled Autohotkey, even though it doesn't have any conflicting keyboard action or assignment. tested "SELECT ALL" and ended up on top of the page.
[*] Restarted in safe mode and tested "SELECT ALL" and it still ended up on top of the page.
therube

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile.
Open this post, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14846211.
SELECT ALL
Jump or not?
Skip that.
It simply doesn't work - in FF (or SeaMonkey or Chrome).
(Yet it does - in Pale Moon.)

Now isn't that strange.

(See that, a link to a code box helps ;-)

Code: Select all

testing 123
testing 123

Code: Select all

IndexSizeError: Index or size is negative or greater than the allowed amount
forum_fn.js:210
selectCode
http://forums.mozillazine.org/styles/prosilver/template/forum_fn.js:210:4
onclick
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php:1:1
(I'll bet you it stopped working at least by Aug 9 ;-) - or somewhere around FF 57.)

Odd too is that that page (if you can go by it) shows it was last modified in 2012.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I assume that this might be a problem with updating to MySQL 5.7 that has broken other features on this forum.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

It stopped working before August 11, but I use it very rarely, so I am not sure when. This time, a snippet was too long. In any case I managed to copy it using the mouse and the shift key. The source of the issue will be found and corrected as always. I just don't want to spend so much time on unexpected changes and bugs.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ineuw wrote:For user, it's an issue that's generating a lot of wasted time
ineuw wrote:I think that users should be spared the time and effort.
ineuw wrote:I just don't want to spend so much time on unexpected changes and bugs.
The workaround of just using the mouse and copying takes just seconds to do, which is how I've always done it anyway.

If you really wanted to be spared all the time and effort then you would have reported it once in your opening post and then got on with something useful, instead of going on and on and and on and on about it here for the last three weeks.

ineuw wrote:Although I don't consider this a constructive response, I can underst
ineuw wrote:Thanks for your efforts but, again it's unhelpful. I te
Seriously, chum, just get over yourself, you really aren't all that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)