Is knowledge base articles still maintained?

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
jetspeed

Is knowledge base articles still maintained?

Post by jetspeed »

Hi guys,

I want to back up my Thunderbird profile, but I notice it's quite large - the cache2 folder seems the be the culprit.

I consulted this KB article http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird which lists all the important files.

My question is whether this article is still be actively maintained and can be relied upon?

On the footer:
This page was last modified 12:28, 27 February 2018
Or can someone point me to a more recent document?
LIMPET235

Re: Is knowledge base articles still maintained?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
The KB is no longer available for any up dating at present & hasn't been for months.
Jason, the Admin, posted the following...I suggest you read it all.
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14858721
I believe the suggested article is still relevant.

We are still awaiting some one to take over the running of the forum.
You'll find that there are a few "glitches" within the site as well.
The "View your posts" does not work but there is a work around.
ref; Frank Lion's posts in this thread... > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3078542
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
jetspeed

Post by jetspeed »

Thank you. I admittedly only checked the Thunderbird sub forums. I would have expected to see a sitewide banner, but understand that it's not possible given the admin has gone awol.

It's a shame, because the KB articles are quite handy. Do you know if there are any copyright issues if the KB are migrated elsewhere?
James

Post by James »

Mozilla has their own Knowledge Base and even though Thunderbird is not really their product anymore they still provide a place for support at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird that is kept up to date compared to here.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That article is out of date. When the wiki was locked 2 years ago most KB articles had been updated to support version 60. A lot has changed since then. Our KB articles can still be useful, but in many cases you need some sense of what has changed after version 60 to know when its safe to rely upon them.

There are no copyright issues. The folks supporting Mozilla's Thunderbird knowledge base (frequently called SUMO due to SUpport MOzilla .org) ported our Thunderbird KB articles long ago and modified them to meet their guidelines. They are reasonably up-to-date but they have limited resources. They prefer short non-technical articles so some KB articles such as the one you ask about were not ported. They also require editorial approval so they always follow the "party line". Sometimes this means a change that Thunderbird inherited due to a change in Gecko to meet the Firefox developers needs is touted as a good thing even though its detrimental to most Thunderbird users.

This difference in approach is why I've been occasionally working on porting and updating some of our Thunderbird KB articles to a replacement wiki hosted by Miraheze. I don't want to unnecessarily duplicate what they have, but they're targeting ordinary users (trying to provide the equivalent of a user manual via KB articles) while we're targeting more technical users plus trying to provide technical information not readily available elsewhere that is useful for tougher problems.

Its not ready yet. I keep running into family problems that take priority. When it is ready I'll announce it. It won't effect the links to the KB in the side panel though. We don't know what we're going to do about the existing MozillaZine KB wiki, that will get driven by whatever the long term solution is to keep this web site up and running.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the detailed reply. If you do launch the new wiki, could you please post in this thread (or message me) as I do not check this forum often.

I've been using the old KB article to decide what to back up in the profile. I have had a chance to make a new Thunderbird installation and verify all the backed up files are correct. When I do, I can post an update on what files are necessary/not required.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Guest wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply. If you do launch the new wiki, could you please post in this thread (or message me) as I do not check this forum often.

I've been using the old KB article to decide what to back up in the profile. I have had a chance to make a new Thunderbird installation and verify all the backed up files are correct. When I do, I can post an update on what files are necessary/not required.
I would use what James suggested, again that is kept up to date more then the KB currently.