So what happened here? Daifne/Lucy/mconnor thread

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Is this going to turn into one of those postings that repeats itself every day, until we have over 100 pages? Same old arguments/comments from the same posters for the same old reason. Justification one way or the other.

If so, time to lock it up, and move on folks! It's getting tiresome.

I've been a member for over four years now. I've seen moderators come and go. I've seen supportive users come and go. I've seen a lot of GOOD support from a LOT of users, old and new. I've also seen support that could have been better, and some that just plain should not have been offered.

I respond to support only occasionally now, as I feel there are more capable folks than I that do a much better job. Some of whom I think 'should be moderators'.

I still think it's time to lock this and let it die a natural death in these forums. It'll only take a day or two for it to fall off the page, and quickly become something users looking for help will not see again.

Now, I'll go back out to support, and continue to lurk until I find a support topic I want to respond to, and let all you good folk hammer out this 'problem' (or not).
jimfitter
Folder@Home

Post by jimfitter »

jimfitter wrote:Agreed, and that is where I would have locked it.
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened. - Terry Pratchett
bgfunk76

Post by bgfunk76 »

I agree but, unfortunately, locking certain threads causes some people to go up in arms. That's the last thing that is needed at this point.
`(•.°)~
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

m1scha_m wrote:Lucy , JesusX, why don't you come here more often, and help the people, in fact why don't you become more of the community here, and fold?

Whoever said it was a stupid rule to stop emailing support, must be a troll, and simply out to see support being given outside of the forums.

This attitude stinks. You are not your post count in the support forums. You are not your folding rank. The world doesn't owe you anything for spending your free time on a message board. You were treated over-leniently by certain members of the moderation team who had a similar way of ranking user contributions, you got uppity as a result, and now you're just a nuisance. You must have accused people of being trolls more often than the rest of the forum combined.

The value of individual contributors to the support community has vastly decreased over time. When first the forums were set up you'd be lucky if a single person (who was likely already active in the broader community) could answer support questions. Community knowledge is widely enough available now that I very much doubt that any one person would seriously cause a dent in the community by his or her absence. This is why I left. This is a mature enough community now that it simply doesn't need the old guard at all. This should be a hint to the instigators of this latest flare-up that they could be doing something better with their free time than being the target of long-overdue blog flames.

- Chris
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

I'll be discussing this with the mods, for now I'm going to lock this here, and say I'm sorry this happened.