cannot reply in talkback

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
drnoble

cannot reply in talkback

Post by drnoble »

I have just been trying to post a reply to the "What do you think of the proposals outlined in the new Mozilla Development Roadmap?" [http://mozillazine.org/poll_results.html?id=3044&message=12&state=reply]

It will not let me post, even if i put in my correct username password, it tells me that "No member with that login/password exists" well i do exist (i hope) as i am posting this message

is there somewhere else i need to register? are other people having the same problem?
seb

Post by seb »

MZ Talkback and this board use a different system. Being registered in one doesn't register you in the other.
drnoble

Post by drnoble »

Thanks, registered for that section and can now post.

Mozillazine admin:
PLEASE make this a bit clearer, all it says is you must be a mozillazine member, as i have been posting on the boards for a bit now i thought that was what i was...

Also, why isn't there a reply link at the bottom of the thread where you would expect one (and there is on most other boards) ???

Not meaning to be negative here, but these two would help other new (and not so new?) users :)
seb

Post by seb »

drnoble wrote:Also, why isn't there a reply link at the bottom of the thread where you would expect one (and there is on most other boards) ???
Because MZ talkback isn't a board (in the Bulletin Board meaning), it's a forum (in the threaded usenet-like meaning).
Since it's threaded, a reply button wouldn't answer to someone in particular, but create a new thread. It's OK to answer directly to the news, but not to answer to someone else.
drnoble

Post by drnoble »

seb wrote:
drnoble wrote:Also, why isn't there a reply link at the bottom of the thread where you would expect one (and there is on most other boards) ???
Because MZ talkback isn't a board (in the Bulletin Board meaning), it's a forum (in the threaded usenet-like meaning).
Since it's threaded, a reply button wouldn't answer to someone in particular, but create a new thread. It's OK to answer directly to the news, but not to answer to someone else.

Sorry, perhaps that should have been in a completely different post, I was in fact meaning these message boards, which have a "Post New Topic :: Post Reply" at the top of each thread, what i was suggesting was to have a "Post Reply" at the bottom as well (IMO it would be more logical there)
seb

Post by seb »

Well, what exactly is the "Post reply" button in the bottom left of the screen, do you think?
drnoble

Post by drnoble »

Sorry - I am blind :) - never saw that before
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

drnoble wrote:Mozillazine admin:
PLEASE make this a bit clearer, all it says is you must be a mozillazine member, as i have been posting on the boards for a bit now i thought that was what i was...

Done.
Alex