Excessive topic locking?

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Balboa

Excessive topic locking?

Post by Balboa »

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion! I'm not trying to start an argument, just a discussion!
Quick summary: I think merging different topics into one thread is a bad idea, IMHO

This thread
http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9586

is arguably on a different tangent to
http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9133

I'm not suggesting it's an amazing, informative thread (sorry velcrospud - it did amuse me though!), but aside from both threads being centered around the name issue, it's not the same topic, and that's the only way of filtering/ordering the posts here, afaik.

Why am I bothering to point this out? Because the second thread is 30+ pages long. I'm not going to read it, and I suspect other people won't either. I understand and agree that when the numerous, duplicated name-suggestion threads first appeared, merging them into one was a good thing.

I challenge the moderators to at least discuss this, although I suspect I'm just gonna get a terse, dismissive reply.
Thanks for reading!
amr

Re: Excessive topic locking?

Post by amr »

Balboa wrote:I challenge the moderators to at least discuss this, although I suspect I'm just gonna get a terse, dismissive reply.

Well, that's no way to butter your bread. ;)
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

I think this discussion should be moved to the Firebird name thread...
tve

Post by tve »

I dont like to see the Firebird forums flooded with "NEW ANME FIREBIRD!?!" and "HOW ABOUT PHIREZILLA!!1" topics, so I'm more than fine with this "excessive topic locking".. even better would be if they'd just move all such topics into Locked Posts. if some people dont understand the rules by now, their fault.
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Balboa

Post by Balboa »

tve wrote:I dont like to see the Firebird forums flooded with "NEW ANME FIREBIRD!?!" and "HOW ABOUT PHIREZILLA!!1" topics, so I'm more than fine with this "excessive topic locking".. even better would be if they'd just move all such topics into Locked Posts. if some people dont understand the rules by now, their fault.

Yup, I agree, but that's not what I'm really objecting to; it's the seemingly trigger-happy responses to (IMHO) perfectly valid threads...
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

Balboa wrote:Yup, I agree, but that's not what I'm really objecting to; it's the seemingly trigger-happy responses to (IMHO) perfectly valid threads...

These "trigger happy" admins are doing this because their trying to nip the current situation in the bud, moreso than anything else. Obviously that topic could fall into the scope of the new name thread, even if you think it shouldn't have to be.

The issue is, do you want 10 open threads about roughly the samething, or do you want to remove the clutter in the forums due to a hot topic. The same sort of thing happened when the new name thread got out of control, my assumption is they don't want another situation like that to occur.
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

I'm of the opinion that the topic is the same. We're trying to keep the forum on track and on topic. Countless threads about names doesn't help anyone use the browser. Hopefully that was terse enough for you ;).

jason
Balboa

Post by Balboa »

Yup, thanks. ;)

The topics aren't the same, but the overall subject is - I wasn't expecting anyone to actually understand what I'm getting at. I think the stand you've taken hurts free conversation, and reduces the effectiveness of the topic concept, but it's your forum, so fair enough.

ps I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm fine with what you've said! I just disagree :)
MoNkaholic

Post by MoNkaholic »

Balboa wrote:I think the stand you've taken hurts free conversation, and reduces the effectiveness of the topic concept, but it's your forum, so fair enough.

I wonder, how does forcing users to talk in one thread about the same overall subject hurt free conversation? If the guy posted that to the egregiously long name thread, what problem with free speech occurs?
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

Perfectly fine with "excessive topic locking", it needs to be done.

How about "excessive topic moving". Firebird General seems to be flooding.. but then it may be due to a windows nightly after 10 days...
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
old Harry Waldron

Post by old Harry Waldron »

CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK TO MODERATORS & ADMINS
====================================

I think if the original thread had been named ... "Phoenix Firebird - Post all comments on the change here" this may have stopped some of the tangential threads from forming. The current title "Name change, you heard it first here" is more of an announcement and may not be the best choice to direct everyone to post there (just based on the post title). Users may skip reading a lot of posts, so this may be why numerous threads that needed to be locked and redirected surfaced, even though the original message inside the post was very clear.

Still, our admins did an excellent job on redirecting folks on the straight and narrow. Everyone soon learned.

I'm just sharing kind constructive feedback for our admins/moderators to include the phrase "Post all comments here" in the TITLE when consolidated feedback is desired. I use this technique in forums I help moderate in ... ;-)

P.S. Wishing you all the best on the name change. No issues or complaints from me ... :-)
djst

Post by djst »

harrywaldron wrote:CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK TO MODERATORS & ADMINS
====================================

I think if the original thread had been named ... "Phoenix Firebird - Post all comments on the change here" this may have stopped some of the tangential threads from forming. The current title "Name change, you heard it first here" is more of an announcement and may not be the best choice to direct everyone to post there (just based on the post title). Users may skip reading a lot of posts, so this may be why numerous threads that needed to be locked and redirected surfaced, even though the original message inside the post was very clear.

Still, our admins did an excellent job on redirecting folks on the straight and narrow. Everyone soon learned.

I'm just sharing kind constructive feedback for our admins/moderators to include the phrase "Post all comments here" in the TITLE when consolidated feedback is desired. I use this technique in forums I help moderate in ... ;-)

P.S. Wishing you all the best on the name change. No issues or complaints from me ... :-)

Thanks for the feedback. I changed the title of the announcement.
old Harry Waldron

Post by old Harry Waldron »

Knowing how people are, it won't be 100% - LOL ...

Still, the relabeling might reduce some of the individual threads being spawned.

Again, good luck on this issue.