Do Firefox extensions work in Camino?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

Mon Calamari, Camino, this is getting more and more like star wars :D :lol:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008061622 Camino/2.0a1pre (like Firefox/3.0pre)
user04

Post by user04 »

valkraider: Flashblock *works* in Camino. The instructions on how to install have been posted twice already (use search).
valkraider

Post by valkraider »

I didn't know about Flashblock until today, came across it in a post on MacSlash... Will do the search...

Edit:

Oh come on, how many hacks do I need to do and hoops to jump through to get something to work? I still contend that Flashblock does not *work* if you have to install another browser then install Flashblock into it then hack the files into Camino.

This is a Macintosh we are talking about. If I wanted to do all that I would run Linux.

If it is indeed possible though, then it should be an option in the preferences - just like "Block popups". An option something like "Do not run Flash animations automatically" [checkbox]
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

valkraider wrote:If it is indeed possible though, then it should be an option in the preferences - just like "Block popups". An option something like "Do not run Flash animations automatically" [checkbox]

And there is a bug requesting supporting the extensions that work without major architectural changes, so if you are patient you will probably get you wish.
glawrie

Post by glawrie »

valkraider wrote:Except for one thing. Adblock. Adblock. Adblock. We desperately need ad blocking functionality in Camino.

Presumably ADBLOCK is one of the Firefox extensions that could make it into Camino - as it (if I understand it rightly) simply removes the ads from the HTML being rendered in the browser: if the earlier comments in the thread are right, my guess is that adblock doesn't need to work directly with XUL or Aqua to work.

Fingers crossed that something can be done - as Macs get faster the utility of a 'lean and mean' OS X browser will be lost in the surfeit of CPU cycles: the trade off between speed and functionality will still be there, but represent fractional improvements in apparent response time. Adblock is the only reason my preferred browser is FireFox currently - without it (or something like it) I fear Camino becoming even more of a minority sport.
Gavin Lawrie
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Adblock functionality (though it isn't explicitly named "Adblock") is already part of Camino Extra Prefs.

Adblock doesn't really do anything except use a user-content.css file to hide the ads. This functionality has been available in Camino for quite some time now, and the first mention I saw of it was on Slashdot in the comments for Pinkerton's interview back in September. CEP just automates the process.

cl
glawrie

Post by glawrie »

cflawson wrote:Adblock functionality (though it isn't explicitly named "Adblock") is already part of Camino Extra Prefs. ... This functionality has been available in Camino for quite some time now

Any chance you could share the details of how to enable this? Or perhaps provide a URL to somewhere that does?
Gavin Lawrie
eccoana

Post by eccoana »

cflawson wrote:Adblock functionality (though it isn't explicitly named "Adblock") is already part of Camino Extra Prefs.
Adblock doesn't really do anything except use a user-content.css file to hide the ads. This functionality has been available in Camino for quite some time now

the adblock functionality in <a href="http://www.nada.de/mac/camino/cep.html">Camino ExtraPrefs (CEP)</a> is quite the same as the original AdBlock for Firefox.
it consits of two parts:
1) css-based rules to *hide* html objects from displaying (user-content.css)
2) complete blocking of hosts (hostperm.1)

the advantage of 1) is that you can define rules as:
don't display images which have 'lalelu' in their path or don't display images which are 100 px high and 200 px wide
with 2) you can define that Camino should never *download* any contents of server abc.qqqwer.xy

ciao
ecco
glawrie

Post by glawrie »

eccoana wrote:the adblock functionality in <a href="http://www.nada.de/mac/camino/cep.html">Camino ExtraPrefs (CEP)</a> is quite the same as the original AdBlock for Firefox.

I'd not come across CEP before - thanks for the link. What a really useful extension :D

Do you know if there is any way to import Adblock lists into CEP?
Gavin Lawrie
Thetan1

Post by Thetan1 »

I hadn't come across CEP either. Thanks. I put in a bug at Bugzilla that might help some others find this and other things that are being tried with FireFox extentions. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=282944
Yemeth

Post by Yemeth »

Maybe a "Sticky"-topic here would help even more users... I also found CEP by accident...
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

Thetan1 wrote:I put in a bug at Bugzilla that might help some others find this and other things that are being tried with FireFox extentions.

CEP has nothing to do with Firefox extensions; it's just UI for features that Camino's backend already supports but the Camino developers have either chosen not to include UI for or haven't yet implemented UI fo.

There's already a bug covering the request to support those extensions that are possible to support, and this sticky explaining why the rest won't be supported.
vprice509

The best thing about Firefox...

Post by vprice509 »

...is that it gives our friends and loved ones still in the Windows ghetto a decent choice! I dig the 'fox as well. I use it mainly. I am never satisfied (maybe I'm just like my mother) and am ALWAYS in search of the better way to go. That's why I switched to Mac, after all. I still love Darth
Gates because I live in Washington State. Local boy does good. More revenue for the state. Not to mention lots of jobs in IT all over, as Windows is such a mess that it takes more people to maintain the networks than it really should.

Excuse me for getting WAY off topic. Here is a question: other than the look, is there any advantage that Camino has over Firefox? Because it is in Cocoa and native to OS X, does this add functionality or security? Or use less system resources?
Never eat anything bigger than your head.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Re: The best thing about Firefox...

Post by Uncle Asad »

vprice509 wrote:Excuse me for getting WAY off topic. Here is a question: other than the look, is there any advantage that Camino has over Firefox? Because it is in Cocoa and native to OS X, does this add functionality or security? Or use less system resources?

Someone can give a better answer than me, but part of it comes down to better integration with the OS. Support for Services, for instance, and the Keychain. Native widgets. More sheets where appropriate/better compliance with AHIG.

Spell-checking in the location bar :D And pinkerton and smfr and josh and jasper/japser and the rest of the crew :D

Er...seriously again.... That's not to say that these things aren't possible in Fx (at least most of them are, from what I understand), but it's easier to implement them in Camino, and Mac-specific things get more attention because, well, Camino's Mac-specific.

And in personal opinion and anecdotally.... Things just work in Camino :-) (I have awful problems with keystrokes failing to respond in Fx, among other nightmares.) Cm also feels both faster and more responsive, though I admit I haven't tried a recent Fx nightly. Fx feels like a very good Windows browser, but only a decent Mac browser IMO :-)
jrbq

Post by jrbq »

I wish that the Mac support for Firefox was better. In an attempt to do a clean install of Firefox 1.02, I was looking for instructions on how to uninstall FF. I've been looking for 15 minutes now, and the Windows instructions are there, but not Mac.

In general, the documentation for FF sucks, and I'm a big FF supporter. It feels weird to have abstruse documentation, and a blurb that you can get your questions answered for $5.