Stupid Question About the Name

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

cforte

Stupid Question About the Name

Post by cforte »

This is probably a question that has been answered a hundred times already, but I cannot find it anywhere.

What does "Camino" mean? Is it Latin? Why was that word used for the name after Chimera was dumped for copyright reasons?
I think, therefore iMac
jbzoller

Post by jbzoller »

Camino is spanish, as in "el Camino." It means "way" or "path" and is an extension to the original idea of "Navigator" from which this project sprang. It certainly makes more sense than Chimera did, but I wish we'd have been able to just stick with plain old Navigator.
Listen to these cool songs by Maren Ord!
Life is a Train
Not Today
rizkahz

Post by rizkahz »

Yep, I loved the Navigator... but it's a shame Netscape dropped this fantastic browser (what were they thinking?)...
japser
Camino Developer

Post by japser »

As of now I'm the moderator of the Camino forum and there for I'm now going to make this a sticky :) I feel so powerfull, yeeha.
—:0-0:— jasperhauser.nl

<a href="http://www.jasperhauser.nl/weblog/">japser's blog</a>
<a href="http://www.jasperhauser.nl/icon/">Jasper Hauser icon design</a>
anjy

Post by anjy »

Oh, man, Netscape Navigator brings back memories!!! I'd be pretty cool to have a new version, even if just for the sake of the name and having the animation... Aaaaah.....
kome

in italian...

Post by kome »

in italian "camino" means Fireplace.
that is funny... -_-
rizkahz

Post by rizkahz »

anjy wrote:Oh, man, Netscape Navigator brings back memories!!! I'd be pretty cool to have a new version, even if just for the sake of the name and having the animation... Aaaaah.....

Well, now there are signs for a new Netscape Navigator based on Firefox... They really should have gone with what is now Camino....
mattw

Post by mattw »

rizkahz wrote:Well, now there are signs for a new Netscape Navigator based on Firefox... They really should have gone with what is now Camino....

Wouldn't have been so good on Windows though...
KennyM

Post by KennyM »

Well that'd be too bad for the Windows users out there, but that'd still be neat to see a new Navigator come out.... oh the possibilities :-).
My friend's brain went to mush after he turned on his PC... he hasn't been the same since.
Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

I don't suppose we'll see clones made on Camino eh?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008061622 Camino/2.0a1pre (like Firefox/3.0pre)
mattw

Post by mattw »

Well if anyone's seen the information about the new Netscape Browser, I really don't think a version based on Camino would do us any good at all.
Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

i was thinking more towards these kinds of clones from that place beyond the Outer Rim just south of the rishi maze ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008061622 Camino/2.0a1pre (like Firefox/3.0pre)
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

You know, interestingly enough, that second link doesn't display legibly in Camino *at all*. I suspect it's a problem with a repeat: property in the CSS.

BTW, I also love the Navigator name. "Camino" isn't bad either, and neither was "Chimera." Just as long as it doesn't get re-named to something awful like "iAquaGeckoBrowser."

cl
Wevah

Post by Wevah »

Looks fine in Camino to me...
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Yeah, it works in Camino now too. Might have been a bug in the nightly I was using at the time, or maybe someone fixed the site.

cl