Upcoming Features and Fixes

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

Awesome! Man, I've been holding off and upgrading to new nightlies cuz of the scrolling problem, but I might have to now... haha
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

Eh sorry to ask this, as Camino is not a date-driven program, but any idea when it will be making the switch to Quartz? 0.9 or 1.0?

I only ask because I just saw a link on Jon Hicks' site for an article that interviews Firefox's Ben Goodger, in which he says that Firefox 1.1 will be making the switch to Quartz from Quickdraw.
japser
Camino Developer

Post by japser »

I have very little info but I know that Mike and Josh have been talking about the Quartz swicth with the Mozilla organistaion as it would make sure that FF and Camino would theoretically rip apart Safari :) So it could very well be so that Mozilla is putting some of their fulltime coders on doing the swicth. If that where true it could mean Camino 0.9 would contain that swicth but I doubt they can do it in less then 6 months.
—:0-0:— jasperhauser.nl

<a href="http://www.jasperhauser.nl/weblog/">japser's blog</a>
<a href="http://www.jasperhauser.nl/icon/">Jasper Hauser icon design</a>
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

lol rip apart safari, very nice :P

I look forward to the switch, thanks for the info!
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

I love the way that all the "news media" were tossing the QD->Quartz about, as if it were fairly easy and would come quickly--perhaps for Firefox 1.1 (only three months away, less if you subtract the holidays) :-) The eWeek article Hicks links to is one of the poorer articles I've seen on Firefox ("cross-platform from the beginning," hah!), although it's the only article that's been Mac-focused. (Alas, poor, poor MacWeek....)

It'll be fantastic if some of the Foundation folks will be coding on it, though, because I imagine QD->Qz is nothing less than a Herculean task!

OK, enough on the fox. Now back to the road to a better Cocoa browser :-)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
Catfish_Man

Post by Catfish_Man »

It's definitely time to switch over, since QuickDraw will be deprecated in 10.4 (not that it's going away, but it'll definitely not be being updated to get any of the snazzy new stuff like resolution independence or improved hardware acceleration). A huge task indeed, but it should be worth it, especially on 10.4.
monkeybrain

Post by monkeybrain »

What kind of improvements would the move to Quartz give for the end-user?
kome

Post by kome »

monkeybrain wrote:What kind of improvements would the move to Quartz give for the end-user?
speed. i hope. -_-
KennyM

Post by KennyM »

speed... only if my poor iMac could switch out its graphics card :'(... oh well... what about browser identificiation? I haven't been able to find a way to switch IDs in Camino, probably because there's not a way to... hmmm.. ran into a brick wall repeatedly, interesting.
My friend's brain went to mush after he turned on his PC... he hasn't been the same since.
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

KennyM wrote:... what about browser identificiation? I haven't been able to find a way to switch IDs in Camino, probably because there's not a way to... hmmm.. ran into a brick wall repeatedly, interesting.

Try using Camino ExtraPrefs: http://www.nada.de/mac/camino/cep.html
It has an agent spoofing option
KennyM

Post by KennyM »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! YOU ARE A GOD SEND!!!
My friend's brain went to mush after he turned on his PC... he hasn't been the same since.
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

hehe, thank eccoana, he's the great guy who made the program :]
KennyM

Post by KennyM »

You both are a god send! Works great, but is a little cumbersome to me, then again I am a little weird :-D. Would like to see it as an actual part of Camino and not just an extra little prefpane. Anywho thanks to you both.
japser
Camino Developer

Post by japser »

Comming soon in a build near you :)

- "Open in Tabs" in all bookmark menu and toolbar folders
- Inteligent mailto: context menu itmes. Adding "Copy email address", "Add to addressbook" and "Show in Addressbook"
- vastly improved performance of plugin content and general performance aswell.
- Input fields for Chines and Japanese users will get improved.
- allow adding separators in other folders outside of bookmark menu folder.

Nice set of features I think.
—:0-0:— jasperhauser.nl

<a href="http://www.jasperhauser.nl/weblog/">japser's blog</a>
<a href="http://www.jasperhauser.nl/icon/">Jasper Hauser icon design</a>
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

Mmm sounds sexy