Camino Builds w/Custom BM Bar [PPC7450, 1.8 Branch, 10.4+]

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

eccoana

Post by eccoana »

valkraider wrote:All in all, I am not a processor engineer, I just play one on Mozillazine!

you made my day! :-)
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

I've posted detailed -- and consolidated -- instructions for building Camino, in case anyone else wants to try it, here:

http://chrislawson.net/buildcamino.shtml

A big thank-you to powerbook for corraling all the various resources and for his Building Firefox RTF file, on which my document is (loosely) based.
Catfish_Man

Post by Catfish_Man »

cflawson: should I ever get to the point where I have time to contribute to Camino, that'll come in very handy. Thanks.

/me bookmarks
softkid

Post by softkid »

cflawson wrote:I've posted detailed -- and consolidated -- instructions for building Camino, in case anyone else wants to try it, here:

A big thank-you to powerbook for corraling all the various resources and for his Building Firefox RTF file, on which my document is (loosely) based.

Have you tried the strip-dead-code option in Xcode 1.5, do they reduce the size of the binaries ?
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Softkid: No, I haven't yet -- didn't even know about it -- but I'll look into it next time I build. I'm probably going to just build once a week, since it takes a Really Long Time(tm) ;) Meanwhile, anyone else can feel free to try it.

FWIW, a build from CVS at 0215 EST this morning, using Powerbook's config file, resulted in a binary of 21.5 MB.

cl
nufferkay

Post by nufferkay »

cflawson wrote:I've posted detailed -- and consolidated -- instructions for building Camino, in case anyone else wants to try it, here:

Sweeet. Do you mind if we borrow a bit from this for the Camino Documentation Project?
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Feel free. I borrowed most of it from elsewhere... Open Source Documentation ;)

I'm working on a G3-optimised build at the moment. Just trying to figure out the best GCC optimisation flags for the PPC 750...
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

OK, I give...how do I enable Dead Code Stripping from the command line? I've read all the docs I can find on Apple's Developer site, and I'm not seeing anything about how I can pass the <code>-dead_strip</code> option to the linker without doing every bit of compilation manually.

Anyone else? :)

cl
valkraider

Post by valkraider »

cflawson wrote:I'm working on a G3-optimised build at the moment. Just trying to figure out the best GCC optimisation flags for the PPC 750...

-hurry_up_and_pedal_faster -no_really -seriously

:)

davedit wrote:Ya I was thinking that as well... that the difference would be bigger on slower machines. I can't tell much of a difference on my 1.5ghz Powerbook, but herbs can't tell much of a difference, other than the Cache, on his 550mhz Powerbook either. So... *shrugs*

Here is where I depend heavily on the placebo effect. grin...
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

valkraider wrote:Here is where I depend heavily on the placebo effect. grin...

Hahaha, yup yup...

12/30 is up
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

Forgot to mention I got the G3 version built.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1107954

In case anyone in this thread has interest, please take discussion of the G3 version over there. :)

cl
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

I don't run my G3 anymore, but nice job :)
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

I know it's a little late, but 12/31 is up now

Happy New Year all
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

1/1
cflawson

Post by cflawson »

I've been messing with those four speed test sites powerbook posted, and I noticed something interesting on the Javascript test page (his second link).

The background (non-Camino) CPU usage has a HUGE effect on how well the test runs. I ran it for kicks with a PPC7450-optimised version that I had compiled a couple days ago, and the average was a bit over 6000 ms. (I was also building Camino in the background at the time.)

I ran it on tonight's nightly official build WITHOUT the CPU being hammered by the compiler, and the average was cut in half. I tried the 7450-optimised version that I just compiled, and it was faster on some, and slower on others...

Conclusion: Make sure CPU usage has stabilised before trying to run these tests, or else you're going to get utterly useless results. I plan on doing some more testing tomorrow, and I'll post the results either here or on my site when I'm done.

cl