Long term future of Camino?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

*MacMom*

Re: Long term future of Camino?

Post by *MacMom* »

dirkbill wrote:So is this why I am constantly getting the error message "You have an unsupported browser" these days? I ignore it but it has suddenly become very prevalent.

Getting that message when I went to a site today, along with noticing more frequent crashes than I remember in the past, brought me back to this forum after a long absence to check out what's going on.

(I'm sorry, I'm guilty of not sending the crash reports in recent weeks, just cause I am so busy. I will try to be more diligent about sending them!)

I love Camino and hope those of you on the development team can find a way to keep it going. I appreciate all the work you have done up till now to provide us with this great browser. I so enjoy using Camino and would be very sad if it went away.
dmnelson

Post by dmnelson »

In my humble opinion there would be nothing wrong with switching over to WebKit if the developers feel like taking on that task. In my experience both Gecko and WebKit work well with the vast majority of sites out there, so I don't feel like either engine has a lot to offer that the other lacks. Plus with WebKit being maintained by Apple and geared toward embedding, it might reduce the amount of work the developers have to do just to keep things afloat, and give them more time to work on new features (or go outside and enjoy the sunshine. :))
HenriHudson

Post by HenriHudson »

I am adding my voice to the "we want Camino" chorus. Actually, I do not just want Camino, i desperately need it.

Camino is the only browser i know (Mac or otherwise) which allows me, thanks to Lisa Thompsons's "Multi-Site search" applescript http://homepage.mac.com/lthompson.22/applescript/forcamino.html, to create a series of preprogrammed search boxes, so that i just have to enter a search term once, open the search "engines" list, check the ones i want to use, and voila! have all those pages open and look for the term in the background.

I use this at least 50 times a day whether for work (i am a translator) or leisure (imdb, bookfinder, google maps, Google news, etc.), it saves me a whole lot of time, and losing it would be a terrible backwards move for me.

Please go on developing Camino. If, considering the time or work force this might require, it means it has to go shareware, so be it. Even though my job pays peanuts, I would be more than happy to spend some euros to keep this very precious set of tools.

Cheers,

FMN
dmnelson

Post by dmnelson »

HenriHudson wrote:Please go on developing Camino. If, considering the time or work force this might require, it means it has to go shareware, so be it. Even though my job pays peanuts, I would be more than happy to spend some euros to keep this very precious set of tools.

Not a bad idea. The FTP client Cyberduck has done something similar -- you can download free on their website, with donation suggested. On the Mac App Store there is a fee to download. I would personally pay up to about $20 on the App Store if the Camino developers wanted to charge for a "donation."
rpaloalto

Post by rpaloalto »

All I can say is that I'm very saddened at the thought of camino no longer existing. I would like to send out a big thank you to the developers who made camino what it is today. That is a super lightweight, non resource hogging, mac only browser. Camino kicks but on the older macs in my collection. It is also the only browser I use on my dell mini hackintosh. In fact I depend on it for these older macs as a up to date browser.

Anyway I hope the camino team of volunteer developers, decide to continue the life of this little gem.
Hmpffff

Post by Hmpffff »

Hi! I'm a long term user of Camino (since 2002) and have "converted" my girlfriend and her sister from Firefox/Safari to Camino (they love Camino too). From time to time, I'm testing other Browsers, but none of them convinced me.

I'm (we are) also very interested in Camino in the future. From time to time, I donate. I would like to flattr the Project (per Subscription). I would NOT (never) buy Camino from the App Store. The App Store is crap (IMHO). But I would pay for Camino if needed.

Thank you for your work. :-)
eMate

Post by eMate »

6 months later, could we know what is on the way : are there enough volunteers to make a transition to webkit ?
If.. then, is there a roadmap ?
Thanks ;)
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

eMate wrote:6 months later, could we know what is on the way : are there enough volunteers to make a transition to webkit ?
If.. then, is there a roadmap ?
Thanks ;)

Until now, no progress at all has been made. The developers are still focusing on 2.1, and no one from outside the usual circle has stepped up and started on anything.
JB

Post by JB »

I have taken hope from the recent flurry of development activity. [-o<
There have been daily builds and the browser is running very smoothly. =D>
Why would the "core" developers put so much effort into such a project ? :-k
That would be akin to building a "bridge to nowhere." #-o
Camino Lives!
Yes Indeed!
gapito

Post by gapito »

:( i didn't know about this situation... I'm a Camino user since 2007, and from time to time I have been testing other browsers, but I always return back. These days, I've been trying for a short while Google Chrome... I thought it was faster and lighter than Camino but, guys, I'm back to Camino, as always. Chrome's weight is enormous...

It's true that I miss some things in Camino like extensions or similar, but I don't mind...

I hope this is not the end, and we have Camino for a long time.
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

JB wrote:I have taken hope from the recent flurry of development activity. [-o<

Unfortunately, there has been no flurry of developer activity. There were a lot of outsiders that stepped up, but as I mentioned, none of them have actually done any work.
There have been daily builds and the browser is running very smoothly. =D>

Yes, but there are almost no changes between builds. The daily builds are an automated process that doesn't care if nothing has been added.
Why would the "core" developers put so much effort into such a project ? :-k

Because 2.1 is nearly ready, and they've worked on it for more than a year. Why scrape it? It is much better than 2.0.
That would be akin to building a "bridge to nowhere." #-o

Not really. It would bridge the gap between 2.0 and now. Loads of security fixes have been added since then, and some nice features.
JB

Post by JB »

David;
Can you envision a scenario where Camino would continue to be developed as a viable browser?
What would be the sequence of events?
Actually..... anyone could respond to this... perhaps some practical plan of action could emerge.....
Camino Lives!
Yes Indeed!
David Munch

Post by David Munch »

JB wrote:David;
Can you envision a scenario where Camino would continue to be developed as a viable browser?
What would be the sequence of events?
Actually..... anyone could respond to this... perhaps some practical plan of action could emerge.....

Release 2.1, shove WebKit into Camino, release 3.0.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Step 2 in that post is going to require a lot more developer resources and time than we currently have. That's why we need volunteers to help out.

cl
JB

Post by JB »

Can you list the qualifications for volunteers?
Are there things that can be done by non-programers?
Camino Lives!
Yes Indeed!