"Illegal Seek" - installing Camino (Mac OS 10.6.2)

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Nda

"Illegal Seek" - installing Camino (Mac OS 10.6.2)

Post by Nda »

I have just downloaded Camino-2.0.9 off the caminobrowser.org website for my iMac.

After the download, attempting to run the .dmg file yielded the following response: "illegal seek."

What's the problem here, and how do I remedy it? I would particularly like to remedy it (if possible) without having to re-download the .dmg file again. I'm on a low Internet surfing budget!
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Re: "Illegal Seek" - installing Camino (Mac OS 10.6.2)

Post by cflawson »

Why are you still using 10.6.2?

Try downloading the DMG again; it probably got corrupted somehow during the download.

cl
Nda

Post by Nda »

cflawson wrote:Why are you still using 10.6.2?

Try downloading the DMG again; it probably got corrupted somehow during the download.

cl
@ CL:

Thanks for your response... You question about 10.6.2 made me laugh. I guess I am bound to be ancient for a while. It costs me an arm and a leg to be online. I am in South Africa, where one would think the new dispensation since Mandela's presidency would have long ushered in a fairness of sorts in charges for accessing the Internet. So, for as long as this iMac is working all right, I have no reason to incur unheard of charges for upgrading to OS Lion. My wife mainly uses a Macbook and has the same predicament.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Nda wrote:So, for as long as this iMac is working all right, I have no reason to incur unheard of charges for upgrading to OS Lion.

cflawson was suggesting you update 10.6.2 to 10.6.8 so that you pick up 1+ years worth of bug and security fixes in the OS, not move all the way to 10.7.

Of course, it looks like the 10.6.8 combo update is still 1.09 GB, and the latest security update on top of that, Security Update 2011-006, is 136 MB, so it's probably going to be a pretty massive charge for even just that :(
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
Nda

Post by Nda »

Uncle Asad wrote:Of course, it looks like the 10.6.8 combo update is still 1.09 GB, and the latest security update on top of that, Security Update 2011-006, is 136 MB, so it's probably going to be a pretty massive charge for even just that :(

:? If anyone understands how some animals are more equal than others, it is I. Fortunately, I am not politically inclined, else I'd spend the rest of my life fighting for fair access to the Internet... I still get by.

In South African Rand, a mere 1GB costs me R279 on my current Internet service provider's services. I get charged for the quantity of bytes that I download while surfing the net.
cleanhead

Post by cleanhead »

Nda wrote:In South African Rand, a mere 1GB costs me R279 on my current Internet service provider's services.

That's about $35 U.S. And I thought my ISP was greedy!
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Might I suggest, if you're in a major city, that you find a WiFi hotspot and "borrow" their connection for a while?

http://freewifiwiki.net/index.php?title=South_Africa has some ideas, though I haven't a clue how reliable that site might be. Even spending $20-30 for a full meal would beat spending $35/GB for bandwidth at home.

cl
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

And, back to your original problem: that error message sounds scary, but this thread at Apple suggests the .dmg is corrupted. If the .dmg is corrupted, there's nothing you can do but download again. However, if it happens to just be incompletely downloaded, you can try to use curl to finish the download.

First: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/c ... es/MD5SUMS lists the MD5 checksum for all the Camino disk images. To see if the MD5 sum matches, open Terminal.app, type

Code: Select all

md5 
(that's md5 + a space) and then drag the Camino 2.0.9 dmg onto the Terminal window and press return. Compare the result with the one from the MD5SUMS file.

(Note that both the en-only and Multilang version, when downloaded from caminobrowser.org, are called "Camino-2.0.9.dmg" due to the way the Mozilla mirror system works, but the MD5SUMS file uses the original names to help differentiate.)

If the sums match, there's likely some sort of OS problem preventing the .dmg from mounting properly :(

If the sums don't match, either the .dmg is corrupted or incomplete. To see if it's incomplete, in Terminal, type

ls -al 
(again, trailing space) and drag the .dmg file into the window and press return. The column of numbers is the size in bytes. Here are the sizes for 2.0.9 en and 2.0.9 Multilingual:

smokey% ls -l /Applications/Internet/oldCaminos/Camino-2.0.9*.dmg
-rw-r--r--@ 1 smokey  smokey  22649561 Sep 14 14:53 /Applications/Internet/oldCaminos/Camino-2.0.9-MultiLang.dmg
-rw-r--r--@ 1 smokey  smokey  16588869 Sep 12 22:32 /Applications/Internet/oldCaminos/Camino-2.0.9.dmg

Again, note that both the en-only and Multilang version, when downloaded from caminobrowser.org, are called "Camino-2.0.9.dmg" due to the way the Mozilla mirror system works, but I've used the original names here to help differentiate.

If the size of your .dmg is smaller than the size quoted above, it's likely that the download was truncated. You can try to complete the download using the following steps:
1. In Terminal, type

cd 
(again, trailing space) and drag the Camino .dmg to the window, and then delete the "Camino.dmg" part before pressing return, e.g.

cd /Users/username/Downloads/

2. In Terminal, type

curl -C - -O "http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/camino/releases/Camino-2.0.9.dmg"
and hit return (or

curl -C - -O "http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/camino/releases/all/Camino-2.0.9.dmg"
if you downloaded the Multilingual version)

When the connection closes, repeat the size comparison until they match, then try to mount the .dmg again.

If it still doesn't mount, I'm really not sure what is wrong :(
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino