Chimera 0.6... can't launch video clips

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

chtalbert

Chimera 0.6... can't launch video clips

Post by chtalbert »

I am a new Mac user (sorry it took so long to switch). Also, I am a new Chimera user. It looks like a rockin' fast browser. I am running a flat panel iMac with 768MB RAM, OSX.2.1, and Chimera 0.6.

I can not watch video clips. I click on the link from a web page and nothing happens. Sometimes, a blank new window (small) opens up with nothing on it.

How do I tell Chimera how to launch video clips? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
bipto

Post by bipto »

Are you trying to watch QuickTime, Real, or Windows Media? Of the three, the only one that works for me is QT (though streaming QT seems to have some issues). Real looks like it's gonna work, but the video never starts. I don't recall ever trying Windows Media...

Whenever I need to watch Real, I open IE. I'm not happy about it, but waddyagonnado? :)
chtalbert

Not sure

Post by chtalbert »

To be honest...I'm not sure which formats I am having the most trouble with. In IE, if you click on a link to a video clip...it just opens it and plays. I have been getting a dialog box asking me where I want to save the video. I just want it to play...not save. Does that make sense?
bipto

Post by bipto »

Can you point me in the direction of the page you're seeing this on?
mattocm

Here's a site

Post by mattocm »

bipto wrote:Can you point me in the direction of the page you're seeing this on?

I've been following the post and have been having the same trouble.

Here is an example site.

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=36457
VGZ

Re: Here's a site

Post by VGZ »

mattocm wrote:
bipto wrote:Can you point me in the direction of the page you're seeing this on?

I've been following the post and have been having the same trouble.

Here is an example site.

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=36457

Those are .asf files. They requires WiMP (winblows media plaguer) to play. I wouldn't suggest installing it since its one of the only apps that has ever truly crashed my system since i installed X (the other being IE).
VGZ; Otaku, Fanfic author, and Mac Zealot.
bipto

Post by bipto »

OK, Here's your workaround. Control-click the link to the movie, then select Copy Link Location. If you have Winblows Media Player installed, launch it, then select File > Open URL. Paste the link in the URL field, then click OK. It should buffer and play.

Not the slickest thing, but it's how I've been playing Real content, too.
neilio

Post by neilio »

Actually, the reason why WMP (.asf) files don't work in Chimera is because Microsoft has engineered the plugin in such a way as to only work in IE.

I can't remember where I saw this posted, but it seems to make sense as I can't get .asf files to work in OmniWeb or Opera, either... sigh.
Slumming at the beatnikPad : http://www.beatnikpad.com/