Why does Google+ not support Camino?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

oreocracker

Why does Google+ not support Camino?

Post by oreocracker »

I get in and can use it fine when I click on a link in my email and it goes to it, but when I try to access Google+ via the web, its says my browser is not supported. Not important as I can use FireFox, just curious.

thanks
makaiguy

Re: Why does Google+ not support Camino?

Post by makaiguy »

See that blue line of text displayed at the bottom of your post, above? That is your "user agent", a line of identifying text that is sent every time you go to a web address, to tell the remote site what browser software is making the request. Google+ must not recognize the user agent being sent by your Camino. So your question really ought to be directed to the folks at Google+.

There is an extension called User Agent Switcher that allows you to customize the user agent you send -- at least there is one for FireFox, so maybe it works for Camino too. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -switcher/
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

Thank you for the explanation. It's looking like google is trying to corner the market between their search, gmail, google+ and blogger.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

FWIW, it should work fine in Camino 2.1rc2.

But makaiguy is right; Google has recently started doing some heavy (and dumb) browser-sniffing on their newer properties, and this sniffing tends to exclude Camino 2.0.x even when it would otherwise work. (No one's investigated Google+ yet, I don't think, but we did look into +1 when it launched.)
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

It works fine once I get in. I wonder what other properties they're keeping out. Seems discriminatory.
herbs

Post by herbs »

oreocracker wrote:It works fine once I get in. I wonder what other properties they're keeping out. Seems discriminatory.

Howdy,

Naaa... most likely bad programming.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

This is the reply I received when I wrote to the webmaster at Google as to why they didn't include Camino. Maybe some people here can write and ask the same question to get them to include Camino. I'll post the google support link at the bottom if anyone is willing.

What's Camino?

Lysis
Top Contributor
Webmaster Help Bionic Poster
11:46 AM

Google support link:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters?hl=en
dryeburn

Post by dryeburn »

oreocracker wrote:This is the reply I received when I wrote to the webmaster at Google as to why they didn't include Camino. Maybe some people here can write and ask the same question to get them to include Camino. I'll post the google support link at the bottom if anyone is willing.

What's Camino?

Why didn't you tell them "Google it!"?

I did, and the top hit is <http://caminobrowser.org/>

An "Oops" moment, and not even on the political scene.
David
oreocracker

Post by oreocracker »

LOL! I should have.