Google is hiding my email due to conflict with ad-blocking

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

thom-22

Re: Google is hiding my email due to conflict with ad-blocki

Post by thom-22 »

ivankreipe wrote:I trust someone will fix the "visited links" glitch. It's only a problem where there are multiple links within one email message. I've been checking my emails every day for years and it sure USED TO WORK, but it doesn't any more. If someone fixes it, I'll mow your lawn for a whole summer.

See the second paragraph of my Dec. 20 post. I don't think it's a "glitch" -- it's just the way the web works now, or at least how Google works. If a site doesn't want to let you use your own colors, there's nothing Camino can do about it.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Lisa's Applescripts for Camino
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

To thom-22
I'm most emphatically not misunderstanding anything! First of all, let's forget everything I said about "changing colors". I'll be happy with the sites default colors. I've been checking my emails every day in the same way for at least 4 years. I get 8-10 per day. I have it set up to get everything published on one particular subject each day. That returns me links to 4-9 stories each day in one email. I click the first link, a page opens and I read my story, close it and am taken back to that email with the list of links to my subject. Now, the first link should be the "visited" color while the rest are the "unvisited" color. Right?
That's the way it has been working EVERY DAY for the past 4 years! I get an email with multiple links in it and as I go through the list, they change from unvisited to visited. Only now, since this fiasco that started back in November if memory serves, it no longer works at all. Now remember, we're talking about multiple links within one email. It used to work perfectly and still does in Firefox, now, in Camino it does not work at all!

I did what was suggested and now my home page and bookmarks are back, but now the page again takes 8 1/2 minutes to load IF you babysit it. I'll explain. Double-click in the dock to start the process. A blank page comes up in about 8 seconds with the bottom bar saying "Looking up http://www.google.com". Two minutes later a pop-up comes saying "www.google.com could not be found". Click the "try again" button, button goes "grayed-out" Five minutes later, same pop-up, grayed-out turns active again, click again and, Viola', page loads! If you don't stay with it and perform those last two clicks on cue, it stays hung up until you do. Needs work. Oh well.
Thanks
Ivan
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

Nothing has changed since my last post. Prior to this Nov. fiasco, I spent 60% of my online time on Camino. Now it's 20%, because of the lost functionality of the visited links. I'm no coder, but I have a difficult time imagining why that very useful feature has to be sacrificed. It's not like we're asking for a brand new feature, I'd just like to see a feature that worked fine for all those years and somehow got broken in this last redo, be restored to it's previous working state. Please, somebody step up to the plate and do what's right. Finish the job. I would like to go back to using Camino as my primary browser.
The lawn-mowing offer still stands.
Ivan
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

I've given up hope of having the browser ever regain it's full functionality and I guess I'll have to settle for the crippled version now running. It still takes over 11 minutes and 3 separate inputs to start and the visited links indication is gone forever. If it weren't for the excellent "auto form fill" feature, I would delete the browser from my system. By the way, the Firefox implementation of auto-form-fill is almost as good, and Chrome recently improved theirs as well. As it is now, I check my emails in Firefox, noting those needing a response, only then do I go to Camino to address these. It would be nice to have back those features that were lost, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ivan
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

I can't think why it would take that long just to start the browser. Have you got a long history list, long download list or/and large number of fonts installed?
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

RPMozley wrote:I can't think why it would take that long just to start the browser. Have you got a long history list, long download list or/and large number of fonts installed?
I don't think so. I recently ran Onyx and it trashed the history list and I think the download list as well. I've never put any fonts on it, it has just what it came with. Until this fiasco last nov. or whenever, it worked perfectly. starting in 20 seconds or so. In fact I rarely used any of the 3 other browsers. You see, Camino and to a lesser extent Firefox have a nasty habit of not displaying the whole web page, whereas Safari and Chrome do display the whole page. So when I'd come across a reference to something that wasn't there, I knew I had to go to another browser to see it. Pages from the White House and Playboy look dramatically different on Camino than they do on Safari.
What I really miss is the visited links indicator, it used to work perfectly and still does in Firefox, but it does not work at all anymore, and sadly, no one seems at all interested in fixing it. Oh well.
Ivan
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

ivankreipe wrote:It still takes over 11 minutes and 3 separate inputs to start and the visited links indication is gone forever.

Does it help if you turn off dns prefetching (documented here)?
  1. type 'about:config' in the location bar and press return (see the first paragraphs on this page).
  2. click the big button on the page that appears
  3. in the search field below the toolbars paste: 'network.dns.disablePrefetch'
  4. double click the first line that appears, this will set the value to 'true' (default is false)
The browser should now start up normally, without delays.
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

dear phlw13
i did the first 3 things you suggested but nothing happened. no line appeared, hit return, nothing, clicked the magnifying glass, nothing else happened. dead end. i closed the page. now i've got another problem. every time i try to login the gmail, it won't let me. it gives an error message "Your browser's cookie functionality is turned off. Please turn it on." when i go to camino, preferences, privacy, i've tried checking and unchecking every possible combination those cookie preferences.always the same message, can't login at all. i've about had it.

ivan