Google is hiding my email due to conflict with ad-blocking

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

phiw13

Re: Google is hiding my email due to conflict with ad-blocki

Post by phiw13 »

@ivankreipe

* I'm not clear what your problem with link colors is; by default Camino uses the colors for links / visited links as set by the page authors. Visiting a link should change the color to 'visited' state immediately.

* You can have Camino remember your open pages when you restart the browser, or not. It is a preference (that you apparently have set). See Camino > Preferences > General tab and make sure 'Load the pages that were open before quitting' is not checked. I think that is what you want.

* if you continue to have problems with Camino settings, consider visiting our excellent documentation pages. You can also access those from Camino's Help menu.

edit: corrected link
Last edited by phiw13 on November 24th, 2011, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

Let me clarify the problem with the visited link colors. I frequently get 1; a list of links in response to a search engine query. 2; an email containing multiple links pertaining to one subject. When you are first presented with this list of links, they are all in the unvisited state lets say purple as opposed to regular (non-link) text which is black. Once you click on a link or visit it, that purple text turns to, lets say maroon. The “visited” color signifying than you’ve already been there. These colors are set by the web page designer and are typically different, but sometimes not obviously so. You have the option to change them and I usually do, to a more pronounced blue, and red when visited. Then it’s unmistakable where I’ve already been and where I still need to go. This is an absolute necessity when returning after being interrupted.
In response to cflawson. When you click a link, it does “flash” to the other color for 1/4 of a second just before the linked shows up, but that’s meaningless because after you’ve finished looking at that page, and return to the list of links, it hasn’t changed after all, it’s still the “unvisited” color. That is the problem, it used to work fine, it doesn’t work at all anymore.
In response to phlw13, I prefer my own bolder color change to the authors more subtle change, but I can certainly live with his colors as long as they are discernibly different. As it is, they simply don’t work at all and haven’t under any conditions for a couple of weeks now. Sadly there’s more problems.
In your last note there was a link to "excellent documentation pages", it doesn’t work. It returns a “Page not found”.
When I first encountered this “blank message” problem, I did indeed consult the Camino Help menu. For a good 4 hours, I searched all the way to the very end of every single avenue until I’d read or skimmed every single thing that was there. Then I did it again to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. There was absolutely nothing in there that related to the problem. I find that to be usually the case, only very rarely does “help” ever address my problem. A friend of mine, Doug Briggs, is a published author who writes of such things “most of the people who write help are far too familiar with the subject to be of any use”. It was only after a long diligent and circuitous path did I finally find my way to this board.
As i said, Camino has been taking almost 10 minutes to load every time for these last 2 weeks and I’d had a bellyful of that, so I downloaded a fresh copy and trashed the old, (1 week old) copy. I installed the new copy, fired it up and voila! it’s back to a very snappy 11 second mostly loaded, 17 second completely loaded state. Oh, one more thing, now the messages are gone again. The first problem revisited. To summarize, still no visited links indicator, and the emails are blank again.
ps I had to catch up on my emails, so I used Safari and was again reminded of just how much better Camino’s “fill forms” is than Safari’s. I get many daily invitations to sign petitions (save the whales, ask your congressman to support***, etc) In Camino, all the lines, (name add., zip, etc) are already filled in! All I have to do is click “sign” and close the page. Perfect.
In Safari all the lines are blank. I can’t touch type (don’t ask), so all page navigation has to be done by trackball making the following cumbersome at best. I have to click on each field to locate the insertion point there, then type the first character, Safari fills in the rest of the line, hit spacebar to confirm and on to the next line. This takes so much longer, 5 or 6 times longer, than Camino’s way, that some times I’d like to, but just don’t have time and it doesn’t get done.

Thanks

Ivan
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

ivankreipe: do you have history set to '0' (days) ?
(Camino Preferences > History pane: Remember visited pages for)
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

It's set for 3 days. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. Messages still all blank.

Thanks

Ivan
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

ivankreipe wrote:It's set for 3 days. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

Strange. I have no idea why visited links wouldn't change color.
ivankreipe wrote:Messages still all blank.

If you are using Camino 2.0.9, that is to be expected. As explained up thread, only Camino 2.1rc3 works correctly.

I suspect you have some real strange settings somewhere in your profile. I propose you start with clean settings; do the following:
  1. Download Camino 2.1rc3 and install.
  2. Move your Camino profile from ~/Library/Application Support/ to the desktop (quit Camino before doing this)
  3. Start Camino 2.1rc3. It will start with a default profile. You can import your bookmarks from your old profile: File Menu > Import Bookmarks…, choose 'Select a file…' and navigate to where you put your old profile, select the bookmarks.plist.
  4. Navigate to a page, or do a search. Follow some links and go back. Visited links should be coloured differently.
  5. Configure Camino to your liking using the preferences.
Hopefully everything will now work correctly.
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

One step forward, two steps back. A couple of days ago, I got an invitation to download a new version of Camino 2.1 which I did. The good news is that gmail now has the messages back! Camino takes 8 min. 41 sec. to load completely . I have a lot on my home page, some of it is visible in 10 sec., most in 20 sec., and in 30 or so apparently all of it. Yesterday I tried going to gmail as soon as it was visible in the bookmark bar and that took 9 min. 20 sec.

I have been spending about an hour every day in gmail on Camino for at least a year because I like the way Camino handles visited links and fill forms. Everything worked perfectly until this problem of the blank messages and non-working visited links happened simultaneously. During that entire year "I NEVER CHANGED ANYTHING!" I never even opened up the preferences panel. Yet it is still not working exactly as I described it in my previous long post and it's damned frustrating.

To phiw13; When I clicked on your download link, I got this. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15894455/Shared/cam.jpg That for me was a dead end. Also earlier I tried another suggestion that involved navigating to and manipulating these “under the hood” folders and after a couple of hours of getting nowhere, I threw in the towel. I don’t know the significance of ~ ,that may have something to do with it. See my Doug Briggs quote.

Thanks

Ivan
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

ivankreipe wrote:One step forward, two steps back. A couple of days ago, I got an invitation to download a new version of Camino 2.1 which I did. The good news is that gmail now has the messages back!

Yes, that is expected as explained earlier in this thread.

ivankreipe wrote:Camino takes 8 min. 41 sec. to load completely . I have a lot on my home page, some of it is visible in 10 sec., most in 20 sec., and in 30 or so apparently all of it. Yesterday I tried going to gmail as soon as it was visible in the bookmark bar and that took 9 min. 20 sec.

Just to be sure, this didn't happen with Camino 2.0.9 ?
As far as Camino 2.1 is concerned, we diagnosed such a slow loading of pages as the side effect of a new feature in Camino; this conflicts with the (buggy) software found on some older routers. You should check if there is a software update available for your router.

Out of curiosity, can you tell us which router you are using, and eventually the name of your ISP ?

ivankreipe wrote:To phiw13; When I clicked on your download link, I got this. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15894455/Shared/cam.jpg That for me was a dead end. Also earlier I tried another suggestion that involved navigating to and manipulating these “under the hood” folders and after a couple of hours of getting nowhere, I threw in the towel. I don’t know the significance of ~ ,that may have something to do with it. See my Doug Briggs quote.

1. After following that link and the page loads, you click on the link that says 'camino.dmg' and the download will starts. I hoped that it would be obvious…
You don't need to download that one though, now that you've upgrade to the 2.1 release build.

2. the '~' represents your home folder, where you have a folder named 'library' inside of which you'll find a folder named 'application support', inside of which the 'Camino' can be found.
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

To phlw13: The router is a "2 wire" and the ISP is AT&T. I just finished another session trying to get Camino to work properly like it did before. I did what you suggested in your 12/3/11 post. First I closed Camino. The only thing that had the term "profile" was a 75 byte file called "profile.manifest" That would not open by any means and seemed awfully small, which I took to the desktop. I saved a copy of "bookmarks.plist" to my desktop as well. I started Camino and it took 11 min. 35 sec. to load. I looked around gmail and found that when I had multiple links in one email, (a daily occurrence), when you click a link, it does “flash” to the other color for 1/4 of a second just before the linked page shows up, but that’s meaningless because after you’ve finished looking at that page, and return to the list of links, it hasn’t changed after all, it’s still the “unvisited” color. That is still the problem and I have a difficult time imagining how something as simple as that could be so stubbornly defying correction. It worked fine for years, now, no. It works perfectly in Firefox. I then restarted Camino. This time the screen was blank for 1 min. 25 sec. after 3 min. 34 sec. my home page was about 25% loaded, then it was completely up in 9 min. 41 sec. When it was up, all my bookmarks were there and I didn't have to restore anything. I also noted that all my browsers, Camino, Firefox, Safari and Chrome have a form of color coded, visited/unvisited links indicators that work fine everywhere EXCEPT LINKS WITHIN ONE EMAIL! Safari and Chrome have never had this feature. Firefox has it, Camino had it but lost it. I guess I'll always have to do some browser-switching. Firefox has an awesome extension called "download helper" that allows you to download movies and works most of the time and it's the only one with this feature. Camino has that killer form fill feature and if they'd fix that within an email link indicator then it would be the best way to read emails. I still have to go to Chrome or Safari if I want to see everything on a page that the designer wanted to be seen. Firefox and Camino have a bad habit of not displaying the whole page. Still hoping.
Thanks
Ivan
thom-22

Post by thom-22 »

ivankreipe wrote:I did what you suggested in your 12/3/11 post. First I closed Camino. The only thing that had the term "profile" was a 75 byte file called "profile.manifest" That would not open by any means and seemed awfully small, which I took to the desktop. I saved a copy of "bookmarks.plist" to my desktop as well.

Your Camino profile is the whole folder called "Camino" inside the "Application Support" folder inside the "Library" folder in your home directory. Quit Camino, drag that whole folder to your desktop, and re-launch Camino. Browse around to the relevant pages testing for each of the various issues you've described. Let us know which, if any, problems have gone away, and which are still present.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Lisa's Applescripts for Camino
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

To thom-22
I did what you said and it launched right away instead of 10 minutes like before. It displays the pages better too. It displays gmail just like Chrome. Sweet. As for visited links, within one email, it still doesn't work at all. It used to, not any more. For a web search, the default colors are light blue and Aggie-colored (maroon?) It does display those colors, so it works. I went into preferences and changed to my colors bright blue and bright red. When you first click a link it flashes red for 1/4 second, but when you leave that page and go back to the list it's maroon, not red. Oh well.
Now, PLEASE tell me how to restore my bookmarks. Step by step if you would, don't assume I know anything
Thanks
Ivan.
thom-22

Post by thom-22 »

To get your bookmarks back: Quit Camino. Open the old Camino folder that you dragged to your desktop. Now open the new folder called "Camino" inside the "Application Support" folder inside the "Library" folder in your home directory -- Camino created this new one when it launched and couldn't find the old one. Drag the file called "Bookmarks.plist" from the old folder on the desktop to the new folder. Launch Camino and you should have your bookmarks back.

I think you're misunderstanding what is supposed to happen when you set link colors in Preferences -- they only get used as a default when a website doesn't specify its own colors. If Gmail is setting it's own colors, then what you're seeing is the way it's supposed to work, not a problem with Camino. (There should probably be some hint text for the setting, because I suspect a lot of users would have this misunderstanding.) Now, I believe there's a hidden pref you can change, as described here, to force sites to use your colors rather than theirs, but doing so can break the display of some pages. Try it and see; if the page doesn't display properly, then you'll have to set the hidden pref back and live with the website's colors.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Lisa's Applescripts for Camino
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

thom-22
Thanks, I did what you said and now my bookmarks are back. Now, how do I get my home page back? I've had it a long time and don't remember how I got it . I think it consisted of a bunch of options from Google. It had a preview of mail, weather, clock, sports scores, hulu, among other things. Thanks again for your help.
Ivan
thom-22

Post by thom-22 »

Set the URL to your home page in Camino Preferences > General > "Home Page:".
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

In addition to what thom-22 suggests, I suspect you want iGoogle.
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

phlw13 and thom-22
Thanks, now my home page is back and I'm all set. Oh, one more thing (who said that). I trust someone will fix the "visited links" glitch. It's only a problem where there are multiple links within one email message. I've been checking my emails every day for years and it sure USED TO WORK, but it doesn't any more. If someone fixes it, I'll mow your lawn for a whole summer.
Thanks
Ivan