Google is hiding my email due to conflict with ad-blocking

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

ivankreipe

Re: Google is hiding my email

Post by ivankreipe »

I don't see what Chrome has to do with it. My gmail works fine in Chrome, it's Camino that has the problem.
I use different browsers for different things, but for gmails Camino's not the best one, it's the ONLY one!
Thanks for the help.

Ivan
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

ivankreipe wrote:I don't see what Chrome has to do with it.

Who said anything about Google Chrome ?
My previous comment points to a folder inside Camino's profile folder (that folder is named Chrome).
lizbass

Post by lizbass »

I turned off Block Web Advertising and Empty Cache now I can read my messages.
Thanks
Liz
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

lizbass wrote:I turned off Block Web Advertising and Empty Cache now I can read my messages.

Note that you only need to turn "Block web advertising" off while you're actively using Gmail; once you leave Gmail or switch to another tab/window to do something else (even if you leave Gmail open in the background for later), you can turn "Block web advertising" back on to have its benefits on other sites. Then, when you want to use Gmail again, just turn "Block web advertising" back off again temporarily.

You shouldn't need to empty the cache at all.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
Yanson

Re: Google is hiding my email due to conflict with ad-blocki

Post by Yanson »

I can confirm turning off "Block web advertising" works for me.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

…And, for those of you using 2.1rc2, 2.1rc3 is available with the fix for this problem. Again, if you made the user_ad_blocking.css change phiw13 suggested earlier in the thread, please undo it when upgrading to 2.1rc3 so that it won't cause problems in the future.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
HenriHudson

Post by HenriHudson »

Caelum75 wrote:As of yesterday, November 10, 2011, when I go to my Gmail account and click on a new message, it takes me to the message but the content is not there. It is as though the message is rolled up into a bar at the top of the message screen and there is no opening it.
When I go to Firefox or Safari I can access my mail just fine. What is going on? Any help out there? I prefer using Camino.
Thanks.

Had the same problem here under MacOS 10.5.8. Turned off adblocking (which i guess is of no use anyway since i use Glimmerblocker) and it immediately worked. Thanks to everyone in the forum! :D

HH
Melin

Post by Melin »

Uncle Asad wrote:…And, for those of you using 2.1rc2, 2.1rc3 is available with the fix for this problem. Again, if you made the user_ad_blocking.css change phiw13 suggested earlier in the thread, please undo it when upgrading to 2.1rc3 so that it won't cause problems in the future.

thank you :D
aodash

Post by aodash »

Uncle Asad wrote:…And, for those of you using 2.1rc2, 2.1rc3 is available with the fix for this problem. Again, if you made the user_ad_blocking.css change phiw13 suggested earlier in the thread, please undo it when upgrading to 2.1rc3 so that it won't cause problems in the future.

That was a fast turnaround - rc3 fixed it. Thank you!
marianne y

Post by marianne y »

Thank you for the suggestion to uncheck ad-blocking. It did not help to empty the cache, even multiple times, with version 2.09. But, unchecking the ad-blocking box did the trick. I Hate Google now, for what it is doing to gmail; can we say, "Big Brother is watching too closely now"? I also hate their flashing ads, as the flashing gives me a headache. At least I can now get to my gmail email messages without resorting to Fire Fox or Safari, though, thanks to that tip. And, I can turn off the block web advertising when I am not working in gmail. Thanks, guys!
Gwyon

Post by Gwyon »

Wow, that new build worked like a charm for me. Many thanks.
bfisc5ni

Post by bfisc5ni »

The new build works like a charm! Thanks for the quick work - I had been using Gmail's basic HTML as a lazy man's workaround and I was getting tired of it.
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

In the words of our illustrious governor, oops, I spoke too soon. First the good news, I tried for the umteenth time in the last 6 years or so to make the content/colors, (visited, unvisited, link colors) work, and this time it finally worked! Incidentally, Safari has no such option nor does Chrome, but it has an extension for it called "change colors" which I installed, but it does absolutely nothing. Oh well.

The bad news is that very feature, invaluable if you're checking a long list of links, no longer works in Camino! It only works if you close the browser then reopen it. That's wildly impractical particularly in view of the next major malfunction. If you close down the browser and then reopen it, instead of opening the home page, it wants to reopen whatever page was open when you closed it. If you want to get back to the browser home page, the ONLY way is to shut down and reboot the computer. If you're content to go back to the last open page, (for me , usually gmail), it takes a ridiculously long time. I've tried it at least a dozen times, always with similar results. This last time I timed it, it took 9 minutes and 2 seconds.

Camino's "fill form" is so compelling that I'll probably still use it, (Safari has an "AutoFill" tab in preferences with several options but, uncharacteristic for an Apple product, it's poorly implemented and only rarely useful), but I surely would like to see that link/colors feature back working in Camino.

Thanks

Ivan
ivankreipe

Post by ivankreipe »

Correction, In the last post, in the first line, insert "in Firefox" between "good news" and "I tried. It should read;
First the good news, in Firefox I tried for the umpteenth time in the last 6 years
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

ivankreipe wrote:The bad news is that very feature, invaluable if you're checking a long list of links, no longer works in Camino! It only works if you close the browser then reopen it.

You mean that when you click a link, it doesn't change color to "visited" state immediately?

cl