Things Camino can't do?

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

groumpf

Things Camino can't do?

Post by groumpf »

Seems that Camino can't be my personal browser because of:
no way to add alternate search engine such as startingpage, ixquick (I have duckduckgo but don't remember how I add it), is that so hard to configure a simple form ?
no way to have plugin such as Ghostery which is becoming mandatory for some sites that add a full of annoying bars
no PDF viewer like in Safari (in Firefox i'm using Google doc reader which is not as good as Safari built-in viewer)

BUT I'm using Camino at work because of its low memory consumption (Safari and Firefox are memory hog, and Chrome also I guess), so I don't have to restart it periodically like for Safari. It's an aspect also very important.

BTW I'll give it a try to test the RC.
thom-22

Re: Things Camino can't do?

Post by thom-22 »

groumpf wrote:no way to add alternate search engine such as startingpage, ixquick (I have duckduckgo but don't remember how I add it), is that so hard to configure a simple form ?

RTFM: Camino. Documentation. Customizing Search Engines
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Lisa's Applescripts for Camino
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

groumpf wrote:Seems that Camino can't be my personal browser because of:
no way to add alternate search engine such as startingpage, ixquick (I have duckduckgo but don't remember how I add it), is that so hard to configure a simple form ?

It looks like ixquick (and probably startingpage, since they appear identically) support the standard "window.external.addSearchProvider" method of adding the standard OpenSearch search engine definitions by JavaScript.

Unfortunately, the site only offers those options to IE and Chrome; it uses the archaic "window.sidebar" method of adding engines to Firefox and SeaMonkey (this has been deprecated since Firefox 2, iirc), and chooses to filter out Camino entirely in its dumb browser-sniffing (it sniffs based on browser name, not on capability; this is one of the exact situations where you want to sniff based on capability/support for the feature you want to use!).

You should complain to the site(s) that they're being dumb. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do when we support the standard methods of installing search engines, the site supports the same methods, and then the site refuses to expose those methods :-(

However, if you choose "Find Search Engines…" from the search field's menu, there's a link at the bottom of that page in the Other Collections of Search Engines section to MyCroft; it looks like MyCroft has user-contributed OpenSearch definitions for ixquick and startingpage, and you can use those user-contributed defintions to install the engines in Camino.

groumpf wrote:no way to have plugin such as Ghostery which is becoming mandatory for some sites that add a full of annoying bars

I'm not sure what this does, but there's probably a way to replicate some of its functionality in Camino. I don't have time right now to find the software and investigate.

groumpf wrote:no PDF viewer like in Safari (in Firefox i'm using Google doc reader which is not as good as Safari built-in viewer)

You can install the Schubert PDF Browser Plugin in the Internet Plug-Ins folder of your Camino profile in Camino 2.1, and then only Camino will use that plug-in.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

groumpf wrote:no way to have plugin such as Ghostery which is becoming mandatory for some sites that add a full of annoying bars

For example?

I haven't seen an ad in ages, and most trackers are blocked at the hosts file level by using http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/ (which has the added advantage of blocking them in other browsers, too). I don't even remotely see the point in Ghostery (which, for future reference, can be found at http://www.ghostery.com/ and was already the subject of a thread you started here at this very forum back in February 2011: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2117435 ), and I *certainly* don't see how its incompatibility with a certain Web browser would be a deal-breaker.

cl