Camino 2.1 and iCloud.com Compatibility

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

scullymulder

Camino 2.1 and iCloud.com Compatibility

Post by scullymulder »

It appears Camino 2.1 is not compatible with iCloud.com
When I go there using Camino, a page pops up saying my browser is not supported.
Is there a fix coming soon?
phiw13

Re: Camino 2.1 and iCloud.com Compatibility

Post by phiw13 »

Sadly, Apple developers have decided to only support a limited number of browsers :-( Not much we can do about it. As a user of iCloud, could you complain to Apple ?
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Note that if you spoof your user agent as Firefox 5, iCloud will let you get to the login screen; it's unclear whether everything will work properly or not, though.

As phiw13 said, this is all on Apple's end; sadly, there's nothing we can do about it, but iClould users can complain.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
scullymulder

Post by scullymulder »

Thanks for the info. That's unfortunate as I visit iCloud.com often.
dmnelson

Post by dmnelson »

For what it's worth, I think it's actually looking for a certain version of Gecko, rather than failing to identify Camino in particular.
It doesn't complain if I go there in SeaMonkey, which is in sync with Firefox 8.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

dmnelson wrote:For what it's worth, I think it's actually looking for a certain version of Gecko, rather than failing to identify Camino in particular.
It doesn't complain if I go there in SeaMonkey, which is in sync with Firefox 8.

No, iCloud is looking for 'Firefox/5' or higher in the UA string. If you look at the UA string of your SeaMonkey, you'll see something like this: (like Firefox/8)

You can check on this page, under navigator.userAgent
dmnelson

Post by dmnelson »

We're saying the same thing. Yes, Gecko-based browsers now include Firefox in their user-agent. The point was that it's checking for a version number, not simply the existence of the word "Firefox". Whether it's looking at the stated Firefox version or the Gecko version is beside the point.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

dmnelson wrote:Whether it's looking at the stated Firefox version or the Gecko version is beside the point.

No; that's *entirely* the point (and directly contradicts what you said above). Neither Seamonkey nor Camino should have to put anything referring to "Firefox" in the UA string in the first place, but Web authors are clearly idiots.

cl
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

What cl said. Camino and SeaMonkey have been forced to add that silly (like firefox/) to gain compatibility with the web at large. Nowadays yes, Firefox and Gecko are synonyms. There is only One Application That Matters, according to MoCo.

(Just try with SeaMonkey, remove the (like firefox/) through about:config; quite a few big sites break in small or bigger ways. cough, cough google.com)
dmnelson

Post by dmnelson »

I'm not disagreeing with anything that either of you are saying but I don't think I have explained it very well. From the standpoint of how things should be in an ideal world of web development, you're absolutely right and I agree with you.

Should they be sniffing the Firefox version? No. But since Camino does identify a Gecko version as well as a related Firefox app version, they technically could sniff for either one. And they would get a valid, definitive answer either way. If they looked at the Gecko version instead the answer would still be that the software under the hood does not meet their requirements.

In my original message I said I thought it's looking for a specific version of Gecko rather than failing to identify Camino in particular. I still stand by that but I will clarify what I meant: I wasn't specifically trying to nitpick about whether it was identifying the Firefox portion of the user-agent vs the Gecko version. My intent was to express that the block comes not from a failure to identify Camino, but rather from a success in identifying that Camino is based on an unsupported version.

As I understand it, Camino lagging behind is a symptom of something that's not really Camino's fault anyway... it's because the organization's focus on Firefox has led it to drop embedding support from Gecko 4 and up, which put the skids on Camino's ability to update...