Unhappy with 2.1

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

jasi

Unhappy with 2.1

Post by jasi »

I've been using Camino for two years now I think, since version 1, and I've loved it.

But after experiencing this update, I've decided today to rollback to 2.09.

1. The first thing is Offline mode. Most likely I'm offline because my lan cable has fallen out, or my modem has reset itself, which it does every few hours.

So if "Failed Connection" error shows up I have a good idea about what is happening, so I check the cable, and/or wait for the modem. But when the browser appears to refresh pages as normal, I am misled. I'm wasting my time checking email and some websites when I'm not getting fresh info. I can't disable the offline feature apparently.

2. Others have mentioned their unhappiness with autocomplete, so I don't feel I need to repeat that here.

3. That Java isn't now included is an inconvenience I don't want to have. I especially liked the monolithic feel of old Camino. I don't want to have to install and manage more than one component.

4. Greater instability. I'm getting more crashes than before. One seemed to be caused by clicking on the bookmarks bar too fast, and twice I've been unable to Force Quit Camino after it froze up. I had to reboot to get it up and running again.

I'll try the next version of Camino when it they comes out, but if it fails to impress me, then 2.09 will be where I remain. :cry:
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Re: Unhappy with 2.1

Post by Uncle Asad »

jasi wrote:1. The first thing is Offline mode. Most likely I'm offline because my lan cable has fallen out, or my modem has reset itself, which it does every few hours.

If you've got a bad connection, set the hidden pref mentioned in bug 547485 comment 3.

jasi wrote:2. Others have mentioned their unhappiness with autocomplete, so I don't feel I need to repeat that here.

Note that we are addressing some of the concerns that others have raised in the other thread; are your concerns the very same issues they have mentioned?

jasi wrote:3. That Java isn't now included is an inconvenience I don't want to have. I especially liked the monolithic feel of old Camino. I don't want to have to install and manage more than one component.

Very few users use Java, and in recent versions of Mac OS X the plug-in is included with the OS. Aside from Firefox 3.6, no Mac browser bundles Java, and we want to get out of the business of bundling potentially insecure plug-ins that most people don't use with our application. We understand this is going to slightly inconvenience a small number of users (including two of of us developers who use Java applets daily) on older OSes, but it's the right thing to do for the vast majority of our users, and in keeping with Camino's goals of being slim, lightweight, and using features of the OS when at all possible.

jasi wrote:4. Greater instability. I'm getting more crashes than before. One seemed to be caused by clicking on the bookmarks bar too fast, and twice I've been unable to Force Quit Camino after it froze up. I had to reboot to get it up and running again.

Have you submitted crash reports for the crashes (and bugs, if the crash is "repeatable"?), and bug reports with samples for the hangs? It's always upsetting when someone expericences a crash or hang (although crash statistics show that 2.1 has a lower level of crashes than 2.0.9), but we can't fix problems we don't know about.

jasi wrote:I'll try the next version of Camino when it they comes out, but if it fails to impress me, then 2.09 will be where I remain. :cry:

Please note that Camino 2.0.9 is no longer supported and will no longer be receiving security updates.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino