Camino 2.1, speculative look up of DNS entries for links

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

nykola

Camino 2.1, speculative look up of DNS entries for links

Post by nykola »

Hello Camino,

Camino 2.1 is now released, and that is great news !
I want to upgrade to Camino 2.1, but I don't, because of this entry I read in the release notes :
“Camino will now speculatively look up DNS entries for links on web pages.”
I want this feature turned off. Can this feature be turned off ?
When I display a page, I don't want Camino to run 72 DNS lookups for the 72 links because, *maybe*, later, I will click on one or two of these links.

Thanks, and keep up the good work !

Nicolas
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Re: Camino 2.1, speculative look up of DNS entries for links

Post by Uncle Asad »

Yes, although note that the feature doesn't just look up DNS entries for links once the page is loaded, but also looks up resources the page *is* actually going to use (scripts, images, stylesheets), during pageload itself.

(I believe pretty much every browser is already doing some form of DNS prefetch.)

Note also that, due to a bug in Gecko, you'll need to grab a nightly build of what will become 2.1.1 in order to turn off prefetch without also disabling history.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
nykola

Re: Camino 2.1, speculative look up of DNS entries for links

Post by nykola »

Thank you Asad for your so quick answer and for warning me about having the history disabled.

I want to use no development version, I prefer using an official stable version. And I want to tweak no secret pref, I prefer tweaking an overt pref.

I very much want to keep the history working.

So let's hope for Camino 2.1.1 ! :-)

Nicolas
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Re: Camino 2.1, speculative look up of DNS entries for links

Post by Uncle Asad »

nykola wrote:I want to use no development version, I prefer using an official stable version.

These nightlies aren't development versions per se; they only include bug fixes designed for 2.1.1.

nykola wrote:And I want to tweak no secret pref, I prefer tweaking an overt pref.

We won't be implementing UI to turn off the pref, because it's not an option that most users will want or need to change.

nykola wrote:I very much want to keep the history working.

So let's hope for Camino 2.1.1 ! :-)

You're much better off (in terms of safety and web compatibility) using the 2.1.1pre build and flipping the pref than continuing to use Camino 2.0.9 until we release 2.1.1 sometime next month.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino