Problem with Camino 2.1 and Flash

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

ritzyfiz

Problem with Camino 2.1 and Flash

Post by ritzyfiz »

Problem with Camino 2.1 and Flash.
Mac OS X 10.4.11 PowerPC G5 Adobe Flash have stopped supporting Power PC computers so the latest flashplayer I can use is 10_1r8.
After downloading Camino 2.1 I can no longer activate flash films. I can run flash films using Safari and Firefox, I had been able to see flash films using Camino 2.
I have been using Camino since its inception but it seems to be saying goodbye to me.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Re: Problem with Camino 2.1 and Flash

Post by Uncle Asad »

ritzyfiz wrote:Problem with Camino 2.1 and Flash.
Mac OS X 10.4.11 PowerPC G5 Adobe Flash have stopped supporting Power PC computers so the latest flashplayer I can use is 10_1r8.

No, the last Flash Player version for PPC is 10.1.102.64 (10.1r102); the version you have is very old.

ritzyfiz wrote:After downloading Camino 2.1 I can no longer activate flash films. I can run flash films using Safari and Firefox, I had been able to see flash films using Camino 2.

Beginning in Camino 2.1, a new security feature blocks all versions of Flash with known, in-the-wild security exploits. However, since there is no safe version of Flash for PPC, Camino 2.1 does the following:

1) Block all versions of Flash 10.1 older than the latest version for PCC
2) Allow the latest version for PPC, 10.1.102.64, on PPC only
3) Turn on Flashblock by default, to prevent any Flash from loading except Flash that the user explicitly allows (to help protect against the security vulnerabilities in Flash 10.1)

So you need to update to the latest Flash 10.1 and then click the Flash placeholder for Flash you want to use; see this page for more information.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
ritzyfiz

Re: Problem with Camino 2.1 and Flash

Post by ritzyfiz »

Thank you for your reply. So I searched and ended up here <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/857425> which is a thread concerning Flash and Power PC's {thank you to eidnolb}. This sent me to <http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html> a page holding archived Flash versions. I downloaded and installed flashplayer10_1r102_64_ub_mac.dmg - which is the latest possible Flash Player I can find suitable for Power PC's - if you know later please advise. As you say Flash media now appear blank with a symbol that needs to be clicked. I shall try this. (PS it seems best to run the Flash uninstaller first.)