Camino 2.1 - text no longer visible ?!

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

KMadvisor

Camino 2.1 - text no longer visible ?!

Post by KMadvisor »

Web page content is no longer visible using Camino in sites such as LinkedIn. Photos of contacts are seen, as is the "share an update" box. However, the basic content text is missing.

TIps on resolutions? Is this a factor of the new version?

KMadvisor
phiw13

Re: Camino 2.1 - text no longer visible ?!

Post by phiw13 »

Do you have adblocking enabled ? (Preferences > Web Features)
KMadvisor

Post by KMadvisor »

Thx for the reply ...

No, I do not have ad blocking in place. The problem occurs sporadically and I am still trying to observe a pattern that might help diagnose it. In essence, anything built into headings, buttons, certain blocks is fine. Anything that would constitute page content suddenly disappears after closing an unrelated application (e.g. excel) or sometimes when closing a tab for an unrelated site.

The problem does not seem to be site specific in that it occurs (randomly?) on many sites. I am currently within Homeaway.com and will need to short down and re-start Camino to restore text on the pages. Argh.

#-o
KMadvisor

Post by KMadvisor »

Update: this problem continues. However, I now note that it occurs immediately after I refer to an Excel spreadsheet. I have a registration file in Excel to remember logins to various sites (like this one) and if I am in Camino, then refer to the Excel spreadsheet and actually click on it, then go back to Camino, the page content disappears. Headings, side boxes, etc. remain visible, but page content is gone.

I like Camino, but each time this happens I must restart the application. This is a high cost of use that is rapidly becoming higher than the (high) cost of moving bookmarks to another browser.

Can anyone advise on setting or other fixes?
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

If you run Font Book, select all your fonts, and then choose File -> Validate Font, do you have any invalid fonts? If so, and you disable those fonts, and restart your Mac holding down the Shift key (this will, among other things, clear all font caches), then restart a second time *not* holding the Shift key, does the problem go away?

cl
KMadvisor

Post by KMadvisor »

Thx-trying some cleaning with Onyx ... fingers crossed!
RPMozley

Post by RPMozley »

What program are you using to view that excel spreadsheet? Does the same thing happen in Firefox 3.6.x when that's open? Oh and also how are you switching between applications?
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9