Google Maps not working

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Rodney

Google Maps not working

Post by Rodney »

I have this problem on two machines. When going to maps.google.com, I type an address in the google bar above the map, but it never loads, and it even gives me a still loading....slow? troubleshooting link.
When I use Safari on both machines, suggestions automatically populate while I am typing the address in that line and it works properly.

Is there something on my end I can do to correct this? Yahoo maps works, but I would rather use Google maps.

-Rodney
MBP 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 6GB / OS X 10.6.8
Mini 2.7GHz Intel Core i7 / 8GB / OS X 10.7.2
makaiguy

Re: Google Maps not working

Post by makaiguy »

Sometimes site-specific problems can be fixed by removing your cookies for that site and clearing your cache (already-downloaded copies of the page files).

Menu path:
    [If running on Windows]: Tools | Options , or
    [If running on OSX]: Firefox | Preferences , or
    [If running on Linux]: Edit | Preferences

Clear cookies:
    Privacy | Show Cookies - remove cookies (from the problem site only)

Clear cache:
    Advanced | Network | Clear Now

If that doesn't work, perhaps it's not individual cookies that are the problem, but that the entire cookie database has become corrupted. In that case, with FFox NOT running, go into your PROFILE files, and delete or rename the cookies.sqlite file.

See this Mozillazine Knowledge Base article re Firefox profile location and contents:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Makai Guy:

Thanks for your recommendations. I am using Camino, not FF, but I went ahead and deleted the cookies, and even went in and deleted the cookies.sqlite file, but when reopening Camino and going to maps.google.com, there was no change. It still doesn't work correctly.

-Rodney
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Rodney: it works fine for me.
makaiguy's instructions maybe wrong, but he's right on the core issue: throw away the Google cookies (Camino Preferences > Privacy pane > Show Cookies and filter on Google). And make sure you're not blocking Google cookies.

If it really doesn't work, try with a default profile. Troubleshoot Camino can help automate this (see the readme file for instructions).
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Sorry, didn't notice that this was in the Camino forum (using a link that brings up ALL new posts from all forums). My menu path was therefore off.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I removed all cookies, and tried again, no change. I downloaded the latest update 2.1.1, no change.
I then used the Troubleshoot Camino, and lo and behold, that works. So, definitely a profile issue.

Now, how do I fix my profile, without losing all my keychain passwords to my sites?

-Rodney
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Rodney wrote:Now, how do I fix my profile, without losing all my keychain passwords to my sites?

• Quit Camino if it is running.
  • In the Finder, go to your profile (~/Library/Application Support/Camino), and remove the following file(s): prefs.js and (optional, if you have one) user.js.
  • Launch Camino and test again (you will have lost all your preferences settings, but hold on a moment).
  • Works? Great, Camino > Preferences to set your preferences again.
  • Fails ? Hmm, quit Camino and remove permissions.sqlite from your profile. Test.
PS – Passwords are not stored in your profile, but in your Keychain.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Well this is getting irritating.... I deleted both prefs.js and permissions.sglite from my profile as outlined by phiw13 above, but that did not correct the issue.
What's my next step?

BTW - I know that my passwords are not stored in the profile, but I also read that Resetting Camino would remove any passwords Camino saved in my Keychain, so that was what I was referring to. Sorry I was unclear.

i am hoping to correct this issue without losing all my website logins/passwords.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Rodney,
  • Quit Camino and move your whole profile folder to the Desktop or other place.
  • Remove the Camino cache folder (~/Library/Caches/Camino)
  • Restart Camino; it will create a new profile folder. Test.
  • If the issue is gone (I certainly hope so…), you can reimport your bookmarks file: from the File menu : Import Bookmarks…, from File, and navigate to where you stored your old profile folder, select bookmarks.plist.
Other data that might be important to you: places.sqlite (stores your history), WebSearchEngines.plist (search engines). You have to place those files back into your profile folder manually after quiting Camino. Do so one by one, and continue testing (to be on the safe side).

Well this is getting irritating....

Yeah, I understand. Sorry for the trouble.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Thank you very much phiw13. removing the profile folder corrected the issue. I moved the WebSearchEngines.plist back in. Not concerned about the rest (I use URL Manager Pro so don't need any of the bookmarks or history).

Not sure what in the profile was corrupted, but everything appears to be working correctly now.

-Rodney